EXUP interchangeability

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
slick58

EXUP interchangeability

Post by slick58 »

I hope I am not too late here. It looks as though most of the posts on here are from the 90's thru 2007ish! I am not sure whether or not this is a new topic, but I havent seen it yet anywhere on here, and saw that if I'm not sure where to post, to post here. I have a 92 FZR 1000 and someone decided to eliminate the EXUP components and servo/cables etc.... From what I have read, it looks as though you can, in fact do this, but you must either leave the servo connected, or install a loop di doo di. I am waiting for one of these from someone off here who is nice enough to help me out. My question is: Does the bike run better than the stock setup when you do this bypass? I can't see how myself. Perhaps thinking anything restricting the exhaust flow would be a hinderance to the exhaust dynamics. You would also have to rejet and modify the collector as well I'm assuming. At any rate, I am not looking to be able to pull the front end up in third or fourth gear anymore like I did 30yrs ago. I just want a fast bike that runs well, so I can wind it out occasionally. From what I have read on this very informal website, I need to get it back to stock condition re-incorporating the servo and the EXUP. I found one online for a 1990 FZR 1000. Is that interchangeable with a 1992? I have the exhaust already without the EXUP assembly, and if I were to purchase all seperately, the cost would be prohibitive. To make a long story short; Which servos, cables and exup exhaust assy, or EXUP parts(valve) are interchangeable with what years, and models? FZR 400, 600, 1000. Thanks for any input!!!
Whoops! I forgot to tell you why I am asking this; It is running in limp mode! up to about 4k and then starts backfiring. I can't wait to get this thing going.
Thanks again!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Re: EXUP interchangeability

Post by FZRDude »

Hey Slick,

:welcome to the site.

Seeing how you are an "older" bloke (not old) I recommend just sticking with the stock set-up and using whatever slip-on pipe you like. The Stock headers w/EXUP should fit all years of the FZR from 89-95. Post up some pics of the bike, and update your profile to show the "general" area you are from.

Now that you bring it up, I think that other than a motor and headers I have everything to build another 94 1000. And tires, as I'm putting the extra set I have on the bike next week.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Unless you spend some time on R&D, I would stick with the exup in the header designed for it. There is engineering involved that has to do with exhaust pulses helping scavenge at lower revs and increase torque, but once the revs rise, it's ncecssary to open the valve for maximum flow. Most after market full systems will be designed for more flow overall and can compensate for some of the low end loss, or lack of gain, with a significantly higher high end. Where you ride in the revs can determine what setup would work best for you. General street riding and touring, I'd stick with the factory header and a good slip on. Track work, full system. I did a full system on my Ace, and filled in the midrange with a 1040 kit.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

these guys won't steer you wrong.

the discussion of swapping headers/exup from one model to the next has popped up from time to time, but i think we all pretty much came to the agreement that trying to make 750 headers fit on the 1000 (and other silliness) can kinda be done but it isn't worth the effort. wait, we did come to that agreement, didn't we?

anyway, stock headers, stock exup, nice slip-on with stock jetting is a great start. and don't believe the k&n hype, a decent paper filter and a tuned up bike will run fine. if you did decide to switch to pod filters and ditch the airbox then you will need to re-jet.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Big Jon
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Big Jon »

Agreed, my switch to k&n was because the Aces are traditionally on the rich side, a slip on and filter help, plus once I changed a paper filter 4 times it already paid for a k&n. If I'd known I was going to keep them for this long, I'd a bought a stainless oil filter too and saved some serious bucks. There are plenty of OEM headers on line for cheap, if the one you have is in rough shape, or the exup is beyond help.