Which jacks ?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Which jacks ?

Post by silver »

Last fall I bought a pair of jacks to hoist the bike up for tire work. Unfortunately I'm not made of money so I had to buy the cheapies. The rear one works OK though I'd rather use something that is more careful on the finish of the swingarm. The front has a lot of slack in its design as well and the bike nearly went over when I was lifting her for a tire change. As a result, the wife and I agree that buying a better pair of jacks is definitely in order. Any recommendations ?

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Pitbull seems to be the sturdiest. I'd recommend the Yoke stand over the conventional fork stand.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

barneyfzr600
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by barneyfzr600 »

I got the front stand for under a hundred bucks on ebay. Its a DMP S-Spec, it came with a bunch of pins, but none fit the FZR1000. So I e-mailed them the size I needed and they sent it to me for free! The rear is a pitbull that I've had for years. Both hold up well. When you look for the front yoke stand, look for one that offers a set of different sized pins. I believe Lockhart Phillips has a stand that offers this.

Woot, I had a FZR1K.................now I got a '02 R1, but still lookin for the right EXUP......

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Care to share what the right size is?
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

NoItsNotAnR1
Veteran Poster

Post by NoItsNotAnR1 »

I really like my Vortex stand. Sum of all Parts has been offering a pretty sweet deal on a front, rear, and set of spools. With the spools you won't have to worry about the swingarm finish. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vortex-F ... enameZWDVW

Both Vortex and Pitbull list the pin for the majority of Yamahas (including FZR 1K) as the "standard pin". No idea what that is in millimeters.
Blaine
97 YZF1000

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Just got a set of PitBull's for the R1
Works very well..
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

fe911
Veteran Poster

stands

Post by fe911 »

I bought a pitbull($70) and a kwik lift($50) off of craigslist. Good place to look for used. If it is a good stand, used doesn't matter.
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

MadHaqr9
Veteran Poster

Post by MadHaqr9 »

There was a similar discussion on stands recently, this may help

http://exupbrotherhood1.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?p=41607

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

I dont remember what it cost me (and it was cheap due to employee discount), but I have a stand that is a factory Suzuki part. It has 2 nice rubber padded L brackets that cradle the underside of the swingarm. It also has a pair of springs/pins that can be used to adjust width for different bikes...

I found that it is stable enough to allow me to put a jack under the EXUP valve and get the front end just high enough to get the tire off, although u have to be careful as the bike can be tippy...
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

I use tiedowns to hang my 1000 from everything from a tree to a beam, this with a swingarm, work killa!!!!!!!!!!!
:banana :poke :hissy :laughing :popcorn :pistol :popcorn :laughing :hissy :poke :banana
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

barneyfzr600
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by barneyfzr600 »

Sorry Tim, forgot about that :? I measured with a tape measure cause I couldn't find the caliper and requested a 20mm, but it was kinda small still. It's probably a 21mm!
Woot, I had a FZR1K.................now I got a '02 R1, but still lookin for the right EXUP......

RiceRocket1
Veteran Poster

Post by RiceRocket1 »

I have a WoodCraft Front Solo stand, (for all)

and a WoodCraft Rear Spool (for the ZX10, and F4i Race Bike)

and a LockHart Rear (copy - for the FZR)

Here is the pin chart for the WoodCraft

ftang
Veteran Poster

Post by ftang »

There's nothing like a stand that lets you mess with the swing arm and shock and the front end as well. Mine's an Abba stand (red, appropriately, cos I always fancied the redhead) and they come from here http://www.abbastands.co.uk/ though ebay helps too. Easy, simple and rock solid.

There are other makes that do the job as well. If you're going to spend some money, why not? Using it is no more hassle than a paddock stand and just as safe.

And, no, I don't have shares in the company.
(1994 YZF750R)

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

RiceRocket1 wrote:and a LockHart Rear (copy - for the FZR)

I have the same rear stand for my FZR only it's white instead of black. Works well for swingarms that don't have the spools.

Don

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

Heres a stand that I made...similar to the abba style one...very sturdy too

and the drawings of how to make it. It cost less than £20

If the pics aren't clear enough and anyone wants to make one, contact me and I'll send you the pics as attachments in a larger file

cheers
Paul

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by owdamer »

I've had an abba stand for years. Its a great piece of kit, well worth the money, but if you have access to welding equipment then stigs home made version is a fantastic idea.
1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.
Getting older by the day.

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Pitbulls only. Had a lockhart but it wouldnt work with the 750. Plus you can climb on the bike with pitbulls and it wont fall over.
YZFRob