WHO'S GOING TO BE THERE?

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Mine was bought by the owner in the 12-89 new off the floor so its legal.
If you want to try your luck, go ahead, but after spending several years on the board of the NZPCRA, I'd advise you to apply for an exemption from Jason first, or risk being told to park it. All it takes is one protest from anyone racing in our series and you won't have a leg to stand on without a prior ok - and believe me, with the #1 plate at stake in the championship, someone would do it.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

kiwi60 wrote:
Mine was bought by the owner in the 12-89 new off the floor so its legal.
If you want to try your luck, go ahead, but after spending several years on the board of the NZPCRA, I'd advise you to apply for an exemption from Jason first, or risk being told to park it. All it takes is one protest from anyone racing in our series and you won't have a leg to stand on without a prior ok - and believe me, with the #1 plate at stake in the championship, someone would do it.
But us Aussies are comming over for fun racing, like you guys did with the barry sheene. We wont stand in your championship will we??
I thought it was already agreed partnership thing. we invite & pay for you guys to come over & you would do the same for us??
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Quite correct, but if the Aussie rules change to max of 1000cc (plus 5%) in the period 6 F1 class for next year, as was talked about around the pits at the BSFOS, then we wouldn't bring the 1260 GSXR's over as we'd expect to be told to park them.

Still, if you don't want to cover your bases before you travel, that's your call :)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

The FZR's finally arrived back in NZ this week so I'll pick it up on Saturday and get stuck in preparing it for next season.

My new rider is a qualified auto electrician so his job will be to strip the road wiring out and make a race wiring loom like one of the schematics posted on here over the years.

It's 5 months until the season starts, but experience has taught me to start early cause I'll aways be trying to sort things out the night before the first race if I don't. :oops:

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:Quite correct, but if the Aussie rules change to max of 1000cc (plus 5%) in the period 6 F1 class for next year, as was talked about around the pits at the BSFOS, then we wouldn't bring the 1260 GSXR's over as we'd expect to be told to park them.

Still, if you don't want to cover your bases before you travel, that's your call :)
There should be a class for them (GSXR 1100), but at 5% and not in with the other (1000cc and 750cc) classes. These bikes are just a hangover of he old rules... the fatter your wallet the fatter the engine.

The change that is taking place is for the better :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

There should be a class for them (GSXR 1100), but at 5% and not in with the other (1000cc and 750cc) classes. These bikes are just a hangover of he old rules... the fatter your wallet the fatter the engine.
Not sure I agree with you there spook, the GSXR's are starting to have their butts kicked left right and centre by the EXUP's over here (and no I'm not talking about my one man championship), as more racers are realizing just how good they are.
The other thing is that the big cc GSXR's are starting to prove a little fragile over the length of a season in some circumstances, while the FZR's have been significantly more reliable :)

2005 SV996R SOLD

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

It's more a rule book problem here. The new national P6 rules were based on the 1989 rules which ran to 1000 only. Some clubs like PCRA are allowing 1100's at club level since PCRA for example used to run a P6 unlimited class (which is where I'd run my VFR against FZR1000's and the odd GSXR11) I'm only aware of 4 GSXR1100's in the whole of Oz so its not a huge impact. However, in the interests of inclusiveness and interesting racing, I'd prefer to see them included. I didn't agree with the 1000 limit.

spook

Post by spook »

The up to 1300cc rule is a hangover of days of old. A P5 mentality if anything.

In my opinion classic racing should resemble what occurred (rules wise) in the era. 90 onwards was the beginning of the superbikes and the 750-1000cc machine.

P6 will take a while to settle down, but I think we are on the right track as far as how it has been executed.

Include the 11's in the race for sure... but in a separate class. Lets face it they, the (GSXr11's or the 7-11's) were just a greedy build that the rules (if you can call them that) at the time allowed. Their day in the sun is over :)

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Ouch!

But run in a separate class? What? Then it really would be a GSXR cup!

Engine-wise they were pretty good, they just didn't handle the best. Murray Clark raced one in 2009 and did pretty well, 1.43's at EC I think and the motor was fairly stock.

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote: Then it really would be a GSXR cup!
That is what it pretty much was in the day anyway. I don't think +5% 1000cc machines should be running around in the same class as 1300cc monsters.

So that's settled then :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

I don't think +5% 1000cc machines should be running around in the same class as 1300cc monsters.

So that's settled then
I don't think so spook :)

Over this side of the ditch we allow what was done in the period, and here in NZ we had the specials (big bore GSXR's, 7/11's etc) so they're eligable, to exclude them would only fragment the class, and give us FZR riders less bikes to beat.

When we have a pre'95 class in a few years time, even the Britten's would be eligable to run in the class, and we certainly wouldn't create a new rule to exclude them due to their massive technilogical advantages, we'd look at it as a chance to figure out a way to beat them (if that's possible) on what the average man had at their disposal in the day - perhaps an ex-works Ducati or something... and there's a few of them over here as well :banana

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

Britten was 1000cc... just looks big :)

Can't wait to see the flood of exotics onto the track again.

not saying exclude the 7-11's, just let them work it out in their own class, or apply the 5% rule and that excludes most of them anyway, certainly less competitive at the correct capacity.
Last edited by spook on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spook - so you'd also agree that bored out 750's (say 840 for example) shouldn't run in the 750's should it??

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote:Spook - so you'd also agree that bored out 750's (say 840 for example) shouldn't run in the 750's should it??
I agree. If you have one taken out to that size run it it the 1000cc class.

750+5% allows for one oversize. The FZ750 I was taking out to 960cc is going back to 750 size. back to it's superbike origins.

You were forced to bastardise the bikes just to be competitive against the 1300cc monsters, as all 750cc-1300cc bikes were lumped into one class.

I'm just glad we now have some sensible regulations, that encourage owners to preserve them in a specification that is historically relevant.

Wont be long before the support race for the WSBbikes here at PI will be P6 750cc as that is what started it all in 1988.

I've been waiting years for this to be all firmed up. It's a good thing :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

It's a good thing
I guess it is for the Aussie PCRA, but we'll have to agree to differ. :)

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:[I guess it is for the Aussie PCRA, but we'll have to agree to differ. :)
Pcra is a state body. NSW. The P6 class is now part of Historic racing as per the CGR's and is as such now a national historic class. There is still some way to go with getting everyone (states and individual organisations) to accept the regs.

I think the Trans-Tasman rule of "if it is okay in the home country it is okay here" works, so no problem?

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:When we have a pre'95 class in a few years time, even the Britten's would be eligable to run in the class, and we certainly wouldn't create a new rule to exclude them due to their massive technilogical advantages.
You know... the Bitten was never homologated, so as such it is not a production race bike. It ran in bears, but was never eligible for production racing. I don't think you will see many turn up to race in the future, so probably not such a problem ;)

The whole historic racing thing seems to be quite emotional... hence the nick name 'hysteric racing'... or as I prefer to call it 'period racing' :poke

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

You know... the Bitten was never homologated, so as such it is not a production race bike. It ran in bears, but was never eligible for production racing. I don't think you will see many turn up to race in the future, so probably not such a problem
We don't limit the period racing to production racing bikes, if it was period - it's welcome to run.

Kevin Gray has the only one still being run on the track and it gets taken all over the world, and turns up at the likes of the Wanganui Street Races for some exceptionally fast demo laps, plus the NZCRR International Classic Meeting nearly every year.
The last time I saw it at this meeting it was out on the track at the same time as the factory Norton Rotary - what a sight & sound to see those bikes really being used as there ment to be used.

Believe me, if Kevin puts an entry form in over here when there's a class that suits, it will be accepted. It's a shame that all the other Brittens are show bikes only now, they still look and sound awesome!!!

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:It's a shame that all the other Brittens are show bikes only now, they still look and sound awesome!!!
Some things have a greater intrinsic value than the object itself. The Britten is as important to the New Zealand identity as the Kiwi bird itself. That is why you can't afford to completely destroy either. :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Some things have a greater intrinsic value than the object itself. The Britten is as important to the New Zealand identity as the Kiwi bird itself. That is why you can't afford to completely destroy either.
I think you've just descibed all Post Classic / Classic racing classes and machines

Definatley worth keeping them all around. :)

2005 SV996R SOLD