New Rear Sets for our FZR's

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: New Rear Sets for our FZR's

Post by Big Jon »

Never owned any 750, just got my two Aces, one track one street, Dave's sold last fall. It's a 750 front race glass and swingarm, but that shouldn't have fooled you! :lol:

WannabeRacer

Post by WannabeRacer »

So Graham - where did your thinking get to on the rearsets - yep, I'm looking for rear sets too. I managed to get the bike built in time to do a test day and four meetings at the end of last year but then baby arrived and the bike has taken a bit of a back seat.
So limited to working on it again. Feet never did feel right - need to be higher for comfort and to get my soles clear of the ground.
Also I never did hear back from the guys at Falicon - tried three or four times via email and no luck, so still looking for an upgrate to the standard clutch basket. I have to say I treated it very gently (at least that's my explanation for p*ss poor starts...).
Also on the list is wheels - like Dukes R6 option but need to source some off shore and I'm a bit of an ebay novice so am a bit wary. Got any advice on a good source is for affordable rims?
Ops...a bit off track on the rear sets...

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Gidday wannabe,

Everythings a bit on hold at the moment as I'm putting all my time into getting a new business venrure off the ground, so the next six months will be fairly focused on that.
Having said that, I've got my name on another FZR750 and have a spare EXUP motor under the bench, which will be built into a hotrod 1070 so Lindsay can take it to the GSXR's next season.
Once things are sorted out a bit more I'll get three sets of rear sets (one of each bike and a spare set for when the inevitable get off happens).

The best bet is to phone Sean at Falicon (that's what I did), he's a nice enough bloke and may be let down a bit by others at Falicon not picking up on emails.
Failing that, you could use a YZF750 clutch basket (rivited onto your gear) which has the banded fingers, Dukes been using one with no problems.

I bought two Kwaka ZXR750 rear wheels from TradeMe and adapted them to the FZR. You should be able to make any 17" x 5.5" rim work with some adaptor sleeves, so you don't have to limit yourself to Yamaha, any of the recent 600's rims should work ok.

Who knows, if I get a kamakazi urge, I might even get the bike out for a practice day at Pukekohe just to remind myself how much power it's got and how much I'm out of practice ;)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

I would strongly recommend the extra bucks for folding pegs. I learned my lesson the hard way at the post kembla TT in 96, when the bike fitted with solid pegs hit me while i was hitting the airfence, blowing it up. lucky to be still walking. they had to shine a torch in and you could stick a pencil in a good inch and not touch the sides. Thanks vanessa for packing it with gauze twice a day for 8 weeks.

WannabeRacer

Post by WannabeRacer »

Nasty! That said, my dad had a similar injury in his leg from folding pegs - I guess they only fold one way and if the angles right it acts as if it didn't fold at all.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Marco Melandri knows all about peg injuries too, I think it was Rossi who managed to stick his footpeg through Melandri's foot a few years ago.

Personally I prefer non-folding pegs as I find they allow more leverage moving around the bike with out the risk of them folding up, this has happend a few times to me and it takes your mind off getting the bike braked and turned, so solid pegs it is for me ;)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o