2001 rear shock upgrade !

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
rapid_g
New Poster

2001 rear shock upgrade !

Post by rapid_g »

Hello all, i have an 2001 r1 track bike and im finding the rear end very soft.
it has a standard rear shock thats tweaked as best i can for my weight and track riding but its still way too soft and not helping the handling.
the shock is in A1 condition as the bike has only done 6k miles.

Anyone know of any cheap mods/upgardes? do later 04-08 rear shocks fit??
thanks people. :help
1994 YZF 750 R (pink!!!!!)
2006 ZX10R (yellow!!!!!)

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

I wouldn't expect any stock rear shock from that era to be better, however few kms it had on it.
Most here who've gone for improved suspension have bought an Ohlins, usually second hand, and not looked back.
There are other good brands out there too, but non of these options is free. I think I paid 300 quid for my Ohlins, and that was second hand of eBay.co.uk

Cheers,
John

ps You could talk to Maxton with you being in Blighty, their rep. is second to none.
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

fe911
Veteran Poster

shock

Post by fe911 »

Since it's a fairly new bike, you could go the route of valveing and a spring. Just the spring would probably be a good start, and it's pretty cheap, compared to a shock. And if you buy a used racing shock off of ebay, or another place, you'll end up having it rebuilt and resprung to your weight anyway. But a good ohlins or penske is how I would go myself, good luck, Ed
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP