What I've learned about carbs recently.

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

What I've learned about carbs recently.

Post by Yoniboi »

Hotcams post really got me going:
Sea level, 40%-75% humidity

Factory Pro 1.1ti carb kit with FP e-tubes
120/122.5 mains
Needle on middle clip
14.5mm-15.0mm float height
2.5 turns out

FZR1000 Exup 1995
1040 wiseco pistons
Polished and portmatched head

K+N stock replacement filter in stock airbox
Moriwaki slipon and stock EXUP headers, EXUP operating
My engine's very similar (the Spondon) except I run pods instead of an airbox and I don't have the pro 1.1ti kit, but I do have FP eTubes and everything else is new (Yamaha needles)... so I got playing.
That said I'm at 700m and from there all rides go up, not down.

I set everything the way CAM recommended except I used 125 mains because I figured at high revs the pods would flow more and need a bit more gas.

The engine was crisper off idle, but still a tad woolly. From 2000 to 4500rpm it pulled like a train and then...... it hit a wall. I mean, really, it wouldn't go past 5000rpm at all!

So at least the bottom end was good!!!

I changed the 125 mains for some 150s I had kicking around and now it's got a great bottom end and a great top end, stomping, 2nd gear wheel spinning with no clutch (on hot pilot powers) !!! but the mid-range is still foggy, so I reckon it's running a tad rich. Next adjustment will be to raise the needles one clip.
That'll have to wait until Monday.
I wouldn't mind trying a 140 main either, but that can wait until I've played with needle height.

What have I learned???
a) That every bike is a world apart.
b) That pods make more of a difference than I thought, more even than 700m altitude.
c) That mains affect the rev range FROM 4500rpm, like 2500rpm sooner than I ever imagined. That was the real eye opener.

I also learned that using an old clean bed sheet wrapped around a blanket you can take the carbs off the inlet rubbers, turn them upside down and work on them without having to disconnect the throttle cables (the most pain in the arse side to working on carbs, reconnecting them that is).
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

I think Stan {EDIT} Steve sorry
is using 140's at sea level with stock airbox but holes drilled
in the intake cover.

So it looks like the intake snorkel is a major point of restriction for
these bikes at the top end rpm's.
Last edited by hotcam on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Weird thing is I've read that pods screw up your fueling as badly as removing the EXUP.

I've pinned the EXUP fully open and ridden around for a couple of weeks in the past and it really did kill the engine below 2500rpm, but I wonder if everyone who's tried pods has always removed the EXUP as well, 'cos mine goes just fine without the airbox...

gtlewis
Regular Poster

Post by gtlewis »

Yoniboy

Some time ago I tried Dual K&N pods and four into one exhaust. Below are the carb settings I used after after Dyno tuning. Standard 1000 engine.

Since then gone back to the EXUP exhaust and Airbox as I prefer it for my type of riding. Older and slower!

air filter: Dual K&N open pods
ignition: stock (NZ\Canadian)
carb:
pj: 45
paj: 125
crb spg: stock oem
slide damp holes: 1x 3.0mm
float height: 15.5mm
needle\pos: Factory Pro 1.0 kit/2nd from top
mj: 165
maj: 85
Notes: Pulls WOT at 3k

Two other things worth trying. Raise the tank at the front a little, maybe 10mm to get fresh cool air in.

And use insulating material under the carbs to keep the heat away from the air filters. I used EKA625 woven mat. Tapped it to the plate that mounts the coils, fitted it over the individual inlet manifolds, below the carb mounting rubbers, and down over the thermostat housing below the carbs.

Cooler air means more oxygen and bigger bang.

Just my 2C

Regards
Tony

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

hotcam wrote:I think Stan is using 140's at sea level with stock airbox but holes drilled
in the intake cover.

So it looks like the intake snorkel is a major point of restriction for
these bikes at the top end rpm's.
Im using 140 mains with bigger needle jets, with only a modded snorkle.
I gained a bit over 6 HP but the stuffing around & dyno time wasnt worth it. Exup still inplace.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Steve, I wouldn't think the exup would be of any benefit at all for racing purposes? Wouldn't you be better with something like a 4 into one?

Mr Lewis, are you saying that the mods angered up the bike? What hp figures did you end up with after dyno? Cheers.

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Cheers for the info Toni, interesting reading...
You've lost me with the:

pj
paj
mj
maj

pj=pilot jet & mj=main jet I guess but the other two?

My slides are undrilled.
You also have the highest float setting I've ever heard of!

There's a FP 1.1 ti kit and new eTubes waiting for me, well, for the EXUP1043, at the post office but the car's back in the workshop (I get NO plpeasure spannering cars) and I can't walk after tw*tting my big toe a week ago downhilling! :oops:

The bike it's going in is an EXUP (wiseco) 1043 with stock airbox, so I'm looking forward to trying Cam's settings, should be just the same.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

pilot air jet?
main air jet?

I didn't mess with those or drill the slides. anything i didnt mention
in my setup list is stock.
good luck yoniboi, hope it works as well for you as it did for me
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Cheers Cam,

I'm loling forward to trying one clip less on the Spondon too.. as soon as the kids give me a chance. Want to see just how crisp I can get it.

Also good to know that Tony was running 165 mains with his pods... I won't bother trying 140 mains now then!

gtlewis
Regular Poster

Post by gtlewis »

Spook

The HP on the dyno with four into one and pods etc was 131 rear wheel and before mods was 122. Nine HP gain. But mid range torque was no where near what it is wilth the EXUP and Airbox.

Top end was great, only thing was with the bike in that trim you always wanted to keep it in the upper third of the rev range. I worked out that if I kept it like that for the street one of two things would happen. I'd loose my license or my life?

It's a much nicer ride with the EXUP and Airbox in my opinion. Now if racing, thats another story. It would pull full throttle from around three grand but didn't take off till about 8 to 9. It was a pain riding in town traffic and when you got on the open roads you just wanted to nail it?.....

The dyno guy I used had experience with the EXUPs in production racing back in the day and spent many hours on mine and it wasn't cheep. In hind sight I would only recommend pods and a four into one for racing?

Regards
Tony