Dragging a knee

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!

Can you drag a knee?

Yes
68%
No
26%
Don't even try for it
5%

Total votes: 19

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

FZRDude wrote:At 6'3" and 155 lbs, I doubt that I have a weight problem.... well actually I do have a weight problem... not enough of it.
We need to put you on a big mac and super size fry diet. I am 6'5" and 275lbs, I dont consider myself fat, but I could do well to drop down to 250. I dont think with the 6" over swingarm, trying to drag knee would fare too well, might end up in a ER visit and a cancelation of insurance...
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Finally got a knee down at the track this last summer after 30 rears of riding bikes. I'm going on 53, so you're never too old to learn.

It also surprised me at first, and as reported it did help build confidence and serve as a lean guage. I didn't feel like was going faster but physics dictates that I must have been.

The big barrier for me was getting my body position sorted out. Pre-Knee Down I was getting my ass way too far off the seat but not bringing my torso over. Post-knee I was just sliding a cheek off but getting my upper body over so my head was over the clip-ons.

Putting a tank bra on (the bike, not me) and planting a knee into the side of the tank helped a great deal in getting the right body position. Without the bra I was just slipping too far off.

I just rented "Faster" and it was interesting to hear Kenny Roberts Sr. talk about body position. It was reported he was one of the first guys really leaning off and using body position to redistribute weight, borrowing from his dirt track experience. In the segment Kenny said he was getting his knee down in search for a point to balance some weight so he could spin and steer with the rear tire.

This was 25 years ago. Since there we no knee pucks then, he said he used tape on his leathers. I saw one of the bikes he did this on at a local bike show last year--skinny tires, tube frame must of flexed like hell, 2 stroke with on/off powerband....

The guys got balls.... That's why he's my favorite old school racer.

Kontoboy

Bucko
New Poster

Post by Bucko »

I got the shoulder down before.

I was the monkey on an F1 sidecar. Man those things are quick!
It seems even quicker when your head is only inches from the ripple strip...