Brake Failure

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
fe911
Veteran Poster

Brake Failure

Post by fe911 »

Can't figure out problem with brakes. Everything looks good. New fluid, new pads, feels strong. Master cylinder? Old calipers? Old lines? They would work fine until you got to where you were really pulling at a good clip. Then they would feel like they would start to bite down like normal, but as you increased pressure there came a point where they would feel like I was letting off. Any thoughts?

By the way, First time it happened I ran off the road and saved it. Checked everything out. Seemed Ok, went back on the track. Took it easy for a few laps, brakes seemed fine as I tested them, increased speed and braking as I went started to feel comfortable again(this was after about five laps. Started hitting it hard again. And at the end of the big straight, it happened again, started to bite really good. As I applied a big handful, it happened again. Felt like I let off the brakes.

Big highside this time. Broken collarbone. Still Hurts like hell, and this was last Monday. Ed
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Sounds like.
Brake fade through overheating. Change pads to EBC HH sinted.
Could also be caused by the master cyl piston rubbers letting fluid past the piston, causing a ruduction in brake pressure.
Hope this helps.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Bummer 'bout the crash. Glad you weren't hurt any worse. Clavicals are easy enough to break, but seem to take their time healing (broke the same one 3 times in 6 years and I was very young).

Get healed up soon Ed.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

This is exactly like water in the brake fluid.
Buy a NEW container of DOT4.
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

fe911
Veteran Poster

brakes

Post by fe911 »

pretty new hh pads on there. Lots of pad left. Maybe 100 hard miles on them. Thinking master and brake fluid. My bottle is a few years old. Typing really sucks right now!!!!!! Trying to wean off the pills. Calipers? Thinking whole new set-up for the brakes.
Finally got the flatslides really going, lots of debris in fuel lines and flatslides aren't a good combination. Worked all weekend cleaning the fuel system out. Just unbelievable how well it ran. I told my buddy that it was really running hard, and he said "shut up, you'll jinx it". He was right!!!!
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Bummer about your collar bone. They heal well, but it takes a long time to get all the mobility back. It was a question of years before I could get my index finger back between my shoulder blades, but considering that's not very useful or often needed it the least of your worries.

There're a million different combinations possible, but I got two R1 blue spot monoblocks from a breakers for 30€ each, a Nissin radial MC from the same place for 120€ and braided brake lines second hand off fleabay for I don't remember how much but it wasn't much. They were for a R1 but weirdly enough are plenty long enough.

Can't grumble about how it brakes, at all.

Cheers, and get well soon,
John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!