Slick compounds

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
JasonL
Veteran Poster

Slick compounds

Post by JasonL »

FZR1000 - what tyres have people been racing on?? I am looking at running med/hard but main concern is for some circuits in colder weather that could end up being too hard, and with short races, you need to be sure you've got enough grip from the beginning.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

I'll just go measure that piece of string. :)

With my considerable 18 months of experience I have come up with the following - medium rear, soft front :)

Up until last meeting I ran medium/medium. This was based on the exact science of what was available at the time. In the pre modern class I have seen hard/medium, hard/soft, soft/soft, medium/soft...never hard/hard though :)

The fast guys (Muzz Clark fast) normally run soft/soft. But they also tend to change tyres a lot. My last set of medium/medium I did 3 track days and 2 x 2 day race meetings. They still had lost of meat left on them but they were definitely not as grippy. (Too many cycles maybe?)

Ill now be sticking with medium/soft but will have to see how it goes at the end of the year when the track temp will be considerably higher than the 20 something degrees we had the other weekend.

Also I am now running Pirellis. I ran Dunlop for the first year and though they were OK and they were good value for money. Now I have gone to pirellis there will be no going back. :)

Probabaly doesn't help you a bit!

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

I've started using Metzler Interact Racetecs - K1 front and K3 rear - brilliant!!! Can't make them let go or slide (yet).

I've gone with the high performance semi-treaded Metzlers mainly cause the offer good life and if it starts to rain, I at least have a fighting chance to get back to the pits in one piece (I race cause it's fun, if it starts to rain then it's not fun any more on 'normal tyres, so I'm happy to watch others falling off from the comfort of the pit wall. :) )

I'll probaby get a set of spare rims with full wet slicks for when Duke22 and I come over to the Barry Sheene meeting next year - cause there's no way I'll be travelling all that way to watch from the side lines.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

I have run Bridgstones on both the FZR & the GSXR.
The new genaration Bridgstones are in the country now & Craige White has them. Im going for them.
Its up to you J, I did that 1.19.2 at the 6 Hour with a soft/Med in 45+ deg heat, Im sure I could have got into the 18s if it wasnt so hot,so that'll do me.
It all depends on the tyre. But to answer your question, soft F, Med R, Bridgstone's are what I used on my bikes..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

I used to run the old michelin pilot race M2 rears with the S2fronts both at 30 psi cold. Recently I've been running the bridgestone 003's medium's on both. Next race round will see what a pair of shinko slicks will do at our track, just for shits and giggles ;) I'll keep you posted.