IOM TT road course

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

IOM TT road course

Post by djalbin »

I'm always impressed with the IOM TT road course.

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/the ... race-30021
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

That is just incredible man.

I'd love to ride the course but certainly NOT even close to the insane speeds that those guys were travelling. They are going so fast, the film almost appears as if it's sped up. Those crashes over the cliffs are reason enough for me to never want to race that course at those speeds.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Michael wrote:crashes over the cliffs are reason enough for me to never want to race that course at those speeds
It didn't look too safe for the spectators and sheep either.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

It takes real men, on real bikes, with really big balls to race there - I don't qualify :)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

kiwi60 wrote:It takes real men, on real bikes, with really big balls to race there - I don't qualify :)
Me neither, but I love to do a lap there when I grow up.

I have the video of David Jefferies onboard lap here I watch from time to time. I found only the 2nd part on youtube, so I've uploaded the first part which I find more impressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djWQDK1_pvQ
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I'm not sure if takes real men, or balls,

I'd reckon it's a little more fearless stupidity, the kind of thing I did once possess up until falling off of roof with three spinal fusions later.

As we age we also get attached to the other real people, usually our wives and children, that I'd say make us much better people and tame that fearless stupidty so we don't make fatherless children and widows at the same time.

Least that's my :2cents
Michael

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

it takes a whole lotta of everything that i don't possess enough of.

awesome vid.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Hooli wrote:it takes a whole lotta of everything that i don't possess enough of.
I don't know Hooli,

I reckon we all posses the ability to ride that blazingly fast. What I was trying to say is that as we grow older and the list of resposibilities and humans we become attached too, so too grows our fears of abondonding our little ones, widowing our wives and blah, blah, blah, which of course keeps our speeds and sillyness maneuvers to a dull roar.
Michael

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

I reckon we all posses the ability to ride that blazingly fast. What I was trying to say is that as we grow older and the list of resposibilities and humans we become attached too, so too grows our fears of abondonding our little ones, widowing our wives and blah, blah, blah, which of course keeps our speeds and sillyness maneuvers to a dull roar.
I don't know if I agree with that Michael, there are some that just have the God given ability to ride at levels that are simply astounding and not obtainable to us mere mortals. About 10 years (or more) ago, I had the opportunity of following John Surtees around Pukekohe Raceway on a practice day here in Auckland, but unfortunatley he buggered off into the distance on a Manx Norton - his corner speed was astounding!!!! and I was on a GPZ1100 race bike... :cry:
Other examples the aussies and kiwi's are well aware of are Rob Phillis, Mal Campbell and Graeme Crosby - these guys are grandfather age and still FAST.

I would imaging if Kenny Roberts threw a leg over a GP bike, he could still turn some respecible times, maybe not fast enough to win, but fast enough to be noticed :)

You've either got it or you haven't - and compared to them I haven't :roll: , but I love watching those who have, no matter what their age.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I don't know Graeme,

I would definitely agree with you on the fact that different people are born with different, "nerve" levels per say. I think then the "nerve" thing combined with the growing environment of different children are what makes each person unique. Those racers who went way faster than you probably started at a much younger age. Maybe they were more priviledged.

Guess I would also agree to say that some do have natural ability and some don't but still what might shape that is the actual "nerve" thing. So guess what I'm saying is that if we had the same level of encouragement and opportunity as kids growing up, where could we be; or have been?
Michael