WHO'S GOING TO BE THERE?

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Grow up
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

stan wrote:I thought this was a forum of support and encouragement for like minded people, leave the knives in the draw, there not welcome.......

stan
sbutler wrote:
stan wrote:I thought this was a forum of support and encouragement for like minded people, leave the knives in the draw, there not welcome.......

stan
What happend Martin? Who's been digging someone in the ribs?

stan wrote:Grow up

Ummmm...... did I miss something here? I'm hoping that Stan thought he was on a different forum.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Well, I was there and I had a ball, even though it didn't quite go to plan...

Everything arrived safe and sound and we got un-packed on Thursday, and arrived bright and early on Friday for a days practice.

By the last session I was feeling that I was starting to figure out my way around what can only be described as the best bike track I've ever had the pleasure of riding on.
By Saturday morning, one of my knees had totally packed up ( I think kneeling down at 150kph last year may have had something to do with it) resulting in me limping like an 80 year old man.
It would appear that I'm using a lot more effort than I used to to get the bike round these days and the truth of the matter is that the bike has a bit more 'motor' in it than I can really handle, and no - you don't tend to back it off as there's always someone to chase.

It turned out that one of our faster riders had lunched a cam in his brand new GSXR1100 race motor, and after a bit of discussion, I suggested that he should ride the FZR as I wasn't going to be able to do a particullary good job of it myself.
So, Pete headed out on the bike for the first time and put it on the grid in 25th place with a best lap of 1.57, yes it's slow, but remember he's NEVER riden an FZR before, and only rode the track for the first time the previous day.
When he came in from qualifying, he couldn't stop talking about how he couldn't upset the handling of the bike, and in the place where his GSXR was tying itself in knots, the FZR just laughed at him and asked for more!!!

All weekend he kept improving his lap times, finally getting down to the 1.47's and still never getting anywhere near the bikes limits even though I told him if the front wheel's not in the air - then he's not getting off the line quick enough and to change gear when it bounces off the rev limiter ( he never did either).

I had an absolute ball watching someone ride the bike in anger and have made the decision to hang up my helmet (only when it comes to racing) as I've achieved everything I wanted to locally.

Pete's decided that he has too much money invested in his own race bikes so I'll be aproaching a local top rider with a view to him riding the bike fro now on (apart from the occasional track day for me...), and also coming back to the BSFOS next year with the aim of moving up the finishing order significantly with the new rider.
We'll also have a go at getting the number 1 plate in NZ cause the bikes always been up to the challenge, and if I can talk the rider into taking it on, I reckon we have a good chance of upsetting a few of the local hot shots :)

And here he is - kiwi stig (aka Pete)

kiwi stig sussing out the opposition

kiwi stig and duke22

I'm still trying to find the results on line, and I'll post them when I do :)
Last edited by kiwi60 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

hi kiwi

sorry to hear you are hangin the helmet up m8,here is the site for the bsfos results

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/resul ... 4/2011.RRT
1990 RACING FZR1040 & BROKEN 2001 YZF R1

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Brilliant, thanks Stuart, good to meet you and Steve over the weekend too, it looks like everyone had a good time.

We eventually got the race number sorted and then we were into it.

PERIOD 6 (NEW ERA) F1

1 85 NIGEL TAYLOR (NSW) MOTOTECH AUST YAMAHA 1000 25 25 25 25 100
2 16 JOHN RICKARD (VIC) YAMAHA 1000 22 22 22 22 88
3 34 MICHAEL ONRUST (NSW) YAMAHA 1000 20 20 20 18 78
4 94 MICK JOHNSTON (NSW) NORTH COAST V TWINS BIMOTA 900 18 18 18 20 74
5 15 PETE SMITH (NZ) YAMAHA 1000 15 16 15 15 61
6 139 DOUG FAIRBROTHER (NZ) DUCATI 851 14 15 14 14 57
7 26 KEITH HIGGS (NSW) HARLEY 1260 16 0 16 16 48
8 4 PETE SMITH (NZ) SUZUKI 1100 0 0 0 0 0
9 27 JOHN MANWARRING (NSW) THE BIKESMITH KAWASAKI 1000 0 0 0 0 0

We got to know Nigel Taylor over the weekend as well, top bloke and what a bike - Mick Doohans ex-factory Malbough FZR1000 Superbike!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and the Kiwi's won the Trans-Tasman challenge by ONE POINT!!!

You guys better head over this side for a bit of settling the score. ;)
Last edited by kiwi60 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Opps, I sold Pete a bit short:

Qualifying:

23 15 PETE SMITH (NZ) YAMAHA 1000 1 NFI 4 4 1:53.0240 0:11.1630

And talked him up a bit as well:

Best Lap:

20 15 PETE SMITH (NZ) YAMAHA 1000 1 NFI 4 7:36.0100 4 1:49.5560

2005 SV996R SOLD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Hmm - double post :oops:

2005 SV996R SOLD

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Sorry to hear about the knee, and it sort of explains why we couldn't find you on the results sheet over the weekend. We were a bit worried when you didn't even come up as a DNS, but glad you had a chance to ride around Eastern Creek, and live the life of an International rider for a while

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

but glad you had a chance to ride around Eastern Creek, and live the life of an International rider for a while
Yep - that's my 15 minutes of fame over and done with :)

2005 SV996R SOLD

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

I was also wondering why you didn't appear on the time sheets but did notice some Pete Smith guy going alright :)

Glad you got a chance to ride the Creek and still hope to maybe catch up in NZ at the end of the year.

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Great pic of you & I waiting on the dummy grid. Im bike 20 with the yellow wheels!!
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

If you ever feel like taking some time to visit Canada while your winter season slows down, I could use a team owner to help me move from back/mid-pack to solid mid pack racing! ;)
Too bad to hear about hanging up the helmet, going out on your own terms is always better than pushng yourself into an injury.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Great pic of you & I waiting on the dummy grid. Im bike 20 with the yellow wheels!!
I thought it might have been ;) , but that's Pete on the bike, I was the ol' lame bugger behind the camera.
If you ever feel like taking some time to visit Canada while your winter season slows down, I could use a team owner to help me move from back/mid-pack to solid mid pack racing! Wink
Too bad to hear about hanging up the helmet, going out on your own terms is always better than pushng yourself into an injury.
Tempting offer BJ, but I suspect one rider will keep the hands in the till more than enough at the moment.
I'll still get out on the odd practice day on the FZR (all in the name of testing, of course), plus there's always the SV1000S in the garage for those weekend back road rides, but I have a few 'projects' that are going to take up a lot of my time over the next year or so and another racing injury would be a disaster, and if I didn't kill myself - the wife would finish the job :roll:

2005 SV996R SOLD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Glad you got a chance to ride the Creek and still hope to maybe catch up in NZ at the end of the year.
Sounds like a good plan to me, with a bit of luck I'll have the new rider well and truly up to speed, he runs rings around me now on a hot CB900 Bol'dor so I don't think he'll have any trouble adapting to the FZR.

2005 SV996R SOLD

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Looks like everyone had a good outing, sad I missed it! But congratulations on some great results... GO TEAM EXUP (and non-exup fzrs too!) and ex-exup GSXRs as well :P
Last edited by hotcam on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

sad I missed it!
There's always next year cam ;)

2005 SV996R SOLD

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

hotcam wrote:Looks like everyone had a good outing, sad I missed it! But congratulations on some great results... GO TEAM EXUP (and non-exup fzrs too!) :P
What about a non exup GSXR?? Im still an EXUP'r at heart, & maybe some day get another. :sad
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

. GO TEAM EXUP (and non-exup fzrs too!) and ex-exup GSXRs as well :P
Fixed :)
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Great results all round, I'm annoyed I had to miss it but there's always next year....or later this year in NZ??

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Come over to UN ZUD with as J, the Mrs & I are gonna use it as a little holiday with some racing thrown in. You should do the same...
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.