EXUP Worldwide newbie - old brotherhood member

The say a picture is worth a thousand words. Take a look at what the other EXUP Worldwide members ride, or post your own pride & joy. Please use your submission point, or post your own link.
Darren@Oz

EXUP Worldwide newbie - old brotherhood member

Post by Darren@Oz »

Hey

I used to be a member of the old EXUP Brotherhood several years ago
Just joined up the new site yesterday

I've still got my old 89 FZR1000. She doesn't get a lot of use these days, it's developing quite a few electrical bugs due to it's age and some fairing bits are falling apart. Parts are a bitch to source for these bikes in Australia, which makes it a nightmare to keep on the road. So it's been sitting in the garage a fair bit these days. Everytime I think I should just trade the old girl in for a newer bike so I can actually ride it rather than chase parts or electrical bugs, I look at the bike and just fall in love with it all over again.

Any Australian members that might know anyone who wrecks/dismantles these bikes please let me know! I've tried all the wreckers I can find, findapart.com.au, ebay - can't find anyone wrecking an 89. I've posted a wanted ad in the 'wanted' section if anyone can help - thanks

Anyway, here's a picture I took a few years ago. Engine is stock apart from some head port work. Everything else is stock, apart from some replacement dogbones which I purchased from a member from the old EXUP Brotherhood forum, to raise the rear a little. There's a few extra scratches here and there, thanks to it having to park up between my car and the wall in a very tight one car garage, but she still scrubs up alright. Once I build a shed, my mission is to restore it as close to original as possible. Most of it is original now, just needs a few replacement parts to tidy it up

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Re: EXUP Worldwide newbie - old brotherhood member

Post by FZRDude »

I could/can hook you up with your old screen name..... or you can just keep this one.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Darren@Oz

Post by Darren@Oz »

thanks for the offer
I would take you up on it, but can't remember my old username, it's been a while lol :crazy:
unless you can find it under my email address

no biggie otherwise!

edit: I just dug through my old emails
my old username was 'Yamaman'. So if it's not too much effort, would be good to have the old name back again, cheers
if not, no dramas

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Hi Darren, welcome back. I'll have a look at your needed list and see what i can do. I don't have any bits, but can source from Japan.

Yamaman
Veteran Poster

Post by Yamaman »

thanks mate, appreciate it :thumbup:
FZR...... What's that ?

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Welcome,

Nice pics of your machine!!
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Yamaman
Veteran Poster

Post by Yamaman »

cheers Michael

a box of OEM parts arrived from the US today. Thanks to the link FZRDude provided me, Flemington Yamaha has come through with the goods!

A couple of 'mickey mouse' mirrors moulded in the original white (unlike the aftermarket black ones). The plastic housing on my old mirrors had gone all chalky, couldn't clean them.

A new starter solenoid - the old one died when I tried to start it for the first time in about a year

Reserve tank sensor - I will finally have a working fuel tank reserve switch!

L/H/S cowl/insert (between frame and fairing) - still looking for a r/h/s in good condition

and I have some foot peg rubbers coming from the UK. Shouldn't be far away

Next on the list is a stainless steel screw & nut set for the fairings and the plastic/rubber adapters between the carbs and the head. Then off to the local guru for a tune and valve clearances
FZR...... What's that ?

Yamaman
Veteran Poster

Post by Yamaman »

just a bit of an update on things

I've decided to spend a bit of money on the old girl. But it needs a fair bit of money thrown at it. I could buy a R1 for the amount I'm going to spend on this bike and it will still be worth nothing in regards to resale value. But every time I look at it, or ride it, I just love it, so I want to hang onto it, as impractical and probably stupid as it might be!

Hadn't ridden it in ages, so decided I'd spend a few days over the Christmas break, pulling it apart and fixing the electrical issues that have been causing it to be unreliable..I gave it a general tidy up, polished it. I fit some new footpeg rubbers (from the UK). I also finally managed to source 2 brand new plastic filler panels (between the front fairing and frame) from the US, was good to finally replace the old broken panels. @ brand new genuine silky white mickey mouse ears mirrors imported from US, fitted. I cut the main electrical connector out (the one in front of the airbox, the source of most of my electrical issues..). Fit a new 8 pin connector, crimped and soldered the wires to the terminals. Lights are now all working reliably! I also fit a new reserve tank sensor (ordered from the US) and soldered up the wires which had torn off the switch. I had to drill out one of the screws which had seized itself in place. Reserve switch now works for the first time since I've owned the bike! The fuel tap snapped, when attempting to turn it back on, so another delay as I ordered the part from the US. New fuel tap arrived and I put it all back together.

Valve clearances haven't been done for over 80,000kms and carbies were out of balance - all beyond my current capability....
So I arranged to drop the bike off to a local guy out here who loves the older bikes, builds race bikes, restores all the old stuff. He's well known for being passionate about all kinds of bikes and great quality work. So he rebuilt and balanced the carbs, fitted the carb to head rubbers that I'd ordered from the US, checked valve clearances (said they are still good for another 25,000km), checked cam chain, changed/flushed coolant, new radiator cap to be on the safe side, fixed a couple of small oil leaks, adjusted the EXUP, flushed all the brake fluid (I had only done this recently, but didn't hurt to do it again), oil & filter.

He said it needs new airbox to carb rubbers - he had to heat them up with a heat gun to get them to fit. I was aware of this so will need to put it on my order list from the US. He also recommended ditching the EXUP valve - he tried to remove it to service it, but one bolt is already snapped and the other felt like it was going to snap so he left it, only adjusted it. He's not a big fan of the EXUP valve, reckons I'm better of buying a good full system and he'll jet it to suit. But I'm not so convinced. He's from a race bike background, was only really thinking from a top end point of view. I love how the FZR has such a nice steady power curve right across the range. I don't ride the thing hard, low to mid range is more important to me, so I'm going to try and keep it, even if it costs me a fortune. Plus I'm trying to keep this bike fairly original, as I love them just the way they came from the factory. I still have the factory muffler fitted :) He hates it, reckons it's too quiet lol! But the upside is, he said the engine is in really good condition. He also noticed the cylinder head port work that had been done by the previous owner. He was impressed how well it rode.

So I rode the bike home and it's running sweet. Idles a lot smoother now - used to be all over the place and the exhaust used to 'pop' and crackle at idle. Starts a lot easier now too.

So what's left to do ?
The back/side fairings are completely stuffed (lugs all broken off, l/h/s has a big chunk out of it and crack where the chain came off, previous owner). I have one screw holding them on... I could probably get them repaired, but figured it would be cheaper and easier just to replace.....I found a brand new r/h/s part in the US but by the time it got here it was going to cost me nearly AU$500. Can't find a l/h/s new part. So I decided to buy a second hand pair off a guy in the UK. They need to be painted in the right colour, but they are in good condition. Cost me about $260 delivered to Australia + painting. I want to send the main front side fairings off to a repairer to get the bumps and scratches repaired and repainted. A new decal kit is on it's way from the UK to be fitted once it's all painted. I want to order a full fairing screw kit, as there's heaps of missing screws, well nuts etc.
I'm going to order some brand new white rubber frame hole plugs from Yamaha in the US to replace the old yellowed plugs. The turn signal indicators storks and lenses are long past their useable life, so I'm ordering a genuine set off Ebay to replace them all. I'm building up a list for my next order from Yamaha in the US, just want to make sure I get all the parts I need.

I took the bike out for it's first ride in 6 months or more last weekend. I had the girlfriend on the back along for the ride. We covered about 360kms. Bike performed faultlessly, it was SO good riding it again. I love it. It was a fairly hot day, but we didn't sit stationary for long, so didn't really get to test if the bike still overheats or not when sitting for periods of time. But having said that we did stop for a few minutes in traffic here and there and no temp issues. So crossing fingers it's sorted the overheating issues.
FZR...... What's that ?

spook

Post by spook »

Hi Yamaman, thanks for the update. The force is strong in you... lol.
It's great to read an impassioned write up, and to feel your happiness in relation to your 89 Exup!

I agree with you in relation to maintaining the Exup valve for general and practical use. There is a huge hole in power where it used to be if you remove it. (if you know what I mean? :crazy: )

Regarding sheared bolts on your exhaust, you can always just break them all grind the stubs flat, center punch, drill and re-tap the m6 holes. It's not as scary as it sounds? Otherwise I have a near unused set off a Bimota YB11 here.

If you pm me your email address and make a list of the bits you are looking for, Alternatively list them here... I may be able to help acquiring them.

Thanks again for sharing the passion. Cheers,
Ralph

Yamaman
Veteran Poster

Post by Yamaman »

thanks Ralph
you just don't see these things on the road anymore. So they tend to stand out from the crowd and attract a bit of interest.
I'm in the process of putting a shopping list together, I'll let you know if there's any parts that I'm struggling to find

The Bimota exhaust/header pipes - is it a straight fit onto the FZR ?
The outlet of the pipes on mine isn't great to start with. When I first bought the bike it was rusted through, had to cut off the rusted pipe and weld on a new piece. It looks a bit messy. So might be a good excuse to replace the lot if the Bimota headers are a straight fit
FZR...... What's that ?

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Hey Yamaman,

Yes the bimota headers should be the same fitting for exhaust as they didn't do any head changes that I know of.

Just to let you know, I too had the option of just buying something new and just moving on( well I guess we all do right but so very few of us choose to stay married to our beloved FZR's), although I did get an FZ-1 that was only for the interim, while I've been taking a VERY LOOOONNGGG time gathering parts for my build. Unlike yourself, I am not leaving mine stock, although, having bought so many different types and kinds of parts, I will quite likely have enough to build a project and a stock machine. I also ended buying a very annoying BMW 850i from Japan which has significantly slowed my two wheeled process. Alas though, my Franken Fizzer will get built, someday!

Good to hear someone's still got the FZR fever/passion!
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Yamaman
Veteran Poster

Post by Yamaman »

sickle44 wrote:Hey Yamaman,

Yes the bimota headers should be the same fitting for exhaust as they didn't do any head changes that I know of.

Just to let you know, I too had the option of just buying something new and just moving on( well I guess we all do right but so very few of us choose to stay married to our beloved FZR's), although I did get an FZ-1 that was only for the interim, while I've been taking a VERY LOOOONNGGG time gathering parts for my build. Unlike yourself, I am not leaving mine stock, although, having bought so many different types and kinds of parts, I will quite likely have enough to build a project and a stock machine. I also ended buying a very annoying BMW 850i from Japan which has significantly slowed my two wheeled process. Alas though, my Franken Fizzer will get built, someday!

Good to hear someone's still got the FZR fever/passion!
Hi Michael

thanks for the advice on the Bimota headers. I might send Ralph a PM

Yes unfortunately the FZR's are slowly disappearing from the scene. Unlike cars, the bike scene is far more selective of 'classics'
The FZR750 and 1000 were the king of 1 litre sports bikes for nearly 10 years, they really set the big bore sportsbike benchmark like the R1 did back in 1998. Yet the Suzuki and Honda from that era are the bikes that get the recognition and consequently are far more popular 'classics'. When people ask me what bike I own and I reply FZR1000, I usually get a blank look. They don't even know it's a Yamaha. Every so often I see these bikes for sale for a dismal $2500... It's kind of depressing, when you see such a once mighty bike in perfectly good condition being stripped for parts...

In my late teens, I bought a Tamiya 1:10 scale model of the FZR750 OW01. I loved the look of it, dreamed of owning one. I still have that model on display in my cabinet in the loungeroom. I now have the bigger brother of that bike in my garage! So yeah the FZR is going to stay with me.
FZR...... What's that ?

spook

Post by spook »

I agree regarding the 89 exup, it was indeed a production 1000 cc version of the OW01. Frame styling, bodywork all very similar, I would really like to add one to the collection, as a race bike or roady :thumbup:
Bimota YB8-11 headers are Yamaha exup, so they definitely fit.