Barry Sheene Festival of Speed (BSFOS)

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Re: Barry Sheene Festival of Speed (BSFOS)

Post by spook »

Pop corn indeed.

Jason I would have never had even a second thought regarding eligibility of your bike, if you hadn't informed me about mine.
JasonL wrote:Watch your one pc tank if you use it, by my interpretation it is not as per 16.5.5.5 b). However you will likely get it logbooked like that and scrutineers may not pick it up, and even if they did it would be an instruction to rectify by next appearance only I would guess.
Set your self up as an a authority, and you set your self up for a fall in this country.

It's not just the seat support frame that was from a different model on your bike, it was also the tank. (1990 VFR750FL/M/N/P (RC36)

So in conclusion the public must know that the VFR750, that you won the P6 750 class at the island classic under the 2012 mom's was fitted with a later year tank and rear seat support. As we know they are in no way interchangeable, or of the same era, or pattern.

Ironic isn't it?

Tend to your own garden prior to poking about in mine Jason. Make sure you have it sorted before the BSFOS... And don't forget to give the cup to the rightful winner of the Island classic P6 750 class.

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Reading through this thread again Spook I think Jason was simply pointing out something the scrutineers might pick up on so you could arrive forewarned. I don't think he was calling you a cheating cad who should be protested off the grid. Though I may have misread it :)

Trackdays are all very well but they don't have the buzz of a race meeting. Ignore the politics, enter the BSFOS and enjoy it. It beats sitting at home wishing you had. Just my humble opinion...

Righto, off to work. Got to start paying for Phillip Island 2013.

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Interpretation is always the hardest part with rulebooks, what some call frame others call seat support, and others call sub-frame. To me the wording needs re-working to say something like "that part of the frame, detachable or permament, to which the riders seat may attach or be otherwise supported". Calling it part of the frame simply because it is on the same fiche, in our case would cause a conflict in our rules as we are required to remove the horn, (shown on the frame fiche, and by that logic part of the frame) but are not allowed to alter the frame. Our racing, is all club racing, no one gets paid to do it, and the $5 trophy at the end of the year certainly isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over. This may be a case of agree to disagree and move on. "Can't we all just get along?" ;)

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Granted I'm on the othe side of the big pond, but I'm a reasonably happy camper.....
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

spook

Post by spook »

I appreciate everyone’s sentiment and opinions. Trust me, the post was started to express excitement at the prospect of attending a mega historic race meet, which would have been the first for me in a while. However it quickly degenerated into debate about rules, and the eligibility of my bike. (1 post in)

What I don’t enjoy about the racing scene is the constant bickering about rules, and eligibility, and how serious everyone gets. Duke was a stand out exception at the island Classic cruising around, eating an apple and contemplating life.

P6 is historic racing, and if I can’t race a bike set how it was raced back in 89 then what’s the point? I’m certainly not going to change it, nor spend a couple of thousand dollars taking it interstate with the risk of sitting on the sidelines. I’ll race it locally at some time if I feel like it, and if I’m allowed.

I don’t see the frame rule to be a huge problem, though in the era it was common to fit a race sub-frame, and historic racing should in my opinion mirror history. The problem with the current P6 rules is that they are trying to dumb down the class, and make it something it never was historically, which in a sense is out of character with the rest of the historic rules.

Jason knows me as well as anyone, and if he is surprised at my reaction, well I would be surprised. If he wants to publicly set a seed about the eligibility of my bike, (and remember it is only Jason’s opinion) well it would be wise to make sure your own bike is within the rules… and unfortunately Jason’s isn’t. There is always beer here in the fridge, and Jason is welcome to come and drink it at any time, I’m sure he knows that. :wave:

This post has not served the purpose that I intended, and I would be all for deleting it in its entirety. Some one who is attending can perhaps start a fresh one on a more positive note.

I’m all for banning any discussion, or any mention of/or about rules in relation to other peoples machinery, save anything that you wish to say for pm’s or a phone call. Talk or seek opinion about your own bikes eligibility by all means, but leave other peoples efforts alone in public. Cheers :)

SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

well this is a bit of a change from the normal peacefull brotherhood chat.
i too was a bit taken back by the protest and acusations flying around at the island classic.it was my first big meet and it was a bit hard to believe period 6 riders who had all been (or seemed to be)good blokes on line before the meet could turn and become evil in such a short space of time.to put it simply (or said by a young rider)its not really the bike its more the rider you have to beat.
so this sub frame argument puts a halt to the aluminium subframe i was planning on manufacturing for the old heavey fzr.sorry guys but for me too the bsfos wont be on my race calender this year,hope i will get there next year..have fun all that turn up.
1990 RACING FZR1040 & BROKEN 2001 YZF R1

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

It is a shame to hear some people are pulling out of the weekend. I am still going in pre modern. 8-)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

spook

Post by spook »

Mike_SS wrote:It is a shame to hear some people are pulling out of the weekend. I am still going in pre modern. 8-)
I would have loved to catch up again Mike! I'm really glad to hear you're back on the bike having some fun :P Look after yourself mate :thumbup: