MOTO GP 2011

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I know a lot of people like WSBK for its crash and bang racing, but last nights Moto GP race was, for me, a great battle between 2 guys riding the best bikes in the world, 10/10ths for 28 laps.

Moto GP is finally starting to heat up, blokes at each other during press confrencess, Stoner and Rossi with handbags at 10 paces, and we are only at Rd 3.............Roll on LeMans

Stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Even though Rossi was only 5th, his total race time was about 6 secs quicker than the winning time from last year in similar conditions, which shows how much the Honda and Yamaha have improved. Also makes it a big ask for the Ducati to make the ground up, will take them half the year at least.

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Ducati must be in a difficult position, devloping the 1000cc bike while getting heat from Rossi and Co to come up with new parts for the 800. No wonder they pulled the pin on a factory WSBK team. RPM have Mr Burgess on next week, should be interesting

stan

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

And I guess we have to face the prospect that Rossi may never win another championship. Then again, Doohan didn't win his first title until he was 29, his last at 34. And Rossi is carrying far less inhibiting injuries so far.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I would not count Rossi out at all, although, I'm not sure of the current status of motogp, but if he's is got something to prove, LOOK Out!
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Anyone else noticed that the Moto2 liveries are looking more like other manufacturers? Yamaha, Kwaka... Aprillia...

Is it likely in the future that honda's one engine rule is going else where? Or am I just seeing things?

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I sure would love that to bits!!!!
Michael

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

While the whole Moto 2 thing makes for good racing, it's actually leaving me a bit cold. Do you open it up to any engine manafacture to have a crack at building a suitable 600cc?? Given that a recent test of a 2012 CRT 1000cc bike was some 6sec of the factory teams, it may be best left to the big manafactures

Even the Moto 2 riders are complaining they ride bikes that have very little adjustment, with the move to Moto GP is a big step where everything is adjustable,

Stan

spook

Post by spook »

stan wrote:Do you open it up to any engine manafacture to have a crack at building a suitable 600cc??
I think the oem engine rule is acceptable, however allow any oem 600cc engine to be used. No replacement internals but lightening and blue-printing of components acceptable. Fuelling as you please. Any form of engine management.

This would invite the other manufacturers into the fold, but still allow the privateer teams to play

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

If I was paying the bills at Ducati, I would be having a long talk with Rossi, either beat all the other Ducati riders no more excuses & start performing or your gone! The guy is making a fool of himself & Ducati. He was going to be their Mr fix it. Casey wasnt riding the bike correctly & him & Jerry would fix it. Well were waiting...
If we could just get Horebag Larenzo to move to Ducati we would have the comedy double of the decade!
The show would be called, "lets make fools of ourselfs while comming home 7th & 8th" :poke
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i haven't seen one moto2 race since the series started. i see the benefits in a "spec" series, but i just don't think it makes much sense to limit one item of a bike to one manufacturer and allow free reign with the rest. either make everything the same (chassis, motor, tires) or nothing at all.

i feel the same way about the spec tire rule that the other series run. i just don't like it.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

Hooligan wrote:i haven't seen one moto2 race since the series started. i see the benefits in a "spec" series, but i just don't think it makes much sense to limit one item of a bike to one manufacturer and allow free reign with the rest. either make everything the same (chassis, motor, tires) or nothing at all.

i feel the same way about the spec tire rule that the other series run. i just don't like it.
I couldn't agree with you more Jason! While we're at it, MotoGP needs to dump the traction control / electronics. I remember when "Racing" was "Racing" with the 500's.

All analog: just a GP Chassis, Big Power and the rider controlling everything.

Maxium power, minimal bullshit!

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Julian wrote:All analog: just a GP Chassis, Big Power and the rider controlling everything.

Maxium power, minimal bullshit!
I totally agree.

The whole idea of racing is to test your skill against someone elses, NOT how well one manfucturer can program a computer opposed to another.

I must admit Litre machines have improved lots with the help of MotoGP but then, I'd rather not have all the traction control crap on my own machine anyways. I suppose I'd think differently if I only knew how to ride like a dink and my machine's electronics saved me daily but......
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

stan wrote:Given that a recent test of a 2012 CRT 1000cc bike was some 6sec of the factory teams, it may be best left to the big manafactures
I don't think 6 seconds is a realistic indicator of production engine v prototype. Lap records at Phillip Island GP circuit indicate less than a second difference between World super bikes and GP machines.

Hayden 1.31.826 RCV212V
Corser 1.32.920 Yamaha R1

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

That CRT bike was using an Aprillia RSV motor....6 seconds off...leave it on the truck and go to the pub...

As for the technology thing, i love it,
Moto GP is the best riders in the world, riding the best bikes on the planet
WSBK, great racing, but Biaggi as current champion, and Cecha leading the points.........

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

OK, I've left it a day so people can watch the coverage, but now I have to say: Stoner was absolutely dominant yesterday leading from flag to flag and has become a worthy world champion - again :cheers
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

I went along yesterday. I have to say, MotoGP is pretty processional, far too few bikes on the grid - lose a few as we did in the race and there's not much on show. Moto2 was the best race - in no small part because its a full grid. Nonetheless! its great to see them in the flesh in action, and yes Stoner was sublime, but I was left feeling a bit empty - I don't think we'll miss the 800's much.

spook

Post by spook »

Well done by Casey. I think the world is finally beginning to understand how good a rider he really is.

Here he is World Champion again... with the field languishing behind. He rides out to a lead and then manages it. He out rides every one on the Honda by a decent margin in the way he did on Ducati.

Valentino Rossi is broken, trying to come to terms with the bike that Casey so gracefully won race after race on including an earlier world championship.

He is the best, and hopefully full recognition of his amazing talent finally without question is assigned.

spook

Post by spook »

spook wrote:Hayden 1.31.826 RCV212V... Corser 1.32.920 Yamaha R1
That's now been improved on with:
Stoner C Lap Record: 1'29.975

Pretty amazing :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

On October 23rd 2011, during the second lap of the Malaysian Moto GP, Simoncelli had his helmet knocked off in an accident, which occurred when the Italian lowsided from his bike at Turn 11. His bike veered across the track and straight into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. The race was immediately red-flagged. He was pronounced dead a short time later

Simoncelli, who was motionless on the track after the impact, had been fourth at the end of lap one.
RIP Marco :sad
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o