What's a "press-fit side plate" ?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

What's a "press-fit side plate" ?

Post by silver »

Just looking around for a riveter and found something by MotionPro that says for "press-fit side plates". Does that mean these don't have to be peened over ? Reason I ask is the master link in the chain I'm using doesn't have the hollow-tip pins like I'm used to.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... 805&mmyId=

I'm assuming that the plate still needs to be staked.
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

I have that same press. Yes you still have to stake the pins. All I do is put a huge mallet behind the pin on teh wheel side of teh chain and use a ball peen to peen the head of the pin just enough to keep the plate on. Never had a problem.
YZFRob

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I'll try ye good ol' hammer tomorrow. It was too dark for me to be swingin' it around tonight.

On a side note, the bike shop told that the master link has to match the brand and model of the chain. Does that sound right ? I thought "530 is 530 so ..."

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

On a side note, the bike shop told that the master link has to match the brand and model of the chain. Does that sound right ?
Yeah I'm pretty much sure. Otherwise the place I work at wouldn't have
20 different masters in stock.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

silver wrote:On a side note, the bike shop told that the master link has to match the brand and model of the chain. Does that sound right ?

Thats a bunch of bull. I have a D.I.D. master on a regina chain (used a clip link on this one and the clip disappeared). As long as teh pin diameter is the same its fine. Some chains are not compatible with others though, but theres not many. As long as its the same size (ie 530, 520, 525, 532, etc), pins are the same size in diameter and are the same kind of chain (o-ring, roller, solid, etc) it shouldnt be an issue.
YZFRob

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Well they've already lost my business from the "bait-and-switch" they tried to pull. They plead incompetence however I don't tolerate either from a retailer.

"...and the clip disappeared". And the chain didn't come apart ?

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

silver wrote:
"...and the clip disappeared". And the chain didn't come apart ?
Nope. Lost the side plate also. Seen it disappeared during a lookover. Link itself didnt backout luckily.
YZFRob

gane
Veteran Poster

Masters

Post by gane »

Must agree w/ Hotcam. while pitch centers, and roller outer diameters on same size chains are consistant, pin diameters and lengths differ not only from manufacturers but by grade of chain. thus say, a tsubaki chain in 530, 530QR,530 oring would require 3 different/non exchangeable masters. when coupled w/clip or staked masters, would make 6 possible. many 530 masters do exchange. more don't. luck G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."