Just an Observation....

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

what's a kick stand?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

:funny

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

I thought it was because ( at least here in the states) all of your right hand turns are shorter and tighter. When you make a lefty, 9 out of 10 times it sweeps wider and is a longer turn. Think about an intersection. If you go left and you ride on the right side of the road, you are traveling more distance. If you turn right, it is an immediate change of direction. This is also why I was told my front tire wore more on the left side than it did on the right.

Now, I just make right hand turns :P
1987 Excite Bike Champion

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

ftang
Veteran Poster

Post by ftang »

Your tyre wears more on the left than the right because of the road camber - your bike is (mostly) more or less upright on a bit of road that slopes away to your right - wearing the left side of the tyre. In the UK they'd wear more on the right.

Well, it's a theory.
(1994 YZF750R)

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

ftang wrote:Your tyre wears more on the left than the right because of the road camber - your bike is (mostly) more or less upright on a bit of road that slopes away to your right - wearing the left side of the tyre. In the UK they'd wear more on the right.

Well, it's a theory.
That theory doesn't work for me. I ride 54 miles each day going to work and back home. It is almost all highway. So my tires are brand new on the sides and wore out in the middle. :? Anybody need track tires? :lol:
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

RUFtech wrote:
ftang wrote:Your tyre wears more on the left than the right because of the road camber - your bike is (mostly) more or less upright on a bit of road that slopes away to your right - wearing the left side of the tyre. In the UK they'd wear more on the right.

Well, it's a theory.
That theory doesn't work for me. I ride 54 miles each day going to work and back home. It is almost all highway. So my tires are brand new on the sides and wore out in the middle. :? Anybody need track tires? :lol:
Mine are getting that way too. George Bush Turnpike has a lot of my rubber floating around on it, as does HWY114.

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

HptK
New Poster

Post by HptK »

RUFtech wrote:

Well, it's a theory.
you know there are tyre companies that make dual compound tryes, with harder compounds down the middle of the tyre to try avoid that happening. i ride about 70 klms (45 miles) on the freeway every day, and i dont have much of an issue with my tyres. I use Bridgestone batlax tyres. good stuff, and they cost 1/2 what a pirelli or metzler would cost.
Hayden

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Try Pilot Powers..... I have about 6K on mine, and hardly any wear in the middle.

They did take a trip to Cali, but that was when they were brand new. Maybe I'm just catching up on the wear of all those twisties?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Tyre wear

Post by Yoniboi »

Most of the dual compound tyres are softer on the sides, not harder down the middle. It evens things out a bit but doesn't decrease tyre wear (which is normally dictated by the centre strip).

My tyres, Michelin PPs, seriously desintegrate if I do more than 10km at more than 130km/h. They delaminate. Otherwise they do really well considering.

John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

ftang
Veteran Poster

Post by ftang »

On the other hand, consider the advantages of a seriously squared off tyre: eventually the bike will stand upright on its own and you can do away with the kickstand.
(1994 YZF750R)

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

ftang wrote:On the other hand, consider the advantages of a seriously squared off tyre: eventually the bike will stand upright on its own and you can do away with the kickstand.
Which will then allow us to be able to turn both directions equally well. :banana
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

RUFtech wrote:
ftang wrote:On the other hand, consider the advantages of a seriously squared off tyre: eventually the bike will stand upright on its own and you can do away with the kickstand.
Which will then allow us to be able to turn both directions equally well. :banana
Nope, not ambidextrious here, I am single-minded. :lol: Lefts are easier but rights are more fun.
Yoniboi wrote:My tyres, Michelin PPs, seriously desintegrate if I do more than 10km at more than 130km/h. They delaminate. Otherwise they do really well considering.
That is a little scary since I have those tires. What does that convert to in miles? (10km= ?)

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

10km = 6.2 miles

130kph = 80.7mph.

Yoni, your tires fall apart if you go 80 mph for 6 miles? I'd be calling Michelin.

RiceRocket1
Veteran Poster

Post by RiceRocket1 »

FZRDude wrote:10km = 6.2 miles

130kph = 80.7mph.

Yoni, your tires fall apart if you go 80 mph for 6 miles? I'd be calling Michelin.

I second that,

I hammer the Pilot Powers that I have on the track and street with no problems other than I make them wear a bit quicker at the track :lol:

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

No doubt, I have maintained well over that speed for 10+ miles and not had a problem.

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

offered for consideration. l/h fairings. turnsignals/mirrors/eng. covers outsell right by substansial margin. could it be that we all are more willing to sacrifice having a foot under shifter than to be able to reach/use brake pedal? G.

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

I enjoyed all the posts regarding the various theories on why we make better left turns than right turns. If you're making right turns like this guy ... the answer is simple ... improve your form while executing right turns. :D

Don

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

:funny

I used to do that on my Shadow just to mess with my riding buddies.

They finally asked me "Why are you doing that?" and my rely was "I'm setting up for the next turn..."

HptK
New Poster

Post by HptK »

Looks like a noob. bet he thinks he looks just like rossi too. :2cents
Hayden

DAVE
Regular Poster

Post by DAVE »

That is sure one way to get rid of the chicken strips and grind the hero nipples :lol:
DAVE Image

ImageDAVE's websiteImage Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.