WSBK: Where have all the American's gone??

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

WSBK: Where have all the American's gone??

Post by stan »

Spent the day at Phillip Island watching SBK Qualifying and Superpole, man Troy Bayllis rocks.
New outright lap record (unofficial as it was set in Quali, not in a race) with 8 stiches in his elbow from a morning crash!!!

But we got to talking about some of our all time fav SBK races at the island, and most of them featured American riders, Doug Polan, Freddy Merks even Scotty Russel, and lets not forget the battles between Bayliss and Edwards

But today, i didn't spot one American in the field, do you think it is because the AMA superbikes are so good, your best riders no longer need to leave home to find tough compertition??

Tomorrows racing should be a cracker

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

OW-01
Veteran Poster

Post by OW-01 »

Was wondering the same thing. It's all politics, I expect after the trips to the U.S. this year that Americans will get back in the saddle. Most race teams are owned and sponsored by non-Americans, so, unless it benefits the sponsors or the manufacturers.........
Spies would have been a shoe in, but he wants to be king among the smaller pool, than fight with the best in the ocean. Plus, top AMA riders earn more here than in SBK.

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Spies is set for a moto GP future with suzuki if you beleive the rumor mill, but apart from him, who is the next big thing on the block?

Edwards is a veteran now in his mid 30"s, you have Puff Daddy and hopkins who have a while left at the top level, but without international exposure, your young guys will be out of the loop

The world supersport event at PI had Australians 1-2-3, with Corser and Bayliss 1-2 in the superbike. A youg talented Aussie is Russell Holland, currently in the WSBK, but we have no young guys trying to get in the 125 or 250cc GP field.

Hmmm Moto GP sarts up next weekend under lights in Quatar, time for a thread i think

stan

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

ama is boring.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

stan wrote:Troy Bayliss rocks
Enjoy watching him race this season. This is his last year - he is retiring.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

One of the race mags had an interview with King Kenny who was complaining the the lack of Junior classes in the US made it hard to build a talented pool of younger riders, and that the AMA was so dominated by the manufacturers that the AMA classes were really for selling bikes, not training racers.

I kind on agrees but then I do see some club series, especially Susucki, that look like they are trying.

If you are lamenting the lack of US racers in Superbike, we in turn see quite a few talented Aussies here.

Kontoboy

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by owdamer »

I read an article that said the top riders in AMA can earn far more money by staying put rather than coming over to compete in Europe.
I'd like to see some of your guys come over and do British Superbike and see how their results compare to Neil Hodgson & Chas Davies's efforts over there. Mind you, Finding out ama results is like learning brain surgery. The AMASuperbike website is terrible and Superbikeplanet is a bit brief.
1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.
Getting older by the day.

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

Hooligan wrote:ama is boring.
Yup
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

I look at the results of AMA races and each race goes down to the wire, and the championship is never decided to almost the final race of the year.

A few have said "AMA Boring"...........WHY?????

stan

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

I have tried to get into it. My problem is that too many of the tracks suck and the TV coverage sucks. The TV coverage could be just me. I know someone that won't watch MotoGP because he doesn't like the guy that is always saying "he is absolutely flying" (even if the guy is in 7th). Too many of the tracks are the same cone infested big oval infields, and never seem to have a nice flow to them. It just doesn't make me want to tune in. I must admit I have not tried to watch if for the last 2 years. Much like stick and ball sports I am more than happy to check out the highlights. The AMA has given up the reigns to some NASCAR promoters, so maybe there are good things in the future.

On a slightly different note I have the same feelings toward the U.S. Supercross. Boring. Motocross is still cool, at least the Lites because there is usually a fight for the lead. The best Motocross I have seen in years is the Canadian series. No domination and they show the whole field not the top 5.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

pacer's feelings echo many of my own towards the ama.

the tv coverage, the lack of good tracks (there are a few, mind you), the dizzying array of classes and constant rule changes, all makes it a bit much.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100