A Good Day at The Track

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

A Good Day at The Track

Post by kiwi60 »

The alarm went off at 5.30 this morning, but it didn't really matter 'cause I been awake from just after 2.00 :hissy - hot night's tend to do that to me sometimes, and when mixed with a few pre-race nerves, well sleep was a lost cause.
I even went down to the garage at 3.00am to check something on the bike - couldn't see why not as I was awake anyway.

I got on the road quite early and made it to the track about 7.30 and claimed a spot.
The front disc's aren't right yet so I grabbed one of the local tyre / brake shop guys who was racing and got his opinion - looks like there could still be some misalignment following the crash. We found this by taking the offending caliper off, then sliding it onto the disc and moving it up to the lugs and low and behold the mounting lugs on the caliper were about a .25mm interferance fit. So out with the trusty file, and after a bit of gentle relieveing, we were set to go.

Lyle (duke22) turned up a bit after this and the extra help with tyre warmers, stands and push starts was very much appreciated.

I didn't qualify too well, but still managed a mid-pack grid spot so all was'nt lost.

I got baulked on the start line with a TZ350 in front of me that was desperatly slipping the clutch to get moving and a half a dozen bikes came by me before the first corner.
Once we funneled through the esses and made it onto the long back straight I pulled the trigger on the 1040 and passed 9 bikes before the hairpin :banana , like to old saying goes - too much power is usually just about enough.

The rest of the race was good, and I made up a few more places and finished 9th, not good, but not bad.

The second race was much the same but resulted in a 6th, and then a 10th in the final race.

All in all it was a great day, the threatening weather held off, I got real comfortable racing the bike again and nothing really went wrong.

I'll drop the forks out this week and check them out, if their ok, then the caliper must have taken a belt in the crash so I'll have a look at what can be done there.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Nice to hear an uneventful race report :) What will you do when there is nothing left to sort?

Also nice to hear about the power of the 1040..I hope to be running one next year.

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Happy days Kiwi! :banana

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Happy days Kiwi!
Yes indeed, and as I'm the only pre'89 senior (over 600cc) who has turned up at the first 2 rounds, I now lead the championship by 75 points :ha now that's a joke!!!!
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

No joke, consistency matters, if it's there, take it!

Sounds like a very fast bike in a straight line.....!!

Nice work all round, glad to see all that hard work really paying off.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

history will only remember who won the championship...Not how it was won :)