Interesting day at the track

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Interesting day at the track

Post by stan »

I had an e-mail from Spook during the week, he was heading to the track on sunday, was i interested in comming along??

well i finished work at 8am yesterday, and headed up to a local track (broadford) to help Spook with his preperations for the upcomming race season

The day was progressing well, until out of the corner of my eye i see a red flag..........oh shit............a quick count of the bikes on track................oh shit!!!!!

After leaving a black line of about 5mts in length, there appeares to be a gap of about 6 to 8 metres before the bike and spook both hit the ground

The end result of the day was a very second hand CBR 929, and a brused and battered Spook, who it appeares, has tried to impersinate James Tosland.

pics to follow

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Damn! Well as long as Spook is okay.

.......and I thought that all H*ndas were second hand.... :ha
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Root! I hope it's as minor as possible, both for Spook and for his bike.
Last edited by hotcam on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Hope things work out and Spook is not bang up to bad.
:bfg

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Thank Guys,
I'm fine-ish definitely not finished :)

We had been having trouble with the rear spinning up (everywhere) for the two previous sessions, I wasn't minding it loose, it is sort of fun, though it really shouldn't have been lighting up at all. We tried pressures etc, to no avail, it just got worse. The particular turn is a big up hill 180 deg sweeper to an off camber exit onto back straight... Absolutely awesome :) I felt it going as it had done half a dozen times before, but held on to it. I have over the years managed to deprogrammed the natural reaction to shut off gas when things are going pear shaped.

Anyway, I have a recollection of thinking f*ck… this is going to hurt. And the visual of looking back at the bike upside down and letting go of the bars at about that point in time, and the sickening sound sometime after of the bike hitting the deck and destroying itself, knowing it was my turn sometime soon. I think I landed on my back after flipping, as the back of my leathers and a ground away helmet would suggest, though I came to rest on my stomach? The flaggy reckons I was motionless for a period of time, so I might have been knocked out for a moment, I know I was badly winded, so getting the first breath was a priority for a while.

My main concern was my 8 month old replacement hips, I’m happy to report they held up well enough for me to be able to stand with out help. I wear alphinstar shorts with hard hip protection armor, and the Moot designs pressure suit and one piece Collins kangaroo hide leathers. (what’s that skip?? Tttttt!)
http://www.exupworldwide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9576

Stan as always was sensational… loaded the wreck, my gear etc. A man couldn’t ask for a better crew chief, or friend for that matter. In the most responsible manner he drove me into Broadford, and supporting my weight, arm in arm, helped me limp into the casualty section of the Broadford hotel, where we had a few beers, counter lunch and a bloody good laugh as always.

Out of this we have learned, don’t use second hand rubber unless you know first person what you are getting. These (208 gp’s) obviously only had done a few laps on them because they were shit! They must be a hard compound as they where not wearing right, they where down to the wear indicators after only 3 days of track riding (about 400 klm). This I’m aware contradicts some views I had held to a degree… As I have stated, be very selective about what and from who you buy secondhand stuff from.

I went home, took some left over morphine (pre-hips) and stripped the bike down :) Stan has some photo’s on his phone he may post. Racing is definitely a process.

Damage report

Bike:
Set of fairings, Instrument sub frame, Clocks broken off, Pipe smashed, outlet bent, Bars, brake cylinder, etc gone, Dint in frame… Brings a tear to my eyes, Tank banged up, Sliders, rear sets, etc etc.

Me:
One badly bruised hip but no problems. Perhaps a broken rib, but I think more likely bruised… too early to tell. Pulling up amazingly well actually. Though the normal everything hurts sort of thing.

The moral of the story, don't skip on armor, or rubber, they are the only thing between you and the ground

So all good! Thanks Stan. You’re a fucking legend :cheers

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Aaargh! That's no good, glad you came out of it without a ride in the
meatwagon, but sorry about the bike, eh.
Sounds like those tyres really were a bit wrong. Kind of reminds me
of someone's description of ex-race tyres that have been severely
overheated in the past, but you would know better about that.

Here's wishing you luck and speedy healing and lots of creative
ideas on how to rebuild the 'blade... and a sympathy beer
:cheers
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Glad spooks OK, good on Cam for helping. I hate anyone falling. Not only does it hurt, but it is bloody expencive, thats the bad part. You are off the track untill you can gather enough money to fix leathers, gloves, helmets, & Bike..
Last edited by sbutler on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

spook

Post by spook »

hotcam wrote:Kind of reminds me of someone's description of ex-race tyres that have been severely overheated in the past, but you would know better about that.
You know Cam, perhaps they were or had been overheated, hence my warning in regard to buying only what you have first hand reliable knowledge of. In the case of this set I did not. I'm learning every step of the way, and quite prepared to do it the hard way... I'm not afraid to push, or off the consequences. You learn nothing putting it on the trailer because it stepped out once, and going home. Stan and i had that discussion, and we kept at it. You have to fall if you wish to really learn. As that is where the boundary lies, it is an invisible line so hence the difficulty in discovering it. Mistakes in choice and judgment are inevitable, it just happens that this sport is particularly unforgiving if you happen to err.

While I'll never claim to know that much, I am learning, and I will be one of the better riders out there, eventually. I have studied sports science and have won a couple of Australian championships in another sport, so as long as the body holds up I'll be giving it my best, the process is not foreign to me.

Cheers

:cheers

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Just caught this thread - sorry to hear of the flying lesson spook, but I'm glad to hear that your more or less ok apart from what sounds like a dam good hammering along the track; as it could have been a lot worse.

At least you had Dr Stan administering the anethestic afterwards...

Everytime I've hit the deck, the hardest thing for me hasn't been getting the bike sorted, it's been getting my head sorted; and moving past the 'survival reaction' that has appeared everytime you face that situation again.

It really puts me in awe of the WSB/MotoGP guys who bin it at 300kph, get on their spare bike and proceed to qualify in pole - hero's all of them!!!!!

Keep us posted on the progress.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook

Post by spook »

"Every time" (lol)… Yes I hear you Kiwi.

Why it is that the object of our desire…. the thing we love so much, also has the potential at any split second to kill or destroy us? It is an ironic paradox for sure, an attraction that I’m not sure that I understand, nor wish to. The intoxicating mix of speed, adrenalin, and skill that allows the passing of a day with out harm is reward itself enough I guess…. Though the outcome of any day at the track is never completely ours to control.

I'm really not sure how many more crashes I've got left in me. I'm amazed I managed to come away from this one in such good shape :roll:

You have to keep in mind that our WSBK and MotoGP heroes, have fair age and fitness advantage. Though that in no way negates the courage they demonstrate week in and week out. Cheers!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

spook wrote:Why it is that the object of our desire…. the thing we love so much, also has the potential at any split second to kill or destroy us? It is an ironic paradox for sure, an attraction that I’m not sure that I understand, nor wish to. The intoxicating mix of speed, adrenalin, and skill that allows the passing of a day with out harm is reward itself enough I guess..........
Aye, my 2 favorite hobbies have each broken my left leg in 2 places, yet I will continue to do both until I cannot.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Why it is that the object of our desire…. the thing we love so much, also has the potential at any split second to kill or destroy us? It is an ironic paradox for sure, an attraction that I’m not sure that I understand, nor wish to. The intoxicating mix of speed, adrenalin, and skill that allows the passing of a day with out harm is reward itself enough I guess…. Though the outcome of any day at the track is never completely ours to control.
I recieved an email from a good friend of mine who races a GSXR 7/11 in the same class as me today, it was titled "Bionic Motorbiker"

In December last year he was taken out on our local track by a less experienced rider trying to make a pass on one of the faster corners and this riders front wheel came into contact with Tony's rear wheel.
The end result was that Tony's bike was sent sideways at over 200kph and he hit the barriers just passed where the safety airbags ended.

His pelvis was completely shattered and he's gone through several long operations just to save his leg and get back into one(ish) piece again.

After several months in hospital, he actually came to the board meeting last Monday in his wheelchair.

He starts gentle physio in the next few weeks and should be walking again in about six months.

He reckons he has a 1-3 year plan to get back out there, but after talking to his wife I think it's going to be a lot longer than that before he even gets near a bike again :roll:

But your 100% right there spook, well all go out and do it again cause our mistress is not to be ignored.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Aye, my 2 favorite hobbies have each broken my left leg in 2 places, yet I will continue to do both until I cannot.
So, what's the other hobby then? :?

2005 SV996R SOLD

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Ouch! I'm nothing like that (may I be blessed). My other hobby is snow skiing. I may trade that in for snowmobiling though. Just have to see what next winter season brings.

spook

Post by spook »

Aye, I hear you also Tim. I have read your 'interesting day in the track' (lol) post and I can relate to your attitude and approach to adventure and injury. It is a quality I admire, respect, and live by also.

I was going to make the comparison Kiwi, between motorcycle racing and relationships, but thought better of it at the time... It is however probably the most laconic analogy one could make. (lol)

Courage, I think in relation to this and other high risk pursuit requires a combination of respect and optimism. And I think perhaps the line between physical and moral courage are blurred. The physical being acceptant of pain, hardship, or threat of death, whilst the moral being the ability to act in the face of opposition, however well meant, from family and friends in the way of discouragement.

I’m definitely not one to be giving advice on this particular subject, as I am a serial offender… And believe your friend Kiwi, will make up his own mind as time goes on. I see little point in discouraging a man who is a wheel chair from his dreams of joining the grid. Please pass on my best wishes to your Mate Tony (Bionic) on my behalf.

As long as the soreness one experiences is equaled by that of the muscles in your face that form a smile, well, your on the right track…

Cheers :cheers

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Man, Ilooked at the x-ray and at first glance it look like a chain was going though him. I'm sorry to see that much work going on in your friends body. I hope he gets though his rehap and is going to be able to walk somewhat normal again. I would take my time to make sure everything heals the right way and he has no problems. That much hardware in the body can't be good especially when it gets cold outside. I know someone who had pins in their body and winter was not a good time for them. Hope all goes good for him.
:bfg

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

:good Exactly what he said.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

spook

Post by spook »

I can't believe it has been 3 months since I binned the CBR! Stan and I went back to Broadford today with the intention of giving it and myself a run. We drove through rain and sleet, optimistic that the weather would be better 'over' the other-side of the range.

It was quite wet and cold, and in the hour that we were there three bikes went down. We didn't even bother pulling it off the trailer.

Hope your buddy bionic is up and about and feeling better Kiwi.... No point worrying about a bit of metal. Stan scanned this film of the surgery I had done a year ago.

So here is the CBR finished, waiting, and tucked back in at home. And a shot of my groin! No doubt a little bit neater than Tony's, though he still has a few parts that I have given up for titanium. Wish him well from me, and a speedy return to the track. Cheers.

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

glad to see the disc works OK,

Thanks for a nice trip up to Broadford, man i need to stop doing these night shifts before you head to the track, it wears me out

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Wish him well from me, and a speedy return to the track. Cheers.
I'll be seeing him on Saturday at the Post Classis AGM and will pass the message on to him. He's up and around using just the one crutch so the hips knitting together quite well now, but she who must be obeyed has well and truly put the brakes on his racing plans for a year or two...

Your decision to leave the bike on the trailer is the same one that Layle and I would have made, it's better to loose the race fee than a few thousand $$$ in repairs.

I've only ever raced once in the raced once in the rain and it was not an experiance I look forward to repeating.

Having said all that, both Lyle and I will have spare sets of wheels with full wet racing rubber when we come over in 2011 - were not about to bring the bikes all that way and not have a go if it's raining, ah well, guess I am getting old and feeble in the brain after all :banana :banana

2005 SV996R SOLD