Vic Titles Rnd 2 Phillip Island - a very short report

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
JasonL
Veteran Poster

Vic Titles Rnd 2 Phillip Island - a very short report

Post by JasonL »

Decided to run only the 750 and not the 400 aswell. This proved costly. For once I slept more than about 3hrs before a race (about 5!) got to the track in plenty time, wasn't impatient, all the formalities were a breeze, had plenty of time, feeling very relaxed. Pre modern were the first group out, on only the second full lap the bike died coming down the main straight. I pulled over onto the pit exit road and pushed it back to the pits. We were the first race out after lunch so I at least had a few hours to fix it.

Plenty of spark so turned attentions to fuelling. Fuel pump not working. Thought I had a spare with me off an old bike, wasn't sure if it was any good. Couldn't find it, rang Spook and Hotcam to see if they had one they could bring as they were coming along aswell. I eventually found my in in amongst all the tat I bring with me and we got it running again with the invaluable help of a 1098 rider in our garage. Managed to go out in the last qualifying group, BEARS, just to see if it was ok. Got about 4 or 5 laps in, did it again. Pulled it all down, narrowed it down to some sort of obstruction in the tank outlet - it was basically getting blocked. Tipped the tank upside down, tried blowing back up the line, but it was not clearing. By now the race was called and I experienced for the first time that rotten feeling of watching a race that I should have been in.

I'd had problems with the 400 through the week, including snapping a rear sprocket mount bolt, They looked a bit corroded so ordered some more, supposed to be in the next day but not in stock so I had decided to park the 400. Something was bothering me and late on Friday night after the 750 was on the trailer, everything packed up, I rummaged through some boxes of stuff I got with the 400 and found a new set of sprocket bolts.....I could have taken it, but mucking about unloading and reloading bikes, getting to bed late before a race, I thought better of it. More fool me, because I could have run the 400 instead of the 750. I probably would have come last in class, but with only 5 entered, one guy not finishing the first race, plus one of the Sunday heats cancelled for some reason, assuming I finished on the 400 then I still would have been equal 2nd on points overall!!! I broke my own rule of racing - always finish.
And not having a lot of time with other commitments, a lack of basic preventative checks and maintenance on the 750 has finally caught up with me.

I must have done 70 race starts in 3 yrs, practice sessions, qualifying plus a couple of track days, and in all that time I had only failed to finish a race twice - one crash and one breakdown, which was a fuel pump....on that occasion I had a different fuel cap on which wasn't venting properly, hence strain on pump, which is exactly what has happened this time, so one thing we can say is the std fuel pumps are a bit fragile. Anyway, a good lesson learnt and more importantly, I discovered it before the next Hartwell round in 3 weeks which is the one I'm leading P6 in. It's also spurred me on the get this EXUP ready, at least to always make sure I've got the two bikes with me!!!

It was especially disappointing as Spook and Hotcam were planning to come down and the weather was perfect. I hadn't been to the Island before and wasn't thinking too much asbout the track on my few laps as I tried to sort this problem, but its super quick and takes a bit of recalibration to commit to the fast sections...quite an intimidating track.

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

All the time your spending on them fandangled V4s you could have had the 1000 out & kicking some serious but. Now park up the odd ball Honda's up & get out there on a real bike!!
Great [but shitty report BTW]
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Ha! Oddball though? Dunno, they're pretty mainstream really, and I like being on something a bit different....doing a track day this sunday on the thou and am motivated now to get it ready for the next race which is June 19-20...but will get the 750 fixed aswell, hedge my bets! Plus the VFR can sit on the trailer with wets on if needs be weather-wise.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

That is a a shame Jason. Not the best outing for first go at the island. Apparently it is 'character building'. :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Well Mike I was due a dud meeting, I've been lucky for so long. Dunno about character building though, soul destroying maybe!!

When are you racing next??

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Dunno about character building though
I know, but that is what peiple keep telling me :)
When are you racing next??
Queensland Road Racing Championship 26/27 June.

I am also going to try and do a track day on 6th June. :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike