Haynes-Yamaha directions differences

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Haynes-Yamaha directions differences

Post by spook »

While I’ve being rebuilding my FZ engine I’ve been referring to a couple of manuals I inherited from Stan. One is Haynes that covers FZR600, 750 and 1000 fours, the other is genuine Yamaha FZ750.

I’ve been referencing both as I go, just to get two views on the same subject.

When I was checking the main bearing calculations, I came across a discrepancy between Haynes and Yamaha. On the Yamaha page you can see the crank numbers and the case number read J1 J2 etc from left to right the way you read them in a logical fashion.

In Haynes they read the crank from left to right, but the case numbers they flip around so A, or J1 becomes 5.

This would really stuff up your main bearing calculations, and would ensure the wrong clearance bearings ending up on at least some of the journals.

I may have it wrong, but thought I would mention it
Last edited by spook on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Well if you have it right,

Thanks for posting Spook, much appreciated!
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

creed12r
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

numbers

Post by creed12r »

In the Yamaha manual, the crankcase is the right way up, in the haynes the crankcase is upside down, the number for J5 in both photo's is the number closest to the crankcase vent pipe, so both manuals are correct.

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Okay I see now. Sure is a confusing way to present it :? That said I'm dyslexic, so confusing me isn't such a big job :)

creed12r
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

bearings

Post by creed12r »

spook wrote:Okay I see now. Sure is a confusing way to present it :? That said I'm dyslexic, so confusing me isn't such a big job :)
Yes it's stupid and confuses everyone.

mobil1
New Poster

Post by mobil1 »

I had my local garage fit new forks seals a couple of years ago. When i got them back and fitted them the first ride out nearly dislocated my shoulders! :shock
I went back to the shop and said they were way to hard. After much head scatching it turns out that the Yamaha manual says there is only one oil level for all Fzr1000 forks, (usd,rwu, all years) Haynes say there's 4 or 5 levels depending on year and type. He'd put 535cc in them when for my year it should have been alot less. But then Haynes does tell you to put the crank in back to front on a Honda CBX1000 6 cylinder.
Play Safe. Play Hard!

creed12r
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

dealers

Post by creed12r »

mobil1 wrote:I had my local garage fit new forks seals a couple of years ago. When i got them back and fitted them the first ride out nearly dislocated my shoulders! :shock
I went back to the shop and said they were way to hard. After much head scatching it turns out that the Yamaha manual says there is only one oil level for all Fzr1000 forks, (usd,rwu, all years) Haynes say there's 4 or 5 levels depending on year and type. He'd put 535cc in them when for my year it should have been alot less. But then Haynes does tell you to put the crank in back to front on a Honda CBX1000 6 cylinder.
There's a supplement in the rear of the Genuine YAMAHA manual that lists the differences for the later models including the revised fluid level and quantity, if they'd looked they would have seen it.