Bike is somehow draining the battery while sitting in garage

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
Kyle300

Bike is somehow draining the battery while sitting in garage

Post by Kyle300 »

Hey guys, Im new here :cool I have a 1993 YZF750 with about 65000kms on the clock. Suddenly about 2 weeks ago my bike has been sucking the juice right out of my battery just while it sits in my garage. I can quick charge it for an hour and it will be ok for 1 ride or so. But if I charge it over night (in bike) in the morning it will be completely dead! The battery has been deemed fully charged and perfectly OK by my local yammy shop, so it is definatley the bikes fault! Any help is appreciated.
93 YZF750

Lemmy
Veteran Poster

Draining

Post by Lemmy »

Mjello - you have to check battery consumption with a amp-meter, in order to see, if you have a leak somewhere. I would still guess on your battery.

Regards - Lemmy

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I'd start with the ignition switch and work towards the battery..
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

One check you can do to see if there is a "key-off" drain is check for amperage and it is fairly easy to do...

Find a digital multimeter with a 10a setting and select that, now disconnect your negative cable and touch the positive (red) probe to the negative (black) cable and the negative probe to the battery negative post, you should see a reading of 0.00adc (amps d/c)...
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...

Kyle300

Post by Kyle300 »

Thanks guys. Turns out the battery was shot. I guess I was just surpried by the amount of life (or lack thereof) I got out of this battery. Is two seasons (stored indoors during winter) too much to ask from a battery?
93 YZF750

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

Kyle300 wrote:Hey guys, Im new here
Welcome Kyle ... Image
Is two seasons (stored indoors during winter) too much to ask from a battery?
Answer = it depends

A battery will lose 1% of it's charge per day. Keeping the battery fully charged will extend the life of the battery. So frequently used/charged batteries will last two seasons but infrequently used/charged batteries will not. You can keep the battery charged during storage with a battery tender and it will last longer than two seasons.

Don

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

Maybe it is a freak of nature, maybe it is because of the care I give it, but the battery in my 1999 Suzuki Katana 750 is the origional OEM one. I have a battery tender that I plug into the bike if it is going to sit more than 2 weeks and because I live in a winter snow climate, it satys on the tender from late october to early april, worthwhile investment at roughtly 30 bucks, maybe you should look into it???...
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...

RiceRocket1
Veteran Poster

Post by RiceRocket1 »

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

super easy way 2 check 4 a draw is to take off - lead from battery and use a test light to reconnect - lead to battery.. if light glows u have a draw... next remove fuses until light goes off and thats whats causing the draw!!!!!!!!!
:banana :banana :banana
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

aidybest
New Poster

Post by aidybest »

Winter my battery is total cr@p - summer it starts on the button even after long absences even with the immobiliser connected

vinsanity69
Veteran Poster

Post by vinsanity69 »

Noshoes tip with the test light is excellent.I have been chasing a amp draw for awhile,read that post and found it within minutes.Turned out to be the generator shorted out.... :cheers
89 fzr 1000 dragbike
94 foxeye street bike