hartwell rd2 at mac park

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

hartwell rd2 at mac park

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

hi all

this wont be as good a report as jason l's but here goes.

i had a top and very unexpected weekend with temps ranging from about 20(sunday)-28(saturday) degrees for the two days.met the period 6 boys(fantastic and very helpfull bunch of blokes) i passed scrutineering for period 6 with my 1990 fzr1000.(was a bit nervous).warm up went well with nothing falling of off my new home made fibreglass fairings.i managed to qualify in p2 with a 1.20.187.the first race a kwaka 1100 led the way followed by myself and then a trumpy 675.the second race was a bit different as i got passed by the 675.the 3rd and 4th race were the same.so that left me with 4 point race wins for period 6 with chris rostron in second and craig beswick in third.i managed to get a new pb with a time in the 1.19's,im still not fast enough to go into the 18's (bugger).bike felt sweet for the whole day with no problems.in the trophy race which was the last race(no series points race)i decided to have a shot from the back of the grid.got a good start and was in 5th by turn one,i tucked in behind the other fzr 1000 for a while till the straight where at the end ofthe straight i went for a out breaking menouver,on the outside(dont know why i went that way),this proved to be the wrong side(i am learning slowly)as i went past craig on the fzr1000 chris on his gpz900 braked very hard,to stop running him over i went to the inside nearly collecting craigs front wheel i found out after the race,anyway i finished third overall and 1st in p6.i am two pionts clear in the championchip heading into the 3rd at phillip island at the start of june. i have never raced at the island so this will be a great expierience.all the other guys have had a lap or two around there and if its wet im told tassie will kick my butt. i had a camera on the back of my bike and will be atempting to put it on youtube soon.....

sorry it was a bit long.....ps sorry again craig was a bit silly..see all you p6 guys at the island.............sorry for any spelling mistakes
1990 RACING FZR1040 & BROKEN 2001 YZF R1

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

The longer the better :)

Congrats on your results, sounds like a good weekend. Have fun at the island. :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Well done, racing is all about learning from mistakes and putting yourself in a better position next time round.

I do like mac park, in particular that 1st corner. I was using a red car as a breaking marker there during a Hartwell meet many years ago. They had set up camp, so the car was in the same spot all weekend, almost. It seems they must have gone out for lunch on sunday and parked it about 10 mts closer to the corner than previous. You can imaging my suprise on the first flying lap when i went waaaay deep on the brakes. i made it around, just, but it showed me i could go deeper into the corner and still make it round, and never use a moverable breaking marker.....

Best of luck at the island, a great track, a bit in your face at the begining, but build up the speed and you'l be fine

Stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

thanks mike and stan for the support

stan is that the old turn one or the new one,old turn one is now the end of the back main straight.at the moment i go by feel as when to start breaking,i have not used markers as such yet but will have to learn this soon.
yes i do agree that the phillip island track is a bit daunting to start with.i did a track day there about 3 or 4 years ago so it wont be totaly new but it will be different on a race bike with slicks instead of a road bike with street tyres on it.also the race is at the start of june so it will be in the middle of winter and probably wet.any other info like gearing and times would be a big help.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Steve well done! And the report is fine, don't worry, we're all keen for any racing reports here. 19's that's pretty damn good there, the fast 600's are doing, what, 15's??

I have taken my FZR round the island a couple of times, gearing I ran 17 front and a 46 or 47 rear.

There are a couple of places at the island where braking markers are pretty useful.....!

I'm probably going to do Interclub Rnd 1 on Sat 2d April which is at PI, you could enter to give you some practice before Hartwell??

I'm doing Broadford this weekend, Vic Titles.

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

Spelling mistakes I can live with, but the lack of paragraphs and interpunction...... ;)

Nice report.

(We're talking about this track?)
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I was their in the mid 90's, infact it was Hartwell Rd 1 1993, so my turn 1 is now your turn 8.

looks like they have done a lot of work to Mac Park, just shows the racing is alive and well even during these dogy financial time

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

i will atempt to get better typing next time thomvis,hope the babbleing race report was not too stressfull for you.lol ;) ;) was never very good at grammer....

thanks jason,i wont be able to do the meet at pi or vic titles at broadford,the next one for me will be easter cup at mac park(you would think i was getting bored with the same old track).
would love to do all the races but the misus just brought a 1971 vw beetle.i let her indulge a little and she said i could do the whole hartwell series.just have to do the track day on the friday before.being in june will probably be my first race in the rain at some stage during the 3 days.got any helpfull tips for wet races .

yeh stan the track has changed heaps,you would have been pitted in the middle of the track.those were the days m8.i used to ride my rz250 to the track from portland and take pictures all day then ride home again trying not to take any roos out,was a bit silly
back then,a group of mates on different types of chook chasers used to go back to portland from mount gambier in the dark and play chicken by turning our lights of and not turning them back on again till we felt someone touch us while riding at rediculous speeds,ahhh those were the days.

they are planning a track extention soon to make the track long enough to race the big boys and there superbikes on.the track is proposed to come off just after turn 9 then down into the quarry area then back up an across the track towards the back straight before turning in a hairpin and back down towards the water tower corner to rejoin the track.cant remember how much longer the track will be but it will be enough for the superbikes to race on.they may also be widening the track as well.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Steve,

Don't be too sure about the rain at PI in June, you might be pleasantly surprised. However! if its wet, my tips?? Cautious confidence, smoothness, soften suspension a little not tyre pressures.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

JasonL wrote: soften suspension a little not tyre pressures.
second that.