Transmission rebuild, how much dog wear is acceptable?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
jimcos3
Veteran Poster

Transmission rebuild, how much dog wear is acceptable?

Post by jimcos3 »

Hey everyone,
I pulled my YZF 600R engine apart to fix the tranny. This was a little bit of a leap of faith since I bought it cheap and the previous owner had some wiring issues that prevented me from actually starting it to test the transmission but it had some definite problems. A few of the gears have substantial wear but one of the others just has some slight rounding on the dogs and slots. One of the shift forks is toasted. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if these should be replaced.

Questionable gears

Bad gears

Shift fork

Thanks for any help.
Jim

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

First pic, dogs are trash, But "May" be saveable.
Second pic, slots are trash and dogs are trash. Slots "May" be saveable.
Third pic, dogs are garbage.
Fourth and fifth pic, the blued fork is done, I can't see the others well enough to tell you but "May" be OK.
I would replace every bearing in that tranny.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

jimcos3
Veteran Poster

Post by jimcos3 »

Thanks for looking Dr. Jim. I appreciate your advice.

The pictures are a lttle blurry but the first two pictures are of the same matching dogs and slots. The worst wear on those gears is less than a 1/16" round over (can you tell what material I normally work with?). Is this something that can be machined off or addressed in some way?

The third picture is of the worst slot - dog wear (I didn't take off the snap ring yet) and definitely needs to be replaced.

The shift forks are in good shape and show little wear with the exception of the obviously damaged one. I'll take more pictures today after I pull the gears off the shaft.

Jim

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Tote it on over'n here. Mr. Tim cin tell ya how ta get here.
It'll REALLY help if I can see it.
There is a pretty good chance of gettin it machined but I gots to see it.
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

jimcos3
Veteran Poster

Post by jimcos3 »

Thanks for the invite Doc.

I'm going to take you up on that. I've been dying to see your shop. I saw your website so I know where it is. Are you around next Saturday?

I also would love to have you look at the crankshaft. One of my racing buddies says a crank journal polish might be a good idea. I've been wondering what kind of attention I need to pay to the crankshaft since I have it out (balancing, truing?).

By the way, I found a complete, low mileage transmission come up on Ebay that I'll keep an eye on to hopefully save some gear replacement costs but it could be shite. The tally on all the replacement gears for the one shaft alone is around $400!

Thanks,
Jim

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I was plannin on a ride around the penninsula on 101 on Saturday.
There's a bunch of guys on a local forum goin to go for a romp.
I'm gonna lead or sweep the fast group. One or the other. Or I'll say to heck with it and not. Sunday would work. I'm around most every day.
Give us a call and we'll set sumpin up
360-792-8630
Jim

Hey Kid...

jimcos3
Veteran Poster

Post by jimcos3 »

I'll call. Thanks.