Cooking your Carbs

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
mynewbike
Veteran Poster

Cooking your Carbs

Post by mynewbike »

I hope you guys find this info usefull I'm about to try this on an old set
of Kawi 500 triple carbs :D

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350
A Yami ride a day keeps the dr away:)

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I have been using Yamaha carb cleaner for well over 40 uears.
The last time I went to the Yamaha shop to get a quart, they told me that they wern't going to sell it any more. I asked them why and the owner of the shop told me "We don't WANT you guys fixin up them old bikes...we want you in here buyin new ones"
I promptly told him to go F*ck himself and told everyone I knew about his silly ass.
You can get it on line though and it is truely the best way to clean carbs. period. end of story
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

yamaweezle
Regular Poster

Post by yamaweezle »

that guy isn't lying about that berrymann's cleaner...that stuff stinks to high heaven...i'll remember that technique next time i run across an old bike needing a home... :)
She said, "It's just a bike...It can be replaced...", and I said, "Good, now you and my bike have something in common...".

Matt
NESBA #347
2004 YAMAHA R1

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

I "cooked" my carb with the Yamaha carb cleaner. Damn that stuff is potent--toulene and all those other great carcinogenic solvents. Burns the skin on contact.

XT350 carb--pretty dirty, espeically in the float bowl. Did a good job of getting all the surface dirt and grim. Didn't do so well with some oxidation inside the bowl (had bowl removed). All the rubber and plastic pieces came out fine with the exception of a couple clear plastic drain hoses that went opaque and stiffened up (but still useable).

After cooking I funneled the soup back into a plactic jug--hope that stuff doesn't melt a hole in it.

Kontoboy

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I have always mixed yamaha carb cleaner 50/50 with water and put hte carbs in, heat to just before boil and hold there for twenty min.
Works a treat...
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

Welcome back stranger!

I did a 1 to 3 mix--needed to add enough water to get the carb covered. still plenty potent.

Kontoboy

sydewayspiral

Post by sydewayspiral »

at my shop we use the yami sh*t to but straight and heated just b4 boil oooh its so good cleans out the sinuses to ! make sure it well vented
Drop a knee then twist the wrist

-94 FZR 1000 exup-genisis-deltabox

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

anyone got a link to this stuff plz :poke

I was same,...using the Yam fuel stabilizer over winter. UNTIL the dealer told me they were no longer gonna stock it (meaning more work for them come springtime)

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

:rock