Hampton Downs 5/12/10

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Hampton Downs 5/12/10

Post by kiwi60 »

Well, we've done it - Duke22 and I have had our first race day at the new Hampton Downs Circuit (haven't even done a track day previously), and I can see what everyone is raving about, man what a track!!!!

As usual, the alarm went off at 5.30am, and as the car was already packed, it was just a matter of loading the FZR on the trailer and heading over to collect Duke22 and his Duke.

45 minutes from Dukes place and we were pulling into the circuit about 8.00am.

We quickly found our friendly racer with a generator, as arranged earlier in the week, so we unloaded and set about sign on and scrutineering - no problems there.

At the riders briefing we were told there was an opportunity for newbies to go out for 3 laps and figure out which way the track went, which resulted in a mad scramble to get the gear on and start cold bikes (push start for me), and boy am I glad we got the laps in - this place is quite technical compared to some of the others we've been riding.

It really is a handling track (as opposed to Pukekohe which rewards excessive horsepower), and following practice I had qualified 15th out of about 30ish, which I was pretty happy with.

On the FZR, apart from getting off the start line, the track is all 2nd, 3rd and about 100 meters in 4th,so no real opportunity to get the ol' girl wound up, but as you'll see on the YouTube links, it certainly is possible...
The first race went well with a 12th place (which was the best for the day), and 15th and 16th for the other two races.

However the finish of race 1 was made quite exciting by one of the race leaders blowing his engine (conrod trough the cases) right on the finish line so instead of the chequred flag, we got the oil flag - just what you want to see coming over the brow of the hill at over 230kmh braking hard for the downhill corner, but at least everyone stayed on, although I am lead to believe at least one rider may have had to rinse out their leathers before the next race.

Once again, I was the only bike in my class and took maximum points for the day!!!!!!!!, plus I managed to take 3 or 4 seconds off my qualifying time.

After a 45 minute break to allow for mopping up the oil, Duke22 was out on the ProTwins class putting in some good lap times and looking like he was having a ball.
Unfortunatley it looked like he picked up a bit of the blown engine in his back tyre which showed up as a flatty when he went to go out for his second race - game over for the day for Duke22 :hissy
Still, it was a brilliant day, and I was absolutley knackered at the end of it - and not that much better today.

Here's a couple of YouTube links to the circuit, the first on of the 675 Triumph is about the lap times I was doing - 1.25ish, the second one shows what speed a serious rider hits around there (the REALLY fast guys are topping 300khp on the straight :banana ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeiaWfNru-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Gp8L3a ... re=related

This is now my training track for Eastern Creek :cool

Duke and I are back out again at Pukekohe this Sunday for a Advanced Rider Training Day, which always results in plenty of track time. :)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

That looks like a Mega circuit Kiwi... What fun :)

How many tracks you got over there in total? Certainly spoilt with that one. looks like there is opportunity for some high speed tears down the main chute, if there was any contact on the bend there...

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

How many tracks you got over there in total?
We've got 4 tracks within 5 hours of us in Auckland: Pukekohe (1hr), Hampton Downs (1:15hr), Taupo (3 hrs) and Manfield (5hrs), plus two Street Circuits: Paeroa and Wanganui, and that's just the North Island, down south there's Ruapuna and Teratonga plus several Street Curcuits as well.
There's also several go-cart tracks where they run bucket racing, which I must have a go at some day.

Hampton Downs will be extended some time over the next two years to bring it up to international regulations, and then they are going to try to get WSB to put it on the roster to follow the Philip Island round.

Your never far away from a race in NZ if you really want it :banana
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spoiled for choice! NZ has always had a great race scene, and I don't understand why oz has a distinct lack of street circuits (not to mention race circuits)

That championship is looking good Kiwi! And it is a joy to see you getting more and more track time with this bike. Never mind you guys coming this way next year, we might have to all get over there, do a track day crawl!!

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote:Never mind you guys coming this way next year, we might have to all get over there, do a track day crawl!!
Hmmm, Now there's an idea. Container to NZ and back.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Good results and nice looking track.
Hmmm, Now there's an idea. Container to NZ and back.
There is already some talk of a Queensland contingent going over this time next year....early days though :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook

Post by spook »

Keep us informed! There is someone I know who is in shipping... Jason?

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

There is already some talk of a Queensland contingent going over this time next year....early days though
Hmm, this is sounding interesting...

I was at the Christmas NZ Post Classic piss up on Friday night and Eastern Creek is confirmed :banana and it would be a pleasure to see you guys over this side as well :)

Can you let me know who is organising the NZ excursion and I'll get our lot this side to hook up with them.

2005 SV996R SOLD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

WOOHOOO, just checked my email and the first of the Barry Sheene forms were there :banana

Look out Aussie - here we come :hi

2005 SV996R SOLD

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

who is organising the NZ excursion
Early days for us kiwi. We just got next year's club calendar, then there is the barry sheene, then a couple of us got a bit itchy watching the Phillp Island 6 hour, then there is the BEARs series.....so much to choose from. The NZ idea has been kicking around for a couple of months and I am sure there will be more talk amongst the crew over Christmas.

Silly thing is I am not even sure when I can race again and if I do then will I still be willing to push it a bit. Watch this space I guess :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook

Post by spook »

You'll be right Mike, just give it time :)

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

PCRA 2011 calendar has a potential NZ race meet indicated (no date at this stage) so they are planning on something too....

I'm looking 50/50 for the Barry Sheene at this stage, my brother and his wife have just confirmed they are coming over from Canada arriving end of March, plus my son's birthday is the 31st, the race is 1-3 April, better start some negotiations now!!

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

And Spook, happy to help out in shipping a container there and back !