Ohlins rebuild

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
noshoes
Veteran Poster

Ohlins rebuild

Post by noshoes »

I have a hrc 46 ohlins shock 4 a 87 1000 that if I want to make it fit my 90 1000 would cost me $390 to have a pretty much new shock !!!! I talked to AMF motorsports in New Hampshire (my home state btw) and they said I needed a new spring, body ,rod and needle to make it fit. I got thier shop off the ohlins website and talked to a guy that worked 4 ohlins usa 4 12 years so you know these guys r pros. I dont know if I should have it done or sell the thing and try to find the right 1 for my bike????????????

:scared :shock :sad :laughing :hissy
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

Seems these folk know their stuff :cool
Personally its down to cost. How much is a new one or even a good secondhand replacement (of which you will be unsure of its history)
As you say the altered shock will be as new due to its much altered specs...so does the warranty of a new shock justify the price difference of the rebuild???

Plus IF you sell the original ....what will it fetch
Good ohlins sell for around £350 in the UK secondhand, so the rebuild does sound good value

its your call :poke

straygator
Veteran Poster

Post by straygator »

Hey Noshoes, I'm looking for an '87 shock if you decided to buy a right one, god knows there's enough out there for your year. It's the '87/'88 that are hard to find. I've seen enough looking for mine, but I'm about blind from the searcing I've been doing. When I'm up to it again I'll fwd all I see that's suitable for ya. Don't go cutting welding streching or any other mutilating just yet ... the RIGHT shock is out there and we'll find it !!!

Paul

Peppa2
Veteran Poster

Post by Peppa2 »

hello m8. flog the 87 øhlins on ebay and get another one. i know of a brand new here in norway for a bout 850 usd. i know there cost a bit more than others. There is another choise that is just as good as øhlins they are calle WP( White Power)
1990 FZR 1000..Image
COFFE FOR ALL THE LAZY ONES.
zzzzZzZZzzZzzzZzz

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

straygator wrote:Hey Noshoes, I'm looking for an '87 shock if you decided to buy a right one, god knows there's enough out there for your year. It's the '87/'88 that are hard to find. I've seen enough looking for mine, but I'm about blind from the searcing I've been doing. When I'm up to it again I'll fwd all I see that's suitable for ya. Don't go cutting welding streching or any other mutilating just yet ... the RIGHT shock is out there and we'll find it !!!

Paul
I am leaving it alone for now let me know if you see 1 for a 89/90 1000
maybe we can make a trade or if I find a 89/90 1 Ill think of you first when I sell this 1!!!!!! :D :D :D
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller