Aust Period 6 FZ 1000 buildup

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Re: Aust Period 6 FZ 1000 buildup

Post by ZoltanP »

hi guys,if you get this you are subscribed i guess, thanks for the interest.
been flat chat for last few months, finally got the bike going at 7am on the morning of the aust champs! Can't rush these things after all!

build blog is
http://www.retroracing.com.au/post/Team ... trail=15#6

raceblog is
http://www.retroracing.com.au/post/Team ... trail=15#1

cheers
zol

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

flat chat for sure,

I wonder why the board seems to be thinning out so much of late? Seems many folk abandoning their FZR's, very sad to see.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

Some pics n story of this buildup, even though it was abandoned as I couldn't find a period zf750 which had an fzr1000 motor in it... if anyone knows of one, please let me know..

well, this after winning the NSW PCRA F750 P6 series last year,
I wanted to give it a go on a 1000 in F1. as i already had a couple of spare FZ750 frames,
one being a roller with a donk, I started asking people and searching the web to see if anyone in the period put a 1000 donk into the 750 frames.
I was told YES, so off I went buying an early genesis donk: a low K import from Japan, resold to me by Spook.

Now before I go any further I will say that even though I have a logbook for this bike,
now it’s apart, I may be putting the donk into an FZR frame so there are
no eligibility questions come Oz Championships time.
This combo may end up racing with a 750 motor again then..
So before you wanna build a combo like this, phone me and chat about why
it might not be the best combo and I’ll tell you...

Since starting this late last year, I have built a doublegarage sized workshop,
and set up lots of stuff, and had run out of enthusiasm until recently,
and now I’m back at it again.
Here is progress to date:
frame was stripped, sandblasted, then i painted it with enamel. donk god a good
degrease, then cleaned with solvent, airblower dryed before also being painted with engine enamel.

All threads were cleaned out with a tap to renew them, swingarm bearings were pulled apart, checked, cleaned and regreased. New steering head bearings were fitted, wheel bearings were checked and regreased.

Spook was kind enough to machine out an alternator housing, pictured below.

I fitted a new high temp oil Oring there. Yamaha wanted almost $30 -- only a couple of bucks from my local bearing shop, who also supplied me so far with new orings for the water tubes, as well as the carb internal strainer / floatpin tube Orings. These cost me a bankbrekaing 4 cents each, so of course i got 20 of them.
The carbs were pulled apart, blown out and cleaned also.
As the old radiator was pretty ugle from being crashed a few times by previous owners, i got a similar one from WhichBike wreckers at Cardiff Newcastle. I don’t see the need to run the water tube behind the headers so they can get hotter, so I am rerouting the waterpump line straight to the radiator. I got some heat protection from work and some industrial coolant hoe with T-bolt clamps. On the list of things to do also are new oil cooler lines. I will cut the original hoses off the banjo fittings and silver solder JIC=AN seat type fittings, so i can just make braided teflon lines at work. These are like brake lines, but the teflon will live forever and cope with heat much better too. Let me know if you need such work..it’s something we do at Pirtek Newcastle.
The carbs got some special attention with manifold clamp bolts, fuelbowl drain & mounting bolts all being painted white to aid quick ID for racetime removal. As I have not finalised the airbox options and exhaust, I took a stab on jetting, moving from standard 112 to 135. We’ll see.
I still need to paint a couple of engine brackets, find all the right bolts, mount foot and handcontrols back on; make a race-only wiring loom, similar to the 750s; do the bodywork, clean the tank, etc. I plan on removing the 12v fuel pump in favour of a vacuum operated pump.

I also bought a fzr750 shock which was taken off when new and stored. I plan to replace the remote canister with one that has compression damping, re-oil and regas it.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

ZoltanP wrote:Some pics n story of this buildup, even though it was abandoned as I couldn't find a period zf750 which had an fzr1000 motor in it... if anyone knows of one, please let me know
I think it is ridiculous you can't run a 1000 in a old steel FZ750 frame. It surely would have been done by someone somewhere. Would it have had to have been done in 1987, is that what the rules say? The fact that they are an interchangeable part made in the same years would have to enough? Re stamp the engine number to FZ serial and tell them it's a 911 (flitwick) F-them!

Anyway, you see why I haven't gone racing.

Enjoying the build, thanks for posting it up, do you want to swap the 1000 motor for a 750? Cheers.

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

thinking #1: orig 750cc + 5% max capacity increase = 787cc. doable...
#2: period FZs had .. what ... 860 kits maybe? did they race a 911 IN THE PERIOD? if yes, also doable..

no, mod didn't need to be done IN 87, just IN the period, so anything up to dec 1990. even if i could prove a roadbike or dragbike combo ...

yes, the though did cross my mind. i had a look at the barrels, they are identical in height and finning to the 750, i presume it may be the exup motor which is different in the barrel height? so anyway, thjis one is visually identical to the 750 one, so no drama there.
engine ran smooth as a baby mate, seen the video yet? i need to rev it more, i thought it would pull harder in the middle like my cb1100 used to, but it's got heaps of top end, so i will adjust my riding to suit the bike more. i gotta change it a bit to make it dip into corners easier and stay there... time n money...

i already have a logbook for the 750-1000 combo :)

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

My late uncle fred had a FZ750 with a 1000 engine fitted back in 89... ;) The 1000 cc barrels are different, (4 fins...750 has 3) but they where used to make a 911 engine... (1000cc top end onto the 750) there is documented evidence of that mod having been done in that time.

ZoltanP
Veteran Poster

Post by ZoltanP »

god you're a funny bloke. i'll give you a call.