Wakefield Park successes

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
JasonL
Veteran Poster

Wakefield Park successes

Post by JasonL »

I'm hoping we'll hear from a couple of the guys who did well at the recent PCRA One-Hour weekend, I know Jaffa did a superb lap time there, in the low 7's and both he and Zoltan did well individually in the heats and One Hour with some tinware picked up if I'm not mistaken

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

How did you go at broadford on friday?

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Ah, not bad. Main aim was just to put in as many laps as I could at a good pace. Did 7 sessions, I'd say about 10 laps each one. Certainly felt more at home on the bike and figured out a couple of things about it. Didn't have a lot of side grip, combination of tyre and rear settings, so it would spin up a bit going up the turn 1 hill and coming out of bay 13. Usual cluster of modern 1000cc track bike types in the group to upset.

The bike did do one very strange and disconcerting thing a couple of times - I'd wind it on and suddenly there was nothing at all, I'd be headbutting the screen. It would then chime in after a sec or two. Dangerous if someone is right behind you. I put some WD in the ignition and on/off switch and it stopped but that may have been coincidental - I was thinking maybe an ignition break down due to the faulty CDI box it has.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Any smell of gas? I get a stuck float once a season, has more of a stutter before it clears its throat and fires you of into the weeds.

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

I was thinking the same thing. Carbs are a pain to get right. Float levels are very importent!! Get someone to set the carbs up correctly.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Hmmm...don't remember smelling gas at the time, but yes it could have been fuelling related...another job for the off-season list!

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

JasonL wrote:Hmmm...don't remember smelling gas at the time, but yes it could have been fuelling related...another job for the off-season list!
It might not be flooding, it could be low fuel hight. Thats what was wrong with mine.
If your gonna tackle it yourself, you need to know what your doing! They are very tough to get right.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

If the float sticks, usually you end up smelling gas when you slow down and sputter into the pits, and at idle it's obvious when you look down the carb throat. I'm glad I have an ace as the carb tuning issues of the FZR seem to be sorted. My sticky floats are usually a dirty fuel/high mileage issue.

Jaffa
New Poster

Post by Jaffa »

Saturday race 1, 3rd on the grid, I got a good start for a change and was third into turn 2.
I tried to keep up with Nigel Taylor and Brett Clarke so they kind of pulled me along and I had 4 laps in the 107s, my previous best was 108.5 so really happy to improve so much. Lapped a rider on lap 5 and finished 3rd.
Saturday race 2, 3rd on the grid but a poor start and dropped to about 6th. Had to battle my way through to finish 4th but still did a couple of 107 laps so was happy with that.
Sunday race 3, 4th on grid, terrible start but some good close racing with Robert Cole on his GSXR 1100, I had better corner speed but he kept passing me down the straight. He has about a 30kg weight advantage on me, I've gotta slim down but those beers taste so good.Finished 5th.
Sunday 1 Hour team event. Zoltan got a really good start on his FZ750 and was going very well getting down to the 110s. My turn came but the best I could manage was high 111. We eventually finished third in class.
Sunday race 4 5th on the grid, poor start but half the field didn't come out, probably tired after the 1 hour. Lap times not so fast but finished 3rd.
Finished 3rd in my class in the sprint races.
2 trophy's in one day, TERRIFFIC!

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Good on ya Stwart. Sounds like youve got WP sorted now. I only wish I could do that at the creek!
Either way a great weekend for ya, & Zol. I couldnt lay a glove on Rob at the creek, he's getting better all the time, & his bike isnt lacking in HP ..
Congrats on the 1 hour as well. :banana
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Congrats Stewart and Zoltan. A very successful weekend!

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Excuse my ignorance, but where was this race?

Jason, you really need to get that electrical gremlin sorted! Having it switch off like that could really hurt you if it occurred at the wrong place... at the wrong time. And we don't want that.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spook, yeah I know.....this bike likes trying to kill me.