Barry Sheene Festival of Speed (BSFOS)

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Barry Sheene Festival of Speed (BSFOS)

Post by spook »

Who's going, what class are you riding in, what's cooking, what can be expected? new track or old? What could possibly go wrong?

I'm just about to pay my entry for the P6 750 and 1000 classes, as well as club reg, senior national licence... adds up! Do you think anyone would protest a FZ750 with an Ow01 engine fitted? i know the P6 guys are a fairly easy going lot. :crazy: I need to get onto photo shop so I can get my log book applications in. I'm running out of time, but I'm going rain hail or shine.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Re: Barry Sheene Festival of Speed (BSFOS)

Post by JasonL »

Well if they don't know, don't tell! I'm lodging a rule change submission as 16.5.5.5 is not clear enough in this respect.

Watch your one pc tank if you use it, by my interpretation it is not as per 16.5.5.5 b). However you will likely get it logbooked like that and scrutineers may not pick it up, and even if they did it would be an instruction to rectify by next appearance only I would guess.

It sure does add up, my kids are starving!

I'm trying to get the 250 running in time, and will run the VFR in 750 and 1000. The 1000 grid will be mayhem, its pre modern aswell and they are all loonies.

I predict some rain this year.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

its pre modern aswell and they are all loonies.
loonies? maybe some of them :) I will be there on my FZR1000 engined YZF in pre modern as will Brad on his Fireblade and maybe a guest rider on my 750. :)

Money transfered today and entry sealed in envelope ready for mailing tonight.

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote:16.5.5.5 is not clear enough in this respect. Watch your one pc tank if you use it, by my interpretation it is not as per 16.5.5.5 b)
I was just about to transfer some money, and I read your 16.5.5.5b

It's general appearance and dimensions are un-changed, as per b. Silhouette remains unchanged. It can be proven that it was done in the period. I'm allowed to change capacity and filler. It is within the rule. if there is any chance I'm going to be protested out I guess I will wait for another race meeting, at another time.

It's 16-5-5-5-a that will catch a lot of people out (any one who has replaced their rear subframe with a light weight fabricated unit) It doesn't matter how you argue that one Jason, rear of seat support means rear of the riders seat. It doesn't say rear of riders seat attachments. :)

Broadford in the good old days:

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Love the pic!

But 16.5.5.5 b) is lead by "The following items must remain standard to the original specification" and prior to that it states "make and model that was generally available to the general public during the period as supplied by the original factory of manufacture for normal road use"

I don't disagree that the tank and seat unit is period and should be eligible but the way they wrote these rules, to my interpretation its not. I'm a bit surprised with some of the stuff that ended up in the P6 regs but they will only be as good as the submissions they receive to change them from now on, and if they take heed. I seriously doubt anyone is going to protest it, there is no real advantage and its period, and as you say, silhouette.

rear of seat support - I will argue this one!!!!! I have had discussions with an MA commission member on this and they agreed with its intention being to mean rear of frame ie: to the point where a detachable sub-frame mounts to and not including the sub-frame (hence why it only refers to frame, not sub-frame) so my thought is why is it not clear? I lodged a submission last year to have it clarified and it was totally misinterpreted, hence the discussions with the commission member. I'll be trying again this year! Rule change submissions have to be in by March 1st to MA or your SCB. I agree it appears to mean rear of seat support - but where is that point exactly? Seems straightforward enough but.....

spook

Post by spook »

On a fz750 for instance the frame is the seat support. The seat support, whether it is detachable or not is part of the frame, not a separate component. It is what is written in the end that matters, and for now the frame from the steering head to the rear of the seat support must to the original specification.

Seat supports by definition hold up the seat and the riders backside. So at the back of the seat I'm afraid Jason, unless you have a note from Mum.

I hear punching on is the way to deal with protesters.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Ah well there's the rub - by interpretation an integral subframe could be included, a detachable one not. Hence an inconsistency that needs to be addressed.

But I'm having trouble forging mum's handwriting.

spook

Post by spook »

This is just a typical example of wishful thinking. You and your mates (by your interpretation) have convinced yourself that a major component (frame) if detachable, isn't bound by rule 16.5.5.5.a. or i guess a major component at all

The VFR and the FZR parts books show and refer to the seat support as part of the frame assembly. Let's not refer to them incorrectly any more either. Seat support is the correct terminology, let's use it

On the other hand, tanks are minor components, and as a result and can be modified or updated, provided that they remain visually comparable with the period being depicted. 16.4.0.12. How can they remain standard, and to the original specification, if they can be reduced or enlarged?

So thanks for informing me that I only will have to rectify it by my next appearance!
JasonL wrote:Watch your one pc tank if you use it, by my interpretation it is not as per 16.5.5.5 b). However you will likely get it logbooked like that and scrutineers may not pick it up, and even if they did it would be an instruction to rectify by next appearance only I would guess.
If my era correct FZR1000 bike is protested out, I'll be taking the decision to the fair claims tribunal for a final decision and then arbitration as to the amount of compensation I recieve for the cost of entry and transport and accommodation at the event, and pain and suffering. That's after I've taken the cheque book out and spent my free time protesting the rest of the field to the side lines as well. I can run the FZ in both classes though can't I, so just need 130 rwhp out of the 750 :thumbup:

Never thought my enthusiasm and excitement would have been crushed so early on in the piece.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Jesus!! I might drop round on the weekend then.....

spook

Post by spook »

You can see a pattern forming? FZ750 frame:

spook

Post by spook »

Did I mention major component? Always amazed at how corrupted thinking gets. Did you win the P6 750 class Island Classic on an ineligible well painted bike Jason?

Rear seat support off a later model, I would think. Jason if you want to stick it up others' make sure you are clean yourself :wave:

spook

Post by spook »

I'm not going to the BSFOS. I like to hang out with relaxed people on ride-days, not rule reading, dick wanking, citation and clause citing Fucking Wankers.

if you wish to mix with these wankers (of which I suspect I was becoming)... (only happens after you are bitten), good luck to you :roflmao
Last edited by spook on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

WTF !!

I'm not trying to stick it up anyone. VFR is eligible and extremely well painted. Rear support or whatever we want to call it is VFR.

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote: Rear support or whatever we want to call it is VFR.
You need to do the right thing and hand the cup back...

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

So now we're fighting amongst ourselves because of clause/subclause/subsubclause/paragraph/ line...?

Come on chaps, this is supposed to be fun. :thumbup:

At least when I go to the Island I can't be protested out, 'cos I'm eligible under NZ rules and we pretty much work on the basis of if it looks good its eligible. And Jason's VFR does look good. Perhaps we could make him an honorary Kiwi? Just for the racing of course...

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

I like Invercargill - horizontal drizzle - reminds me of Scotland. I don't know what Spook is on today but he should stop taking it. Anyway, calling a man a wanker is no great insult it's just stating the obvious!

I'm a bit inclined not to bother going to the Barry Sheene myself now.

spook

Post by spook »

duke22 wrote:Come on chaps, this is supposed to be fun. :thumbup:
This is the problem, it obviously is not. Just visiting Jason pit box at the Island Classic (where he won P6 on 'that bike') There where no happy faces there, no happy people. All I could see was people (mainly looked like males) with their penises out... Boundary... Boundary... poke that chest out... power point territorial sort of stuff going on.

I'm out.

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

I guess it is what you make it. I was having fun at the Island, broken motors, oil leaks, crap times and all.

Anyway, I'm not going to the BSFOS either now, in the spirit of the Bro'hood. So there. Mind you I never was going anyway, so no great loss to anyone.

Jason, seriously, are your rules really that bad? I know you Aussies are a litigious lot, but this all sounds like its getting a bit out of hand.

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote:I don't know what Spook is on today but he should stop taking it.
Truth serum...

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

:popcorn
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad