Round 3 wash up

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Round 3 wash up

Post by sbutler »

Ok here we back in one peice although very sore.
Yes felles I had a low side at T11 & it feels like ive brused a couple of ribs & torn a liggy or two.
The bike was fine a few scratchers overwise unmarked. Even the scratchers were caused by the bike sliding 1.2 metre;s into the kitty litter. READ [railway ballest] didint even bend the gear,clutch levers, Nothing!! Just layed over on the oggy knob & nothing touched.,Pretty slow corner
corner 11 probably around 60/70 Ks.
Happy it wasnt T1 at 200+ Ks 5th gear.
Had a great first lap untill then, was up in third with 1st & 2nd place riders in the series, & going strong. Then arseup I went. Riders crashing everywere. Probably the same issue.
Did a postmortem after I rode it back to the pits, & concluded the front tyre wasnt comming up to temp. Although it was sunny there was no air temp [around 14deg] & zero track temp.

Rest of the day I was playing catch up stuck in the mid pack dramas, & couldnt get a clean lap. Had another huge front slide at Corpret hill, [ a fast right hander 160+ks But that how the cookie crumbles.
So its rest up now, see were I sit in the championship & concider what to do next. Broadford is out for me.
Finished up with 22 points for my effort.
Im just having a rest & rethink.

Practice P3 10 Mins
Scheduled Start 00:03
Track FINE & DRY
Page 1 Issue 1
Start Sun Jun 27 09:32
Elapsed Time 10:01

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pos Bike Rider Sponsor BikeType Cap CL Laps Fastest...Lap Gap

1 30 BRETT CLARK (NSW) RB RACING Honda 900 A PF1 4 2 1:43.7410*
2 89 JAMES PACE (NSW) Kawasaki 750 D PF1 4 2 1:47.9950 0:04.2540
3 85 NIGEL TAYLOR (NSW) Yamaha 1000 A NF1 4 4 1:48.8970 0:05.1560
4 50 GLENN HINDLE (NSW) Honda 250 1 PF2 4 3 1:50.8420 0:07.1010
5 20 STEVE BUTLER (NSW) QUIVER PARTYS Suzuki 750 C PF1 4 3 1:51.1030 0:07.3620
6 96 NEIL CROCKFORD (NSW) Suzuki 750 B PF1 3 1 1:51.4040 0:07.6630
7 34 MICHAEL ONRUST (NSW) Yamaha 1000 B NF1 5 4 1:51.4680 0:07.7270
8 44 STEVEN GREEN (NSW) RB RACING Kawasaki 600 D PF2 4 4 1:52.0440 0:08.3030
9 69 PAUL GRANT-MITCHELL NSW Kawasaki 750 B PF1 4 4 1:52.4400 0:08.6990
10 54 ROBERT COLE (NSW) Suzuki 1100 D NF1 4 4 1:52.9620

Race DNF
Race2
Started 39 fininhed 32nd
Race 3
Strted 32nd finished 22nd
Last edited by sbutler on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Good and bad in that one I guess Steve :? I know what you mean regarding the kitty litter. Phillip Island has the same sharp rocks, that tear the bike and the rider to pieces.

You have walked away to play another, and that's good...bad news is that you will feel it tomorrow. Glad to hear everything is as good as it can be. Cheers.

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

Happy it wasnt T1 at 200+ Ks 2nd gear.
holy crap that's over geared steve! :roll: [/quote]

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Not only walked away but were able to keep racing, We call that a good one don't we ?

Sounds like a tough day at the office Steve. Glad to hear you are OK (ish). Don't think to hard :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Right, so that's what happened, I saw a lot of guys DNF and the guy you mentioned was a loose cannon at WP had been excluded from the results so I thought maybe he took a load of people out into turn 2 1st lap. It's a real shame Steve but the up side is no real damage to you and the bike, plus you were at least able to run the remainder.

spook

Post by spook »

This time of year I wonder if one would be better off running high end treaded road tyres?

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Cold tyres are a bitch, eh. I'm never game to go hard on cold tyres, and the
dunlops I've got at the moment seem a lot worse than michelins for that.

Do you have warmers? Do they get the tyres to temp properly or do you
lose a lot of temp on the grid etc?

Glad you and the bike seem to have come off
relatively ok, though any crash sucks balls. :|
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Yeah Cam I have adjustable warmers, but I think I might have got a bad tyre. Every race was worse then the one before. I was 10sec a lap slower & still having trouble hanging onto the front slides. So we looked at the tyre & it just wasnt working. Wasnt hooking up at all. If fact I gave my used tyres to a mate & they were working heaps better than mine!!!
The rear was working fine, the front looked like I was going on a cruisie road ride, strangest thing Ive ever seen. :hissy
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Steve,

More info - was it a new tyre, what brand, model and compound?? Had you made any changes before putting it on, ride height preload etc etc?????

spook

Post by spook »

Did they give you the right compound? Could have been a hard? Or new old stock from 1997 :) Even at the highest end of racing it seems the odd 'bad' tyre makes it way through.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Must've been from the same batch Rossi had.

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

I'm sure steve will confirm but his tyre was purchased new for this meet, same compound as last tyres -bridgestone soft front - and no other changes were made.

anyhow, i spoke with jason patterson who crahsed onto his head at T3 in the FE lead and then got run over by keith on the P&M; he's ok, released from hospital same night, cast on his broken ankle. typical highside. would have been ok if keith hadn't broken his ankle with the P&M..... that's racing ... we got pretty worried when the ambos didn't load him up and then the cop cars started turning up. I sprinted up to T3 to find out that when he landed on his head, he passed out and wasn't breathing from the neck muscle impacting... they got him back and shipped him off. good old ambos, they're worth their weight in gold.

btw, for those inquiring, thanks, i just couldn't manage to get the fz750 ready. had some brake and body work to do still on sat night. after trying to fire the engne on sat to find that one coil had stopped working. 40min each way drive sast pm to get another, fired up straight away, put water in, and had 2 new oring-ed pipes leak. so it'll be ready for another day. blessing in disguise i reckon, given the cold crashes everywhere...

goor to see most people had fun, i spent the day working on a few bikes incl steve's and jason's

z

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

spook wrote: Even at the highest end of racing it seems the odd 'bad' tyre makes it way through.
You got it spook. Thats exactly what happend. Just an odd tyre, nothing else to explain it. The tyre just wasnt hooking up. :scared
Its a bit of a bummer, because I was really getting on top of the Gsxr. ,
Ive broken a rib & displaced an other. Other than that Im fine. The bike is a little scratched but still good.
Bridgstone are replacing the tyre, in good faith, Great service.
Could have walked away & said it was my fault. So all is good.
Just gotta take it easy for a few weeks. Then have another go at this bloody eastern creek. 5th fastest in practice was good & doing it easy. Could have got into the 48s easy. So everything was looking rosie.
But as they say THATS RACING. :cheers
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

spook

Post by spook »

sbutler wrote:Ive broken a rib & displaced an other. Other than that Im fine. The bike is a little scratched but still good.
Ouch... ribs are a bitch, I've broken/fractured 8 since I started track riding, so understand how annoying/painful they can be. I now with out fail wear a rib protector when on track. Quick healing Steve.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Steve,

Was it a

YDC (ultra soft)
YDX (soft)
YDY (med) or;
YDZ (hard) ?????

If there are some dubious tyres out there we should all know what to avoid

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

YDC
But I must say Ive used these tyres since I came back to racing in 08 & have never had one issue with them. Even at the^6 hour in 46+deg heat they never gave a problem, & remember I was doing low 19s in that heat. Im sure if it wasnt so hot I'd have gone into the 18s easy. So I cant bag them at all. I think it was just a one off..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

one dud tyre that broke one rib and moved another. u did well to ride again the same day...

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Thanks Zol.
I thought there was something wrong Ive had a few other broken ribs & this felt the same. Didnt give me a real lot of trouble racing, only when lifting & pushing anything. Just a shame, I think ive at last got my head around this bike.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.