Start Rollers - Kiwi's been busy again

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Start Rollers - Kiwi's been busy again

Post by kiwi60 »

Since fitting the 1040 EXUP motor I've been having on-going drama's getting the dam thing started due to the electric starter and mechanism being removed during the motor build, mainly because it removed a significant ammount of reciprocating mass and allowed to motor to spin up quicker without having to lighten the crank.

Over the last year I have been using Duke22's 2hp single phase start rollers which weigh a ton, and tend to stall when I let the clutch out.

A few weeks ago I tried a set of rollers at a race meeting built with a 12V car starter - nope stalled these as well, and poor old Duke was reduced to a sweating mass helping me push start the bike - and even then we needed several goes on a slope to get any success.

Well, a few months ago I picked up a 24V Mitsubishi truck starter brand new off TradeMe (the NZ version of Ebay) for $75 and started figuring out an economical way to build my own set of start rollers.

During the last week of work in December I took advantage of the quiet week to drop into the local conveyor component supplier (Richmond Wheel & Castors) and picked up a 1500mm length of conveyor side, some spacers to hold the frame apart, and two 290mm width steel rollers.
Then it was over to the local bearing shop for 5 sprockets, some 1/2" industrial chain, a few assorted bearings etc, plus some other lengths so steel.

I had a gear made for the starter to mesh onto a month or so ago, so it was time to get building.

The Mark 1 version consisted of two roller on the same plane, a 24V 10 amp relay and a foot switch which only activated if you held it down.

I struck a few design challenges with this version:

1. The wheel was touching the starter motor solinoid and not the rear roller.
2. The two 12V batteries wired in series were not activating the relay properly - only a faint click. In my wisdom I by-passed the relay and wired the switch directly to the start motor and pressed the button and yep it worked, however 10 seconds later the 10 amp switch cried enough and the terminals welded themselves together - bugger.

So, for the Mark 2 version I got another length of conveyor side and added a second level, hunted down a automotive 24V 30 amp relay and got the auto electrician to do me a wiring diagram, and with the addition of some heavy gauge wire, new connectors and a new switch - SUCCESS.

The rollers spin the motor over easily in 4th gear and the ol' girl fired up immediatley :banana

I still have to make covers out of perforated steel for the motor, chains and gears, and give it a lick of paint after tidying it up a bit more, but I'm well chuffed with the result. The other thing I'll do is get some non-slip conveyor roller covering and bond it to the rollers as the wheel is skidding in lower gears, and will be absolutley useless if it's wet.

Last edited by kiwi60 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Oh yeah - the cost: under $500 NZ :banana
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Well Done Mate!!!

Have you thought about maybe getting/using some grip tape and wrap that around the rollors for better traction?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Have you thought about maybe getting/using some grip tape and wrap that around the rollors for better traction?
If you referring to the almost sandpaper like tape that's used on stairs, then yes I did consider it - right up until I thought about the wheel not turning for some reason and having a groove worn across the tyre.

However, if grip tape is another product - please point me in the right direction.

2005 SV996R SOLD

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

that's the stuff, same as what's on a skateboard deck, I was about to recommend the same.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Maybe a straight peice of rubber hose with a ID the same as the OD of the roller and gluing it around?

Just tossing out ideas...
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

How about grinding some grooves in the rollers to give it some bite. Works well dry or wet.
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

How about grinding some grooves in the rollers to give it some bite. Works well dry or wet.
I've been thinking about knurling the rollers, but from what I've seen on other sets of rollers even that wears smooth after a while.

I'll drop in on some of the converyor companies tomorrow and have a look at what options they can offer; as the rollers they use in mine applications etc are in an extremey harsh enviroment, so there must be something around that will stand up to this sort of punishment.

2005 SV996R SOLD

McFizzer
Veteran Poster

Post by McFizzer »

Kiwi that's sweet!!
-Anthony-
::1992 FZR 1000::
Under construction at the moment.