One last hurrah for my FZR... (with lots of pics)

The say a picture is worth a thousand words. Take a look at what the other EXUP Worldwide members ride, or post your own pride & joy. Please use your submission point, or post your own link.
koma
Veteran Poster

One last hurrah for my FZR... (with lots of pics)

Post by koma »

Well it's come time to now actively sell my beloved FZR1000. A few people have expressed some interest in it and one member of the FZR250.com forum is actively looking at it, but i thought i'd just post a couple of photo's of it as a bit of a nostalgic look at what you can do with a bit of time & effort, and a lot of passion.

It all started out when i got a call from my mate TBone (member of these forums) to say that he had found something i might be interested in. Rumour of an FZR1000 in a bit of a project like state going for a reasonable price. So after handing over my hard earned 'student-budget' money i loaded her up onto the trailer and shipped her down to TBone's garage ready to be stripped. Over the course of the next two months i had parts coming from all over Australia, and with a bit of help, a few skinned knuckles and a bit of swearing she was registered again looking like this.

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia. (After a glorious run along the Great Ocean Road).

After paying off the money i had to beg & borrow to get her on the road i started saving again for the next stage. It was at this time that i became aquainted with a good guy by the name of Troy @ MCR Tullamarine; and in a twist of fate i ended up having the bike fully resprayed courtesy of a bimbo in an old Lancer reversing into me in what seemed like slow motion. Total extent of the damage was a scuff to the LHS panel, a broken RH indicator, bent brake lever, scuff to RHS panel, and a scuffed exhaust. So the Manta Engineering exhaust was off and on with a Yoshi TRS! :D First time i heard it fire up i knew it was perfect!

So here's a photo i took after her make over.
Bolte Bridge (Docklands), Melbourne, Australia.

By this time i'd finished my time at uni and had moved on, and again saved a few pennies so it was on with some R1 blue spot calipers before taking her to Phillip Island for the best workout of my (and possibly her) life! Should've been there to see the looks on the faces of a couple of guys on R1's and Fireblades when we came in after having overtaken them on the outside at somewhere ~140-160km/h! One came up to me and after gathering his thoughts managed the question... "What is it!?" pointing to my bike. "It's a '92 FZR mate", with a smug look on my face. Golden!
Phillip Island Race Track, Victoria, Australia.

So since then i've been working away hard and ended up buying myself a red Suzuki K1 GSXR1000. Fantastic machine, but it just doesn't have the soul or character the FZR does. So now i've got two bikes and aspirations of some more heavy modifications that only an EFI bike is going to respond to. So whilst the Gixxer is in the shop getting a few little things tweaked i've been riding the FZR 1000 around, and i've come to realise that i'm actually quite attached to it! I guess it's inherent when you spend the majority of two months working on something, then the majority of the next two years worshiping it!

So here she is today; *cue music Fatboy Slim: Praise You* cos we really have come a long long way together. I'm gonna miss her when i see her being ridden off into the sunset by someone other than me; but it's something that has to be done.

Seems i have a hard time letting go of all of my bikes and cars! Just wish there was enough room (and money) to keep them all; but i guess that'd be a bit obsessive. :wink:

Cheers,
Koma.
Image K1 GSXR1000, '92 FZR1k Custom [Gone to a good home!]
Pedal powered till October '08. :(

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I must say i am also very attached to your bike!!!!

But alas, i am also on a student budget, so my current 91 FZR will have to do, and as you, i am also quite fond of my bikes gritty, lets stick it to em' soul>

As i'm also in Melbourne, and a netrider as your good self, i think we should catch up at a coffee nite, or maybe a thursday night mystery ride one day in the near future, and wax lryical about the vertues of FZR ownership
stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

stan wrote:As i'm also in Melbourne, and a netrider as your good self, i think we should catch up at a coffee nite, or maybe a thursday night mystery ride one day in the near future, and wax lryical about the vertues of FZR ownership
stan
During the warmer months im a regular at Southbank on Friday Nights, and can be found occasionally on Thursday Night mystery rides... but at the moment given the miserable weather and an increased workload my attendance has waned. :oops:
The days of student-budget-dom are over for me, but with them are my hours of freedom. I'll have to keep an eye out for you... before i blend back into the aether with 'just another GSXR'.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

nothing wrong with an obsession as long as it's only hurting your bank account ;)

but, i know how it goes. things have been very tight around here lately thanks to the piss poor job market in the new area we moved to.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

You have seen the pics, Now see the Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5UNjm2O ... ed&search=

stan

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Stan.... you end up buying Koma's bike?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I wish.............having just picked up $500 woth of fines, i'm not buying anything for a while........................

The Black Spur is a Fav run of many riders about an Hour out of Melbourne, nice to see some of Koma's best work

I just found it on youtube and thought i'd stick it up

stan

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

Well that video was a mild pass through that section of the Black Spur as the roads had quite a bit of slime and grime on them. In a few sections you might notice the bike stands up a bit quicker than it should; well thats the rear end finding grip again. :oops: ;) Some great memories though! On that day the best pass i had through there ended up not getting recorded due to 'technical difficulties' with my ghetto recording setup.

The bike has been sold to a very enthusiastic FZR250 owner in South Australia, and he'll be taking delivery of it next weekend when i go for my last big ride on her... all the way to Adelaide.
:banana

dereku
Veteran Poster

Post by dereku »

any chance you have a write up as to how you fit that tail on there?
Bike: 2001 Yamaha R1
Years riding: 4
Years racing: Career on hold
Crash count: 3

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

dereku wrote:any chance you have a write up as to how you fit that tail on there?
There are a few write-ups around as to how to do a subframe and tail graft onto a different bike. In this case the whole CBR954 subframe and plastics were used and mounted using some rigid stand-off's which were welded onto the CBR954 subframe. This then bolts onto the stock mounting positions on the FZR1000 main frame. :)

There's a photographic write-up somewhere around showing an R6 subframe being fitted to what i think was an FZR400/600.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Hi Koma, glad to see it's getting a good home, you did a fine job building it. My mate that wanted it is still about $5000 away from having enough money to buy it I think.

Anyhow one day I'm sure he'll get a fzr, and in the meantime maybe I'll catch you at a southbank coffee...

Saw your YouTubes, pretty cool vids. What kind of rig are you using to film there?
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

For those clips i actually just used a ghetto rig and attached my Nokia 6280 to the Y-support that goes from the tank to the fairings. I whipped it up out of some black electrical tape i had in the boot of the bike one afternoon when i was up in the hills and the roads were quiet.

I'll definitely be calling past Southbank for coffee on occasions but unfortunately due to a difference of opinion of posted speed limits i'll be on a pushbike for the next... well lets call it a while. :oops: :cry:

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

:hissy :hissy that's not so good to hear. Hopefully it's not tooooooo long. It could happen to any one of us :sad At least you live in a good location for bicycling. I'd have to get a new job if that happened to me.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

hotcam wrote::hissy :hissy that's not so good to hear. Hopefully it's not tooooooo long. It could happen to any one of us :sad At least you live in a good location for bicycling. I'd have to get a new job if that happened to me.
Ah, it only happened due to a momentary act of stupidity and a lapse of judgement; but yeah i guess it could happen to anyone. It's looking like it'll be a 12 month break with a court appearance so that'll tell you roughly what i got clocked at.
Indeed, thankfully due to living in North Melbourne and working in Port Melbourne life can continue on pretty much unchanged... well aside from my 1000cc two wheeled antics.

Not to worry, just keep an eye out for the guy on one wheel on a pushbike with Yamaha tuning forks on his helmet. ;)

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Koma, that bites on the loss of lic..... :sad But look at it this way.... more money for mods, less for fuel and insurance!!!!

Never did tell us who got your FZR.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

willi
Veteran Poster

Post by willi »

i feel your pain mate. il be coming off a six months suspension after being clocked doin 110ks in a 60ks zone. 14 december i get it back. but that dont meen you have to sell your ride. its a good time to maintain and polish those litle things you missed or neglected. but saying that the temptaition is there. in the shed. :roll: :cry:

did i mention, i hate pigs :poke
89 FZR1000
07 CBR1000RR
07 HYOSUNG COMET 250R
Image http://www.freshfm.com.au/

koma
Veteran Poster

Post by koma »

I ended up selling it to a very dedicated new FZR fanatic in South Australia. He's absolutely loving it and i'm sure it went to a good home. I don't think he's on these forums but he is on the FZR250 forums. He knows about the brotherhood so maybe he's lurking around here somewhere.

Well since the FZR1000 sold, i've only got the K1 GSXR1000 sitting there... and whilst its a fun bike to ride it's not the one i want to stick with. Soooo, i'll put it up for sale shortly (Australia's just coming into Summer), and then put all the money into a 'Buy-Koma-new-toys' fund for when im legal again. :)

Until then, i'll see how bad my desperation for riding gets as i can always just go and get a track license and then build myself up a trackie.

Mista_Whizzard

Post by Mista_Whizzard »

HELLO! Hey guys, here i am! I am loving the bike koma, its great! will start up a thread when i got time, with some more pics and maybe even a vid or two if i can work out where i can secure my damn fone!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Koma's stickytape idea seemed to work well for his phone.

I got a deal at the bike show on a "starider" (www.starider.com.au??) brand camera mount that bolts into the tank cap. Works
great if you have a camera that has the screwhole in the bottom for
using a tripod. Cost me $50 on show discount. I think you can also
see them on flea-bay.

Will post some youtubes some time when I get the opportunity to go for a vid-worthy ride.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S