Some pics n story of this buildup, even though it was abandoned as I couldn't find a period zf750 which had an fzr1000 motor in it... if anyone knows of one, please let me know..
well, this after winning the NSW PCRA F750 P6 series last year,
I wanted to give it a go on a 1000 in F1. as i already had a couple of spare FZ750 frames,
one being a roller with a donk, I started asking people and searching the web to see if anyone in the period put a 1000 donk into the 750 frames.
I was told YES, so off I went buying an early genesis donk: a low K import from Japan, resold to me by Spook.
Now before I go any further I will say that even though I have a logbook for this bike,
now it’s apart, I may be putting the donk into an FZR frame so there are
no eligibility questions come Oz Championships time.
This combo may end up racing with a 750 motor again then..
So before you wanna build a combo like this, phone me and chat about why
it might not be the best combo and I’ll tell you...
Since starting this late last year, I have built a doublegarage sized workshop,
and set up lots of stuff, and had run out of enthusiasm until recently,
and now I’m back at it again.
Here is progress to date:
frame was stripped, sandblasted, then i painted it with enamel. donk god a good
degrease, then cleaned with solvent, airblower dryed before also being painted with engine enamel.
All threads were cleaned out with a tap to renew them, swingarm bearings were pulled apart, checked, cleaned and regreased. New steering head bearings were fitted, wheel bearings were checked and regreased.
Spook was kind enough to machine out an alternator housing, pictured below.
I fitted a new high temp oil Oring there. Yamaha wanted almost $30 -- only a couple of bucks from my local bearing shop, who also supplied me so far with new orings for the water tubes, as well as the carb internal strainer / floatpin tube Orings. These cost me a bankbrekaing 4 cents each, so of course i got 20 of them.
The carbs were pulled apart, blown out and cleaned also.
As the old radiator was pretty ugle from being crashed a few times by previous owners, i got a similar one from WhichBike wreckers at Cardiff Newcastle. I don’t see the need to run the water tube behind the headers so they can get hotter, so I am rerouting the waterpump line straight to the radiator. I got some heat protection from work and some industrial coolant hoe with T-bolt clamps. On the list of things to do also are new oil cooler lines. I will cut the original hoses off the banjo fittings and silver solder JIC=AN seat type fittings, so i can just make braided teflon lines at work. These are like brake lines, but the teflon will live forever and cope with heat much better too. Let me know if you need such work..it’s something we do at Pirtek Newcastle.
The carbs got some special attention with manifold clamp bolts, fuelbowl drain & mounting bolts all being painted white to aid quick ID for racetime removal. As I have not finalised the airbox options and exhaust, I took a stab on jetting, moving from standard 112 to 135. We’ll see.
I still need to paint a couple of engine brackets, find all the right bolts, mount foot and handcontrols back on; make a race-only wiring loom, similar to the 750s; do the bodywork, clean the tank, etc. I plan on removing the 12v fuel pump in favour of a vacuum operated pump.
I also bought a fzr750 shock which was taken off when new and stored. I plan to replace the remote canister with one that has compression damping, re-oil and regas it.