New toy

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

New toy

Post by spook »

Just picked up a new family member, a 2000 model Aprillia RS250. I was going to wack a RZV500 V4 into it, but it turns out to be too nice to mess with. It only has 6900k on the clock, so I reckon I will just register it and enjoy it over summer :)

97YZF1000
Veteran Poster

Post by 97YZF1000 »

Congrats on the new toy! I've been busy myself modifying the FZ1.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Oooo I want one!!!! But seems like I'm throwing money at my other hobby more than this one.....
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

rush1
Veteran Poster

Post by rush1 »

Nice ride. Hope you enjoy it very much,
:bfg

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Nice little pickup spook. Good trackday bike..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Wicked, spook! I have long wanted to get one of these as a trackday
bike, now that they are no longer learner-legal I hope they are coming
down in price.

I know you're going to have a blast on it, two-strokes are so
rewarding to ride because they GO SO FAST when you get it right,
but they just STOP when you get it wrong!
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

Teego
New Poster

Re: New toy

Post by Teego »

spook wrote:I will just register it and enjoy it over summer :)
And rebuild the mill over winter ;)
Are we going on somewhere?

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

And rebuild the mill over winter
Nah, 2-smokes take about 20 minutes to rebuild! Which is good,
because you do it once a month... :P ;)

At least, it's probably the same service interval and time taken
to replace the pistons +rings on one of those, as it is to shim
the valves on a 20-valve FZR. And due to the fact that it's a
Suzuki RGV250 motor, and all the production racing of those
bikes which has occurred here, top end kits are cheap.

I want one too :hissy :hissy
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

spook

Post by spook »

Thanks Guys, it really is one of the prettiest production bikes I think that has been ever made. I know that is a big call, but it is probably the closest thing you will get to a production replica, bar say the Ducati Desmocedici RR. lol.

I've settled down a bit after the excitement of the initial purchase, and think I will go with the original plan... Pull the 250 and fit the RZV500 engine. I'm looking into the possibility of fitting Yamaha TZM150 cylinders to the 500, they have pv controlled boost ports etc, and should take it out to about 700cc, and 150rwhp... lol.

I picked up the bike for a bargain price, though I had to drive to Adelaide (1600 km round trip) on a hours notice... thankfully it turned out better than my expectations. I came with F&R stands, and two sets of unused race glass.

I reckon go for it Cam, they are a really nicely put together bike, Brembo wheels, brakes, WP forks, sach shock, funky dash, etc etc. There are always one or two at broadford, they go great!

Here's a pix of it with the panels off. It has not been washed in there, it is as it came out of the shed. Where are the pic's of your FZ1 Tony :)

97YZF1000
Veteran Poster

Post by 97YZF1000 »

spook wrote:...Where are the pic's of your FZ1 Tony :)
Well I wish 2 stroke bikes were street legal here, but alas they're not :(

Here are a couple of pics of my latest mod, full Yoshimura R-77 CF exhaust. Oh and I removed the db killer insert. It sounds wicked!

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

Hey Spook, nice bike. Have you seen this:

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/Aprilia_RS500_2008.htm

Forget that clunky old V4, this is the way to go.

I was really keen to get one myself but too many projects already, including in fact one of those clunky old V4s. The RZ500s are great when they go, but if ever there was a financial black hole of a motorcycle...

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

97YZF1000 wrote:Well I wish 2 stroke bikes were street legal here, but alas they're not :( ....
They are legal only if they were sold as a production bike before something like 1985.... RZ350 is the only one that come to mind right off.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Nice :)

Like duke22 said, go the Two Stroke Shop way :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Hey Spook, nice bike. Have you seen this:

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/Aprilia_RS500_2008.htm
Go on spook - you know you want to - and their even an Aussie mob :banana
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

spook

Post by spook »

Nooooooooo... no I don't :) (nice Tony btw... keep us posted)

You have to give it to them, and the direction they are moving in (The two Stroke shop people) they are doing great work. The two stroke is far from dead, in it's old guise maybe, but not in my shed... :)

The limited future of fossil powered vehicles is in the two stroke domain, they are better in every respect... Why put the energy into 4 strokes when you can have it all in 2? Only joking MsHap...

I don't want to do a kit... I want 2 pipes coming out of the tail section and two from the side :) I have a RZV motor sitting on the shelf... So i have been thinking about it for a while :) I have been out on the RS for a ride, and it will benefit from some extra forward weight, and another 100 rwhp... lol.

The two stroke shops idea is a capitalization on the banshee big bore mod called the cheetah, even though they have refined it. The effect they are having on the motorcycling community is amazing to the point of ridiculous There are a bunch of guys on one of the Aprillia forums that are like deer in the headlights... They wont talk about or entertain anything else, which is fine though a little boring. As far as i know the RZ 500 has not been done into the RS as yet, so it will be an interesting project and unique. I want out of this project the aesthetic of a 500cc GP machine in a road registered motorcycle. Anyway... So I guess none of you are going to want to take it for a ride???

There are quite a few RS250's registered in the US... Even some former cup bikes. I think the state you live in may have some bearing on how easy it is, but it definitely has been done.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

So I guess none of you are going to want to take it for a ride???
I'll be the first to put my hand up - too much time on Mach 3 Kawasaki's in my youth has left a strange addiction to peaky 2 strokes :banana

I'm fairly sure Lyle will also be thinking about how to shoehorn his RZ500 into something smaller now that you've metioned it.[/quote]
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

spook wrote:I want out of this project the aesthetic of a 500cc GP machine in a road registered motorcycle. Anyway... So I guess none of you are going to want to take it for a ride???
Now that's just teasing... :poke :poke

I knew a bloke who had an RZV500, he rode a LOT of miles on it, broke
a crankshaft once a year like clockwork. (!)
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

I knew a bloke who had an RZV500, he rode a LOT of miles on it, broke
a crankshaft once a year like clockwork. (!)
That might be down to that particular bike as weve got a couple that have been raced over the last few years here, and as far as I know, neither has had much in the way of reliabilty problems of any kind (one of them being Lyles) .

2005 SV996R SOLD

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

very cool spook! i remember first seeing one of those in real life back in the late nineties at a bimota/ducati dealership outside pittsburgh , pennsylvania. wanted one bad, but the dealer said no way. wasn't legal here and they had it for promotional efforts at the local track days.

awesome little bike.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

thunderaceDan
Veteran Poster

Post by thunderaceDan »

very nice machine you got there spook, i want an Aprillia. :cry:
NOT NOW CHIEF IAM IN THE ZONE