I ought to buy a lotto ticket

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

I ought to buy a lotto ticket

Post by dragracer1951 »

I got to be the luckiest SOB onthe PLANET!!!
Went fro a ride around Hoods Canal the other night.
This is some pretty high speed sweepers.
I was on my R bike riding with a couple of like minded chaps.
We'd been chasing each other off of 140mph corners for about 50 miles. I let them get a bit on me so's I could work on reeling them back in...
Came down a half mile straight, doing about 150ish. The next corner is marked 40mph, Tap the front brake and back shift three. Gets a little loose backin it in, a little counter steer and it comes right back, get on the gas...
Into fourth at 13k, into 5th at 13.5k.
About 40ft ahead a deer steps into the road....as I'm gettin into 6th at about 13k.
Tap the brake.
Hard.
Counter steer to the left. Just a shake really...
Deer smacks the richt outstde headlightwith it's right hip. it's comming at me left to right. 45 deg towards me. cleans the right turn sig off the bike and smacks the front brake lever. I'm thinking just before impact, "Don't fixate"
I see the deer spin off my right knee and am amazed that the bike is still up. No wobble. None.
The lever smacked the snot out of my right pinky though. Slowed but the deer is GONE!!
Move along and catch my buds, I was dipping my lights to signal them and they pull over asking what happened to your headlights. I said I hit a deer. "How fast" I tell em bout a buck forty...Then it dawns on me they're asking about headlights and I get this vision of destroyed front plastics.
Get off. Everythings fine. Everything. Cept the turn sig, and the bent lever.
There was blood and deer poo on the bike though
And yes...It had that "deer in the headlight" look to it.
Good times
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

FOOKIN ELL!!! Jim.... glad your okay.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

haunter
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by haunter »

I would need new leathers after that!
88 FZR 1000 - SuperTrap, K&N, FP kit - sold
90 FZR 1000 - 1040, Ohlins, 91 USD's...some other stuff - sold

93 FZR 600 - rat/cafe/POS/Trackbike Project
03 SV1000S - bye bye
06 R6 50th Anniversary - slip on, PCIII, race rails

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

DOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poke :poke :poke
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

wslonger
Veteran Poster

Post by wslonger »

You sure that was deer poo :P

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

"How fast" I tell em bout a buck forty
You do realize the irony in that statement don't you, Jim?? :poke

Damn glad you managed to come out of that without being worse for the wear.....especially at those speeds.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

No Nate, I had not realized the irony. that's pretty funny.
Went on the same ride the next day bu tthe opposite dirrection. At much reduced speeds.
I was VERY fortunate indeed.
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

thunderaceDan
Veteran Poster

Post by thunderaceDan »

After something like that you should buy a lotto ticket. keep the rubber side down. :)
NOT NOW CHIEF IAM IN THE ZONE

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

I had something like that happen to me last year. I was heading home to meet my brother and got on the gas at the start of this strait where the speed-limit goes to 55.Well its a remote road so like I said I am full on the gas going about twice the speed-limit and I see a fox come running out of the woods on my right .I was sure I was going to hit him, I think I let off the gas and braced for impact never taking my eyes of the fox.He goes up on his front paws with his ass above his head and I go by 100 mph + and miss him by a c-hair. The fox saved both of us that night for sure!!! I was still shaking and drinking Jack strait from the bottle when my brother showed up at my house. After I told him the story he said " You dont see a lot of dead foxes by the side of the road !"

Glad to hear you were not hurt Jim, next time use a gun if you want to hunt a deer!!! :poke :poke :poke
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

If you are going straight you would be surprised at what you can hit. I have had everything from rabbits (they just bounce off) to a turkey at 90mph do nothing but take a blinker with him. I have a buddy who hit a woodchuck going over 100mph, and said it was just like a big bump in the road. A deer on the other hand is a bit large. I know a guy who hit a deer square at normal highway speeds and went down hard. I have to say your speed may have saved you.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Glad to hear your good. I saw what a deer can do to a suburban. It crushed the whole front end. I could only imagine what could have happen to you, By the way lotto is up to 144 million
:bfg

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

about two months before i moved away from the east coast i managed to hit a deer's left rear leg at about 40mph on the bonnie. riding one of my favorite bits of road, a twisty run of changing elevation with lots of sheer drops, a group of them hop from the side of the road that was straight down. stand the bike up, grab some brake to at least scrub some speed off, they make it past quick enough and i think i am in the clear. just as i think that, the last unseen straggler damn near jumps in my lap. no shit, had he waited 1 more second i would have had a passenger.

anyway, managed to hit him pretty hard and it gave the bars a hell of a wobble. as i get up the road to an intersection a witness in a truck behind me pulls up and says "man, i can't believe you didn't toss that thing down, i thought for sure we were all gonna hit them". i said, so did I, i think i'll go home and have a beer.

and that's that. jim, maybe we should form some kind of "deer brotherhood".
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Amen Brotha!!!!
Jim

Hey Kid...

haunter
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by haunter »

dragracer1951 wrote:Amen Brotha!!!!
rofl

brotherhood of the venison
88 FZR 1000 - SuperTrap, K&N, FP kit - sold
90 FZR 1000 - 1040, Ohlins, 91 USD's...some other stuff - sold

93 FZR 600 - rat/cafe/POS/Trackbike Project
03 SV1000S - bye bye
06 R6 50th Anniversary - slip on, PCIII, race rails

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

haunter wrote:rofl

brotherhood of the venison
hahaha, good one!
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Man what a ride--glad to hear you are OK. A lesser rider on a lesser bike probably wouldn't have been.

That'll will even make me think twice about wickin it up on the street.

Kontoboy