Update: Spondon 1043

The say a picture is worth a thousand words. Take a look at what the other EXUP Worldwide members ride, or post your own pride & joy. Please use your submission point, or post your own link.
Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Update: Spondon 1043

Post by Yoniboi »

Hello there. After ten months of patience the Spondon is pretty much as finished as it ever will be.
The bike was bought as it had been put together in 1994. If you're interested in how it was you'll find the photos here in an earlier (10 months earlier) post.

I've changed the tail unit, made a new very minimalist sub frame from ally box section welded, had a new high-rise link pipe made (which is a bloody work of art), chopped the carbon fibre end-can so it stopped at the end of the bike and fitted a legal licence plate support 'cos it was adjustable so I could get the angle just right!
The oil cooler has been moved from in front of the head-stock to behind the front wheel but needs a smaller, slimmer item sourcing and centring.
Bought a completely new, new from Yamaha, 1995 wiring loom, then chopped it to fit the frame so that nothing hung down or stuck out.
New GSXR1000 1/2" clutch MC, new Brembo race brake MC, new braided brake lines cut to length, new KOSO race instruments, bars and mounts on a locally hand made upper triple-clamp finished with a highly illegal front light.
Tsubaki chain, standard ratios, swoopy rear view mirror (needs two to be legal but if you find me a Brembo race bar clamp with mirror support I'll give you a medal) and Michelin Pilot Powers to finish it off.
This winter the engine'll be dropped out and painted matt black, and the frame will be repolished. I'm thinking of painting a white stripe on the fender and tank to match the tail too. I'll probably do that but it not crucial.
Here're the photos:
Total cost... about the same as a new Z750. "You pays your money and...
"
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

Ebolavictim
Veteran Poster

Post by Ebolavictim »

Yoniboi.. that looks f@kin great, looks like a lot of time and effort have gone into it. Just love the colour have you had it out on the road to see how it handles.

that link pipe is mint. would that fit the standard yzf 750.

well done a fantastic job.

John
Sheep 1 Motorcyclist 0 - wool isn't soft when you hit it at 40MPH

1993 YZF750R
1995 YZF750R
1990 GSXR 400RR
1990 FZR 1000R

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Looks Fantastic John!!!!

:banana
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Ebolavictim, the pipe was made to measure. You give the guy your bike, you tell him where you want the can to sit and you go away. Three days later you go back and say 'Oh, man, that's perfect!'
I've seen other link pipes on other Spondons, Harrises etc and none have quite managed the same aesthetic 'flow' this guy managed... which is why I'm so chuffed with the outcome!
I take no credit mind, I just got lucky.

John

goingtoscotland
Veteran Poster

Post by goingtoscotland »

beautiful bike. i wish i could afford a spondon frame for my streetfighter. hell i wish i could get half the shit i want/need for it to be complete.
1989 FZR-1000 Streetfighter currently parting out. make me an offer.

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

RocknFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by RocknFZR1000 »

Wow is right, great looking bike love what you have done, I bet the best satifaction is getting on it and TARING UP THE ROAD!!! :pistol :rock
Thanks,
Frank
RocknFZR1000

My other toys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2kaUByDqM
http://cardomain.com/id/RocknZ28

If you think about it, It's Already To
Late!!! "FZR1000 in Your Face"

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Hehehehe... she's not exactly slowwwww.
And she's very very agile, which is odd, after the FZR1000

John

Ck
Regular Poster

Post by Ck »

wow, very nice work. Love everything about this bike!!

Cheers

Ck
FZR1000 92 Ru Model

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I love everything about the bike except for the front light John, sorry, everyone's a critic, think it needs a bit more presence in the front with some kind of fly screen and bigger lighting or something like that. The frame and swinger are so absolutely gorgeous, I would definitely like to get my hands on those myself.

Now that I've criticized, would you mind telling me the who, what, when and hows of how you dealt with your different gauge cluster?
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Sickle, nobody likes the front light except my girlfriend, and it's bloody useless at night, so it'll go... but I haven't seen anything I like more yet so there's no rush.

I also wan't to get the cables better hidden and loads of little details, especially mounting points and brackets improved upon. This winter'll see me spend more time in the garage than in the house.
There's the FZR to clean up and paint too, now it's finally running how I want it!

The lights are by an Italian company called Koso. You can find their web page no probs.
The speedo goes by a magnet in a disk mounting bolt and a sender unit, rpm to a coil feed, it's got oil and water temps, plus your typical warning lights and a gear change indicator. Everything's 100% programmable. Just have patience and follow the fitting instructions that come with it. Cost: 250€

John

goingtoscotland
Veteran Poster

Post by goingtoscotland »

where did you get that tail anyway? i'm looking for ideas for my 1000 fighter. so far i've been considering a 99-05 R6, 99-03 R1, 2004-2007 CBR1000RR, some sort of custom euro tail, or a bobber.
1989 FZR-1000 Streetfighter currently parting out. make me an offer.

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

The lights are by an Italian company called Koso.
Dope... I was talking about the clocks.
That whiskey again..... :P

John

going2scotland: I didn't like any of the stock RR tail units, because they just didn't seem to fit the look of the bike; So I started surfing the web and found a Spanish company that makes specials: a company called RadicalDucati. One of their bikes (a single sided swingarmed 999 streetfighter) had this tail so I got in touch and they import them from Italy... but they didn't mention the name of the manufacturer and it isn't written anywhere. So i had to pay the middle man. :?

I was almost on the point of buying a race tail for a CBR1000, the new one, it's a REALLY cool shape. ;)

Fatdog
Regular Poster

Post by Fatdog »

Very very nice John! :banana
It sure is a credit to you!
By the way did you ever get that darned Ohlins spanner to work?
Exup - Knee down
93 YZF750R

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Hey Fatdog, good to hear from you man :banana :banana :banana
Yeah the spanner got here fine and has seen lots and lots of use. It's a tad too small, the tab nearest your hand doesn't line up with the slot it's supposed to but it works, and everytime I think of filing that useless tab off I think 'Why bother?' The FZR and the Spondon have (almost) the same shock so it's the same story twice but it's soooo much easier to get at on the Spondon.
I now totally don't understand people who don't adjust their suspension. 'It came like that stock so it should be perfect like that.' I've heard so many times it's unreal. Even on bikes regularly ridden two-up.
I'm ranting. :hissy :hissy :hissy :hissy :hissy
Good to hear from you again, and cheers for the thumbs up.
John

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Nah I thought that at first about the ohlins spanners, but it is really
the correct size, see one tab is for pulling to tighten/loosen, and
the other tab is for pushing to tighten/loosen, depending
on where you can get access to the shock. That makes it more easy
to adjust even in tight fitting locations.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Learn something every day, Hotcam. Thanks for the heads up! Glad I didn't file it off now :banana :banana :banana

Schoon
New Poster

Post by Schoon »

RUFtech wrote:All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!
+1