LSR ZX14R build

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Re: LSR ZX14R build

Post by kiwi60 »

Hmm, so Australia has it's own 'skunk works' eh :shock:
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Dunno Kiwi, I'll have to lookup Skunk Works, pretty cool name, and a distinctive smell, trust me on that!

I've edited my post on the other page if you want to have a look. Cheers Mate! :thumbup:

spook

Post by spook »

So with that manifold back on the other page, there is an attempt to even up the pipe lengths for pulse purposes?

But it is dual scroll? So my way of thinking is that you don't need to match your scroll lengths lets call them 1 and 2 scroll.

the 1-4 pulse is relevant, but separate to the 2-3 pulse. So we have two separate entities now.

Prior to this project i knew nothing about this stuff, still don't in practice. But I don't think it is that complicated. Perhaps 1-4 should also be slightly staged also, so there is more duration of pulse?

I reckon it doesn't matter that much with a turbo?

Everyone knows the Subaru warble? If it had even exhaust lengths, it wouldn't have one.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

This creates a pretty convoluted manifold... here's an example
To say the least. I'm assuming those are the two waste gates and the turbo sits on the other side of the flange with the 2 rectangular holes? Is there enough clearance from where that turbo is mounted to the back of the rad? That even looks like it would hit the back of the front tire, at least from that picture anyways.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook

Post by spook »

I will have plenty of room Michael, just can't say how atm.

Here is a photo more like the headers I'll be making. Looking from above.

spook

Post by spook »

I downloaded Solid Edge's free S9 2D drafting program, and after stuffing about in the dark for 1/2 a day, I managed to to get to this point. I think I will do a course. This is just blind luck! The proportions look okay? I'll have them cut from 8mm stainless. May as well get 12 cut, it will probably cost the same. Once these are done I can build the manifold.

I'll send it off to a waterjet cutting bloke I met a few months ago, see if he can make sense of it. I asked him what thickness he was able to cut without cut splay-distortion, and he said 200mm? :shock:

I've recently heard 2020 is the last year for the ZX14R, it will be interesting to see if they replace it with a supercharged version? :crazy:

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Looks almost as narly as the headers I was having built for the BMW 850i
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

And here is the end product... It is sort of like paddock to plate (it takes just as long!)

spook

Post by spook »

Dash decision has been made.

This will interface with the Motec ecu okay, and give the values I will need to ride real time.

Not fancy... I don't need dash that does data logging as the Motec will do that, though this one will if you wish to go that way.

The important thing is motec will talk to it.

I found a used one at good money, so snapped it up :crazy: Also another Motec M4 ecu for the injected Bimota project. :crazy:

spook

Post by spook »

These are a nice solid thing. Die-cast aluminium housing, waterproof etc. It will probably find a home on one of my race bikes once I've finished with it here... :drool:

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Nice :popcorn
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Looks cool, but I prefer old school clocks myself. I suppose the big test would be if you can see it in the sun or not, not that you're going to be looking down at your speedo at plus 200mph. Clocks certainly can't datalog and do all that other fancy shmancy stuff though.
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

Old-school clocks Michael, I would like them too. But with all the moving parts, there isn't or wouldn't be enough room.

This ideally is what I would like to use, as it incorporates everything I need to see when doing a run:

But at (au) 5K it isn't going to happen. So Dash2 and a reversing camera (pointing forward)... :lolno:

ThomVis
Veteran Poster

Post by ThomVis »

sickle44 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:36 am
I suppose the big test would be if you can see it in the sun or not, not that you're going to be looking down at your speedo at plus 200mph.
It's not the sun that's the problem, it's the viewing angle of the display. I have an Acewell on my streetbike and had to adjust the angle so I look straight at it in normal riding position to be able to read anything. In any other position it's either a big gray blur or a big blue blur, depending if I have my lights on or not. Other riders here have gone back to analog for the same reason.
Intelligence is alcohol soluble.

spook

Post by spook »

I'll have a 4" monitor and this dash in what could be described as a bucket, so sun wont have much effect on them. I'm not going to have my head up looking at the track (drag) it is going to be facing down looking at the monitor, and steering it that way.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Yiches! I get it, but damn!
Michael

spook

Post by spook »

sickle44 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm
Yiches! I get it, but damn!
Ha. I'm thinking VR googles or something similar that my visor can press up to.
Perhaps one screen... for me R/H looking where I'm going, the other L/H (I know that is obvious..lol.) instruments???

Won't be going for march 2020, there is not enough time or money at this point to make it happen.

2021 will be it's first outing.

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

What about a heads up display on your visor, I get that you're trying to make yourself as slippery as possible and that keeping your head in the wind on any bike at even 100mph plus is difficult, can't imagine that that'd be like at 200mph, it was hard enough at my FZ1's 300km/hour. Isn't there enough room behind the windscreen to keep your eyes forward, and with a heads up display, you'd never have to change your site line, just a thought Ralph.
Michael

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

What about a heads up display on your visor, I get that you're trying to make yourself as slippery as possible and that keeping your head in the wind on any bike at even 100mph plus is difficult, can't imagine that that'd be like at 200mph, it was hard enough at my FZ1's 300km/hour. Isn't there enough room behind the windscreen to keep your eyes forward, and with a heads up display, you'd never have to change your site line, just a thought Ralph.
Michael

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Michael