Marchesini project.

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
fe911
Veteran Poster

Marchesini project.

Post by fe911 »

Hey everyone, I've got a new project for the bike. I'm going to be fitting a set of Marchesini magnesium wheels to my 750 track bike. I thought this would be a good thread since we all drool over those fancy aftermarket wheels, but know finding a set made for our bikes is nearly impossible. Except for the guy who beat me out on an auction for an actual set about a month ago-may he rot in hell.

So, this is where I start. A set of Marchesini's from a 2000 R1. When I talked to the guy, I thought I had asked all the right questions to make fitment a reasonable challenge.

First problem I encountered was the front axle diameter, R1 is about 2mm larger, might be able to fix it with an R1 axle, I don't know. Second problem is the rear rotor, it has a 180mm diameter race rotor that might have to stay- I like it and it weighs nothing. Will try to get an R1/6 bracket machined to fit. Everything else a local machinist said he would have no problem with. Will have to cut down 8mm off of the huge cush drive washer/spacer.

This is my track day bike, so I'm excited about trying out the 16.5" slicks on the bike. One big surprise that I'm happy about is the overall width of the Michelin 190 slicks are the same (7 1/2") width as my Dunlop qualifiers that are on it now. So they should fit nicely in the swingarm and clear the torque arm for the brake.

Now for what we all really care about:

Weight of stock wheels. (with tires, rotors sprockets and cush drives-no specers)
Front 28lbs. 6 ounces
Rear 37lbs. 8ounces-this is with a 170 rear that weighs less than a 180
Marchesini weight (with all hardware and tires)
Front 23lbs. 10ounces
Rear 27lbs. 3ounces

15lbs of weight loss where it counts!!!
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

rgvlc
Veteran Poster

Post by rgvlc »

Good Luck with the swap. I have Dymag 5 spokes on mine, you will notice a big difference in the handling. As you say it is the best place to lose weight from the bike.