Storage

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
davemfox2
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Storage

Post by davemfox2 »

I've been offered one of these to store my bike in - http://www.mrbox.co.uk/container-galler ... container/# (generic picture) - apart from the heat (if the sun ever shines in the UK) potentially taking any fuel tank fumes upto ignition point, are there any other drawbacks to storing it in here?

Dave
1993 YZF 750 SP with Yoshimura half system
RG400
GSXR 1100WT

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Re: Storage

Post by spook »

Hi Dave, the containers make a relatively cheap, and very secure storage. They do get hot here, but as you point out you are in the UK.

There are quite a few things you can do to improve how well they work. Ventilation is important, cutting a vent on a door or side with fly wire between the two, and a whirly vent on the roof allows a flow of air through the container. Sitting them up off the ground allows for airflow and drainage underneath. Probably the best thing you could do is put an iron roof on the container so there is an air gap between the container roof and the the tin roof you install. This keeps direct sun, rain and snow of the container itself. It's a little bit of extra expense, but well worth it. You can also set up a gutter and rainwater tank off the roof for washing bikes and watering the garden.

Door Vent

Roof vent

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

if you're only using it for storage of a bike i'd be also putting the bike in a vac bag to keep the moisture out
www.exup1000.co.uk
www.stigsdump.co.uk

the light is on and guests always welcome

davemfox2
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by davemfox2 »

Thanks Gents. I'll make sure there are enough ventilation points in the container and will also get a vacuum bag too

Dave
1993 YZF 750 SP with Yoshimura half system
RG400
GSXR 1100WT