My old TL1000s

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Yeah, is that photoshopped purple? Cause I can see the speedo
needle is now purple, as well as the shock-spring and trolley
and toolbox in the background... :poke :)

I like it though, it's unusual and grabs the eye. Rare to see a bike
in unusual colours like that, most people choose the same old
team colours or neutral colours like plain black or grey.
Purple would make it easier to spot you and barrack for you in
the races!
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

spook wrote:This is an artists (photo shop) impression of the direction we are heading in.
Hmmm, Cam you should put in a little more effort in than just looking at the pictures :poke

Here's a pic not much different from the rest other than the endless list of fit-up issues etc taken care of. Everything is pretty much bolted up, bled, sorted, other than the yoshi high rise system that was bought pretty banged up. Quite a rare system to find for one of these, they are the best looking and negate the pillon pegs :banana

The front header pipe was smashed. A section from a standard S pipe, has been cut off and spread to go inside the yoshi. The interesting thing is this being a full 'race' system, the front outlet is a lot smaller than the oem pipe, while the rear outlet remains oem??? God knows, but I reckon half the time the product manufactures pump out for street, are quite often half-baked.

Speaking of which, I started on the body work, waxing moulds, preparation preparation…lol. As you would expect I went straight to making the carbon fiber lower, which I think was a mistake. The epoxy resin is really thick and difficult to work with (like thin Arildite). Good thing about having moulds is you can do it again if all does not go well. I reckon what I have will look okay, but not be quite what I’m seeking to achieve, probably end up being the ‘track’ lower. I have an approach plan now for the second attempt so a lot has been learnt. Tail section is gelled, and will lay it up tommorrow in polyester.

I’ve had this vision for this bike for 8 years. Happy to say we are nearly there
:)

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Those pipes look really good. I bet they sound horn.
Your "not quite ideal" fibreglass work looks
a lot better than the best I've ever done, too. :popcorn
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S
"And they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with wheels and gears and perfect in every respect, and they lived on it..." -Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

Yeah. Looks really good, all of it, although I expected the pipe to be higher still. Fabulous work though, really clean.
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

spook

Post by spook »

Pop on the left, OEM suzuki right. Huge difference!

Edit: Yoni they are pretty much where they will be. The hanger brackets are bolted up so proximity is pretty right... You may be thinking of the R's rear that heads up at even a more extreme angle... between the fairing and the number plate. Cheers.

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

No, I was thinking of something with a lot less angle, but higher overall, with more of a dog leg in the link pipe... you know, following the line of the sub-chassis.
Didin't have any preconceived ideas to be honest. Still looks good.
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

There isn't much that sounds better than a TL with twin Yoshi's

:popcorn
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

spook

Post by spook »

Yoniboi wrote:No, I was thinking of something with a lot less angle, but higher overall, with more of a dog leg in the link pipe... you know, following the line of the sub-chassis.
I know the style, Yoshi never made anything like that. The good thing about projects such as this, as you know Yoni... apart from the work, is you can totally indulge your personal taste and desire. While I'm hoping that the end product will be tasteful, it doesn't really matter :)

I just had a peak (pulled the carbon away from the mold) not too bad, I have to back it up with some standard reinforcement as it is too flimsy, tried some chop strand 400gsm last night... What a f**k-up! The uni directional mat and the epoxy don't mix so it was pulled out. I'll back it up with some woven plain glass, let it cure and pop it out. All indicators are that it is going to release okay :) learning, learning.

Yes Tim, it should BOOM! I had stock de-baffled pipes on it before, hardly any perf in the perf, if you know what I mean... Like em loud :)

EFFZEDARR
New Poster

Post by EFFZEDARR »

That is looking awesome,nice to see a decent shock in there aswell :rock
we might be poor but we do see life...

Scooter
New Poster

Post by Scooter »

Whats that bike under the blue blanket Spook? :) :) :)

willi
Veteran Poster

Post by willi »

any update on this :poke
89 FZR1000
07 CBR1000RR
07 HYOSUNG COMET 250R
Image http://www.freshfm.com.au/

spook

Post by spook »

lol... It's gathering dust :roll: I sort of run out of motivation and $$$. Summers ticking away. Doesn't need much to finish, well, that roll's off the tongue easily enough. Just needs a week on it and it will be done.

I'll keep you posted :?

spook

Post by spook »

Happy New Hangovers... A bit of progress. The high rise Yoshi system is on, bolted up, finished, lol. I had some carbon pre-preg sleeves made to replace the old stainless skins on the cans. When I pulled them apart half the fiberglass had been burnt and had disappeared...

Beware when your warming up your bike in a closed garage, that's what your breathing.

I've replaced all that with stainless steel dish washing scourers, they should stay put. Each muffler with the carbon sleeves now weighs 1.6 kg.

I had to modify the inner guard as it came in contact with the shock tower (grrr) So a stainless insert now supports the battery.

It's complicated... lol.

And here it is thus far. I've got something now that almost qualifies as exotica... but isn't. Oh well I like it :) I'm actually moving on something (a purchase) that is very exotic, and hope to have a deal done soon... (I'm doing a Butler now)

I'm currently fitting up controls, wires, airbox etc etc. Should get a run out of it soon. I've bought one of these... Vapor panel. Small feature rich instrument, that has Tacho, two stage shift lights, clock and a largish digital speedometer that runs of the front wheel. It has an optional surround that accommodates high beam, indicators etc, etc that i have ordered as well.

All up so far it weighs 160 kg with oil and water. All that has to be added to that is carbon race glass, tank, and fuel. So I'm guessing it's going to weigh in under 170kg :) Cheers.
Last edited by spook on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Looking good there spook. :) You don't muck around with your projects. I like your style.. :cool

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

That's one classy looking suzy spook, can't wait to see it finished :)
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

hotcam
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by hotcam »

Nice progress, it all looks fantastic. Merry Christmas and Happy new year from us too.
-------
'95 FZR1040 '09 FZ1-S

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Very Excellent work Spook,
coming along very well.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook

Post by spook »

Bit of an update, all the wiring has been taken care of. I've got a two way alarm and control unit on the way so it will be key-less and remote start with paging etc.

Last of the fabrication is done. Instrument sub-frame is finished and houses the Vapor dash. A new bracket to accommodate both the tank mount and race seat. Triples have been de-aprilarized, and a damper mount welded onto the back of the triple so the damper will mount across the front of the tank. I've used the standard TL damper bracket, albeit cut down and re-angled to suit. Should look okay, I will probably run an ohlins damper or perhaps tribble.

I have a hid bi-thingy (hi-low beam) kit for the endurance racer headlight type set-up, but there is to much crap that comes with it, so I'll risk running with a single beam projector and see how that goes. So:

Bits. A couple for FZ's there as well

A beter shot of the TL bits

Vapor dash and motor running!

She's got a big nose!

And a big arse... (crap photo...sorry)

seat and tank bracket:

And R1 rims, discs, 520 jt sprockets, slicks and TRX front calipers for the race OW01 :)

That's it for now :roll:

sickle44
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sickle44 »

Continuing to look OUTSTANDING there spook!
Can't wait to see the finished project.
Hey, thats a TLR bumb, yeah?

Tell me, regarding the slipper clutch, what exactly is it that you need. I was talking to Falicon today. If you let me know exactly what it is you need, hopefully it'll be simple enough for me to understand, I'll look into it for you.
Michael
Yes Yes I know, I said, I'm building a project YZF1070

Basement is done now, 850 finished and gone...
Gotta get the new siding up on the house.
Fixing the FZ1 up, cleaning up garage and then I might even begin

spook

Post by spook »

Yes Michael, it has R almost everything these days. It started life as a S... Then I did this to it :)

Some R fairings came up and I thought... What the hell? So it ended up like this:

And the rest is in the making :roll: The R body work adds a bit of volume to the bike... but I'm tired of this project, and just want something to ride. So the sooner it's finished the better :) Better go paint the triples and damper bracket now I'm thinking about it...lol.