went down this weekend

The say a picture is worth a thousand words. Take a look at what the other EXUP Worldwide members ride, or post your own pride & joy. Please use your submission point, or post your own link.
stonehopr
New Poster

went down this weekend

Post by stonehopr »

What a weekend. Started off by trucking the bike and 2 kayaks up to a friends cabin in Fryburg Maine. Took off sat afternoon and arrived at camp about 7:00. unloaded the bike and did a little mudding. (got stuck, bla bla bla)

Sunday roles around and I say to myself…..this is a really nice area up here, I’ve never been here and want to go for a nice long scenic ride, who can help me ??? (enter stage left Rob). So called up the always dependable ’01. we decided to meet up at 9:30 in Conway NH.

From here it was all a great time. The temps were great, mid 50’s not a single cloud in the sky….a bit windy though, possible 30 mph gusts. Perfect riding conditions. The back roads were a bit frost heave ridden but still doable. From here we planned out a nice loop down rt 112 (kankamangus highway) and around the central portion of the white mountain national forrest. Plans sounded great.

Plans sounded great for only 15 mins before disaster struck. We rode the kank for 10 miles until we found this small little road off of it named Bear Trap Road. It was known to be a nice lightly driven smooth paved 18 foot wide road following the sacco river (?) up back to Conway. Awesome sounds great!!! Lets do it!!!!

It didn’t take long till I realized why bikes were not ever meant to be on ice. we were coming over a small rise in the road, 10 foot rise w/ the same on the other side. The only prob was that on the other side there was a 15x30 patch of icey mush. Holly shit!!!!! Rob was infront and hit it first but because he was infront of me by about 30 ft, I did not even see him react to the patch, he coasted right over it, didn’t hit the breaks, gass or anything……I was not so luckey. I believe I entered the top of the crest at an angle. This meant that when I hit the ice disaster struck. I tried not to turn, flintch, or move an inch. No luck, the front cranked to the left and the rear pushed out about 2 feet. We were doing about 40. the bike was perfectly sliding across the ice until the ice ran out and pavement caught the back tire. From here it gets a little groogy, but here’s what I remember.

The back tire caught and I highsided making me an instant super man and landing on my side/stomach facing forward while sliding. From here my body’s momentum somehow turned me around in the slide counter clockwise so now I was sliding backwards on my stomach watching the bike follow me about 2 feet away. From here I began to slow down in the slide and the bike pushed against my hands. I actually pushed off of the seat pad to stop it from hitting me. About 75-90 (?) feet later we both came to a stop in a small patch of pine needles.

My track days have taught me that if you slide you should count to 5 when you stop sliding to be extra sure you are done sliding. So in my 5 count all I can hear in the background is rob yelling “corey!!! Holly shit man, dude, hey, man are you ok??!!! Shit bro, hey man hey corey!!!!” he was about 50 ft down the way so I gave him the thumbs up and proceded to check my body for injuries.

The outcome/repair list:

Myself:
-gearne boots did well, small scratches
-joe rocket gloves had scrapes on the palms and one of the thumbs rubbed through
-tecknik jacket did awesome! Elbows rubbed in a bit, but sliding on my stomach for 70 feet it did very well.
-Hyne Gerreck textile riding pants, ripped a bit where I landed on my left leg, did not rip through to the charhartts I had on under.

All in all, the only damage to myself was to my left leg (upper quad) whitch kills and is going to bruise up like a bitch tomorr.

The bike:
-right frame slider bent down at a 45 degree angle upon inpact of the highside, then was worn about an inch from the end. It did its job very well
-fairings: front right fairing cracked a piece off of the upper body where it contacted w/ the frame, cracked under where the slider crunched against the motor., front fairing rashed a bit in left side next to the light.
-right mirror very rashed, and pushed off the pegstand. Mirror itself did not smash.
-fairing stay bent inward from the inpact near the mirror
-front master cylinder was actually hit by the faring stay and cracked sending fluid all over the dash. Cracked where the outlet hose connects to the resivior.
-pipe all rashed to hell, lengthwise. Knocked the baffeling loose inside too.
-right rear passenger handle the rubber rubbed down to the metal
-front right peg off!!!! We had to go to a local gararge and use rob’s fancey connections to borrow some tools to remove the rear peg and put it in the front peg.

Forks, frame, subframe, radiator, clip on’s, seat, tank all were un harmed and not damaged!!!

The rest of the day went well, we actually logged nearly 50 miles after the event. Had a great lunch and got some good pics of the mt Washington.

Rob thanks again for a great time, sorry I cut the fun short. It’s always an adventure!!!!!
Add your pics too man!!!!!

The pics:

-Blue/Silver 2000 YZF 600R

"I am white because sun does not go through leather riding jackets bitch!"

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Dang Corey!!! I'm so very happy to hear that you only got bruised up and that there is minimal damage to the scoot.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

You need a massage

Post by djalbin »

Corey wrote:The temps were great, mid 50’s not a single cloud in the sky….a bit windy though, possible 30 mph gusts.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Here the mid 50's had better be the morning low and winds not above 5-10 to register as a good day. I guess that's why people up north are considered to be a hardy bunch. I'm glad to hear you and the bike made it through with just a few scratches and bruises. That was no small patch of ice. It always feels like crap when your bike goes down. Buff out the scratches on the bike and treat yourself to a massage.

(BTW - in the picture, what was wrong with the side of the road where there was no ice? Image

Don
Last edited by djalbin on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear you came out of it in good health.

kudos to you for riding with the appropriate gear. hope you have a speedy recovery to both your body and your bike.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

stonehopr
New Poster

Re: You need a massage

Post by stonehopr »

djalbin wrote:
Corey wrote:
(BTW - in the picture, what was wrong with the side of the road where there was no ice? Don

the patch was on the other side of a rise. could'nt see it till i got to the top. god every time i look @ the pic, i just want to rewind time for 15 seconds and take it 3 feet to the left. lol guess it's not gonna happen.
-Blue/Silver 2000 YZF 600R

"I am white because sun does not go through leather riding jackets bitch!"

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

I have to say for reading your post before seeing the pics I'm surprised at how well the bike came out in the end. Damn glad to hear you didn't suffer any serious injuries. Remember people - gear, gear, gear!!! You just never know.

Yeah, that hindsight thing always sucks. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out all the what-ifs. Something like that you really can't prepare for. Take solice in the fact that it could've been much worse.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery to you as well as the bike.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

The name of the road is bear notch road, my neck of the woods. I went by the road today riding thru crawford notch on 302... Bear notch isnt very good ( frost heaves),was it even open????? :banana :banana :banana
Last edited by noshoes on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90 FZR 1000/92 FZR 1000 streetfighter
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

The road wasnt open till the 27th!!! I hate to sound harsh but you went around a gate on a closed road then you were speeding down a winding road you have never been down in the "White Mountains" in early spring. Just another mass rider that thinks laws in New Hampshire dont apply to him!! :right :stupid :laughing
Last edited by noshoes on Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like me some FAST!!!!
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

SJTFZR1000
Veteran Poster

Post by SJTFZR1000 »

well congrats noshoes

your the first ive read in this site with something nasty to say about another poster.(not what we need)like you havent done somethin illeagal before.what a :banana
1990 RACING FZR1040 & BROKEN 2001 YZF R1

noshoes
Veteran Poster

Post by noshoes »

Well 54 people were killed in N.H. last year on motorcycles 3/4 of them were not from N.H. If someone does something stupid I have no problem sayn it was stupid!!! What do you want me to say "Oh to bad there was ice and snow on a road that was closed and its to bad you were doing 40 in a 25 on a narrow winding road that you have NEVER been on in your life!" If he was alone and got hurt he would a dead man. I was being honest if you took it as nasty then thats your deal !!!!!!! :poke :poke :poke
I like me some FAST!!!!

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

I have to agree -

that was stupid riding on stone's part and I'm big enough to tell him that to his face (he lives next door) lol - I also have a mean viscious dog that will nip his heels if he tries anything in retaliation

I like the kid and I dont want to see him wreck....so I'm with noshoes here and I'm gonna tell him to slow down on public streets - save it for the track

I'm sort of glad someone had sense enough to state what otherwise should be the obvious

I admit that I'm a dummy at times when on the freeway but generally stay away from traffic when doing anything silly

jjs777
Co-Admin

Post by jjs777 »

but he is not a dummy rider from mass...he's a dummy rider from vermont :banana

you just cant see the gun rack on the back of his bike in any of the pictures

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

clash

Post by djalbin »

Looks like a clash among the northeast riders. I'm too far away in Arizona to get involved so I guess I'll just watch Image

Don