#2 Race bike

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

#2 Race bike

Post by kiwi60 »

My wife and I had dinner with my race bike rider and wife on Saturday evening and during the course of the evening we got talking about a recent trip they took down country.

While they were down south they caught up with an old friend who has a OW01 with a hot EXUP motor fitted, and he was invited to race it at the Teratonga track.

Despite not racing there for over 20 years, and this being the first time on this bike, he was getting comfortable thirds while not pushing the bike too hard as he didn't want to bend it.

The bike is making 170RWHP, and it turns out that one of the tuners down there has 'cracked the code' with the 5 valve heads.

After a lot of testing, they found that the center inlet was doing most of the work and there was a lot of scope for improvement if they could get equal flow through the outter valves - well - they've done it.

The new motor about to go in this OW01 is conservitivley rated at 200hp with a 1070 capacity and mild cams.

I'll be getting the spare cylinder head sent down and ported to these spec's over the next few months as I want to do some back to back tests with the set up I have now, which is mild but still making respectable hp.

With the new motor I'll be going for a Falicon supercrank, rods, clutch basket, 1070, cam spec's still to be determined but we have a top cam grinder not too far from here that really know his stuff so we should be able to settle on something, plus FCR carbs.

As I've lined up a complete road worthy FZR750 to put this motor into (thanks Duke), I'll be able to work on the whole package, so I'll also be taking as much weight as I can out of it by any means possible (titanium bolts & axles, carbon fibre body work, ali replacong steel, light weight wheels etc etc).

This could be a long term project before it gets to the track, but I want to aim for 185 - 190hp and 160kg :D

Am I dreaming - possibly, but if you don't have a dream, then you'll never make any progress toward your goals.

Watch this space (possibly for a long time) :popcorn

Plus it's now been confirmed, we will be at the P.I. Classic meeting and the Barry Sheen Festival of Speed at Eastern Creek next year.

Our invitation has clearly stated in the past that if it's legal under the NZ rules, then we can run our bikes in Aussie, and vise versafor the Aussies here, so I don't see a problem, and if one crops up regarding the 1070, then I'll have a lightning fast 1040 spare engine with me just in case.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Re: #2 Race bike

Post by spook »

:popcorn

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

gotta have a dream... :popcorn

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

:popcorn

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

awesome! can't wait to see the details...200hp would be incredible.

I wonder if any of the tuners here in the states knew about this valve secret. can a mild port job be performed and still be reliable?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Hey Graham,

You know your engine specs are nearly identical to my own, If I get mine done before you, which I doubt, I'll let you know how the FI goes instead of the FCR's; really that's the only difference I read.

Looking forward to seeing this one for sure.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

TG1992FZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by TG1992FZR1000 »

Just what is this secret modification that equals the flow across the three inlet valves?? Sooo curious. :popcorn
Current bikes:1992 FZR1000, 1983 Aspencade. Past Bikes: 1984 FJ600, 1986 FZ750, 1990 FZR1000, 1999 R1, 1987 Banshee
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/tg ... 20FZR1000/

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Just what is this secret modification that equals the flow across the three inlet valves?? Sooo curious.
Me too, but there keeping them close to their chest at the moment so I've got to wait patiently as well.

Unfortunatley I seem to have been hit with my own GFC so development has taken a back seat for a while :cursing
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

tabond
Veteran Poster

Post by tabond »

Ever find out the secret? There's quite a bit of casting mid way between the intake port opening and the actual valve than can be removed to straighten things up, but the increased volume reduces velocity etc.. Possibly some fill work on the upper corners of the outer two runners to compensate?
VRRA Competition Coordinator
BRS Racing #61

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Ever find out the secret?

Nope, they decided to keep it to themselves as this racing class has been the fastest growing and most competitive.

2005 SV996R SOLD

jackfrank
New Poster

Post by jackfrank »

:welcome :popcorn

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

I think it's got something to also do with bumping the size of the valve. Much speculation over whether it's better to bump the middle one or just the outside two. Of course flow has more to do with porting, but, I suppose it also has something to do with the door and the end of the hallway too though.
Last edited by sickle44 on Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

I just made a large post here, but it was lost because I took too long. Oh well

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

before you hit submit or move off of the page, copy and paste is your friend if you're writing a huge long post Ralph. Sometimes, if you press back space on your browser it might still be in the page as well if your browser cached what you were writing. I'd like to see your post as your engine knowledge surpasses my own.
Michael