Race Report Hartwell Rnd 3

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
JasonL
Veteran Poster

Race Report Hartwell Rnd 3

Post by JasonL »

Racing the VFR in P6 and Pre Modern at Broadford. Sat morning warm up it was wet I went round on slicks very gingerly to record the slowest time of all the historic bikes, no mean feat considering in the dry we lap some of them. Pre modern qualifying was dry-ish but some damp patches still around, qualified 8th out of 30 which was ok and even better I was on the outside of the 2nd row and many in front were 400's so I had a good chance of outdragging a few to the line. Got a good start, then we were red-flagged, the pole sitter on an R6 has come off. Bit of a break while they scraped him up and off we went again, back and forth with a 400, they got the better of me in the end, but I crossed the line in 4th, best Pre modern result yet and best lap at Broadford, a 1.04.8

P6 qualifying was almost dry and qualified on pole. Got jumped off the start by John Rickard on his FZR1000 and a P5 Kawa Z1000, plus a Z650 which is a 740 or the like and pretty quick too, sees the VFR off in a straight line, just. Myself, the FZR and Z1000 were together for a lap or two then the FZR started pulling away and I was caught behind the Z1000 - he had lunched 3rd gear so was very slow in some sections and I'd go around the outside in a couple of turns and then get passed on the straight again, held up again, pass again, get passed on the straight again...I nearly ran into him a couple of times and by the time I got past, John was in clear air so I settled for 2nd.

Sunday. First race up was Pre-modern, again finished 4th. Because of the Z1000's gearbox probs he didn't run which means I'm now within striking distance of 3rd in that championship.

P6 race 2. This was much better, got round the Z1000 earlier on and was able to stay with John on his FZR1000 for the rest, got round him here and there but horsepower rules and I was dragged off to the line, 2nd again but by 0.5 sec.

P6 race 3. There had been a downpour at lunchtime and we were 7 races after that, but it was still fairly damp by then so we all went out on wets. The fast bikes took off and I was more interested in just finishing, so was 2nd in class behind John and 4th outright, times in the wet were all close I was within a couple of 10ths of John but happy not to risk it.

That's the first time I have been beaten in P6 this year and I'm not happy. I've said it before but this time the EXUP is coming out for the last 2 rounds!!!

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

All in all a another solid outing Jason. Bring on the FZR :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Great report buddy. Now get the %$$##@$FZR going!
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Great result Jason. you have to be happy with a 1.04 :)

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spook, Broadford seems so hard to get a good lap out of, I still think I could get round there quicker on the 750, a couple of times I felt like I had gone so quick but the lap was slower! That's the way it goes.....it was good fun anyway, in the 2nd P6 race the three of us were close for a few laps, Chris Rostron's GpZ 900 had packed in so he went to the infield and got some good shots of our race, I'll try and put one up when he sends them over.

How's the OW01 coming along?? When do you think it'll have its first outing??

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

FZR versus VFR. Last corner of last lap. FZR wins!

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Great pic!
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Thats the way, take the long way around Jay.
Great shot, wish I was there with you..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

You could be Steve, PCRA Rnd 4 !!

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

JasonL wrote:You could be Steve, PCRA Rnd 4 !!
Very much doubt it mate. That one meeting will use up enough funds for two local meetings. I'll be pretty busy too.
I have the 4 hour in a couple of weeks. Then I'll be doing the st george/RJ round in Nov at the creek, then the 1 hour, & possably the 6 hour. So thats plenty for me, & my wallet.
Know what I mean?
You comming up for the 1 hour bash at the end of the year?
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Yes I do know what you mean, I've been suffering from a bit of racing burn-out lately having raced continually for 3 yrs now and with two young kids etc, its starting to feel like a chore to be tied to a race calendar and the money drain is getting boring.....I had planned to come up for the One Hour but I'm less inclined at the moment, would prefer to save it for the Barry Sheene next year. More likely to do the 6 hr at PI if they are having a pre modern class.

I'm waiting to see what the P6 regs look like and what that will mean for the VFR and the FZR, so I may end up just doing a few select historic meetings next year than a whole club series again. I'm looking forward to the off-season just to have a rest and and get some work to the bikes (to best fit whatever regs we end up with)

spook

Post by spook »

JasonL wrote:FZR versus VFR. Last corner of last lap. FZR wins!
Are you going around the outside, or is he coming up through the door you left open :poke

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

You know,

Some may label me a heretic, unsaved, gay, or some other form of derogatory language, but, I've gotta say; Got back a few hours ago from watching a buddy of mine race around his cheapo recently purchased $1000 1stGen RX-7 and it was a blast I'd dare to say. Yes I know this is about 4 wheeled racing which of-course is the reason for the disclaimer but just think of all the benefits, and yes I know all the cons and the comparisons in relation to two wheelers.

- cheap to acquire wheels ( of course there was a new GT-R and a couple Z06's too so of course it could be costly but you can run what yuh brung too)

- few bucks for tires, duct tape, sparkplugs and wires, again or a lot more of course

- Much lower chances of road rash, death, all that crap you know. Not to mention, a guy could race around in a speedo, shoes and a helmet on hot days like today instead of being slowly baked while wrapped in dead cow skin (yeah, I know leather ain't all bad but I had to make the other thing sound better, you know?)

Now get this, this was the real kicker, the racing was only $35 a head and they got to flog the shit our of their old ragged out RX-7 that didn't even blow up but ran fine, accept for a real loosy goosy suspension & crappy tires. Craig only spent $250 on some fix parts for the car, what are the odds you'd get away with just $250 to fix up a $1000 bike. Yeah, you couldn't even buy the necessary chainn'sprockets for a bike for $250 in Canada.

I want to get back to the track badly but Jason was saying, I've got two kids, them plus the wife, house, and everything else take up a whack of dough. $200 / track day opposed to $35/track day.

MMMMMMMMmmmmm doesn't take me very long to do that math. Now to find an old $1000 rear drive yoda corolla or somethin'
Anyone have an old rag top Ghia for sale on the cheap, I'll even travel down to the states?

No worries fellas, I'll never abandon my two wheelers but, I'm beginning to spend more time in my four wheelers and Yes, I am getting old/er.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Phwew that was a little windbaggish, sorry'bout that.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

sickle44 wrote: Now to find an old $1000 rear drive yoda corolla or somethin'
Ask Craig about the Dirt track by Devon, and take the ballast out of the back of your ole mini pick-me-up and giv'er!!
ps, if you'd come out as a volunteer track time is FREE!

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spook, do you even need to ask ?? :P

spook

Post by spook »

You where in a perfect position to use your favorite dust up maneuver! Why not last turn as well as first? lol.

spook

Post by spook »

Michael, have you tried karting? Something like a 100cc clubman. Safe, fast, cheap... and it helps with your riding big-time.

I sold my AX9 arrow, but will buy another just because it is so much fun at a next to nothing expense. All of motor sport is about finding the edge... the point just before traction is lost, and in a kart it is a very safe way to hone your perception of where that is... And did I mention it is fun :)

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Ah, good point!!

Except I know this guy and it wouldn't be very sporting.....

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Mike,

I got a 85 yoda Celica GTS, 2-dr, 5-sp, RWD, I'd love to get rid of. Currently my daily driver ( 'cept I been riding the bike every chance I get....)

send me a PM if interested.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad