My little piece of history

The say a picture is worth a thousand words. Take a look at what the other EXUP Worldwide members ride, or post your own pride & joy. Please use your submission point, or post your own link.
teamslak
New Poster

My little piece of history

Post by teamslak »

As you may know, the OW01 was released in 1989. From what I have gathered, there were 17 W models and 4 A models imported to Australia with the necessary compliance plate for homologation in the Australian Superbike Championships (minimum 20 units).
Most of these were either used by the local distributor race team or sold to racers although a few were bought and not raced. When the YZF-750 was released the remaining new OW01’s were sold to interested Yamaha dealers (4 bikes), one of which was the dealership where I worked as workshop manager.
It sat on the showroom floor for a few years and I must say that I was always telling anyone who would listen that I thought it was a fine looking piece of equipment. I used to check it out (as did everyone else) every time I walked past it.
One day I was told by my boss that he had sold the bike and it was going to someone that he knew would look after it. Imagine the look on my face a few days later (after I helped him to load it into the ute for delivery) when I came home from work to find something foreign in my shed.
You guessed it, my darling wife had bought me the greatest gift I could ever receive, my very own brand new OW01 Yamaha. Sure it was 1995 and it was 6 years old, but still came with the new bike warranty. I rode it on the road for a year (about 4000km) and then started to do track days on it every now and then, promising myself not to wear it out and keeping the engine below about 11,000 rpm.
That worked OK for a while, but as the time rolled by it was getting a bit of 13,000 revs every time it went down a straight. It was time to sort that lot out so I sold a TZ250D I had restored to finance another motor for the OW. The original engine is resting comfortably in storage and in it’s place is a 1996 YZF1000 thunderace motor.
The motor bolted straight into the lower mounts and only needed two new top plates to allow for the 1000’s taller cylinder. I put in a six speed from a YZF750R and used thunderace carbies. The exhaust is FZR1000W headers with a Lazer tail pipe and muffler. It really is that simple and there are only a few fiddly jobs like cables and fuel hoses to sort out.
It went onto the dyno before I took it to the track to make sure it was close jetting wise and made 138HP with too rich main jets and a slipping clutch so I guess its putting out around 140HP now that it's sorted.
I must admit, as a lover of motorcycles, that I do feel honoured every time I get on it and go for a spin. It has proven to be as trouble free as any bike I have owned and I wish I could ride it more.
Thanks for getting to know about my pride and joy and I hope that I haven’t dribbled on too much.
Regards, ’Slak
Before I pulled it apart yesterday for a service/tune. (It hasn't gone for 18 months). Fairing and seat is race glass, painted by a mate for a carton of beer in original paint scheme.

Without fibreglass and fuel tank.

I am happy with the job I did making some new footpegs.

It comes with the little tag

Well you may as well port the cylinder head while your putting in the 6 speed. Insulated heat shield to give the carbs a bit of a chance.

I would like to use FCR Kehin carbs but I haven’t found any at the right price yet.

Here is the new top engine mount. Bike runs without alternator and starter motor.

Catch tank built into lower cowl in case of failures.

Wearing out the knee sliders at Eastern Creek in Sydney.

I can always take the wife's '06 R1 out if I want to keep my eye in!

Thanks for having a look...Cheers, 'Slak

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Looking at that Pic of your beautiful 0w01, i think i may well be the one dribbling a bit

WOW

The story of your bike is great, and how cool is your wife,
I raced an FZR 750 for a few years, but stoped going any faster, so i played with the idea of finding an 0w01 to use.
Alas i brought a house an the funds to go racing dried up. This was 10 years ago, when the idea of ride days was still in it's intfantsy.

I did find an 0w01, it was the spare bike for the MYDT as used in the 1989 series, riden by Peter Goddard. it was a little smashed up but it was intact

Anyway, enough of my dribble.
If you come to Melb for the GP let me know,
regards
stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

haunter
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by haunter »

that is an amazing piece of work!
88 FZR 1000 - SuperTrap, K&N, FP kit - sold
90 FZR 1000 - 1040, Ohlins, 91 USD's...some other stuff - sold

93 FZR 600 - rat/cafe/POS/Trackbike Project
03 SV1000S - bye bye
06 R6 50th Anniversary - slip on, PCIII, race rails

willi
Veteran Poster

Post by willi »

YOUR SO LUCKY TO HAVE A MACHINE LIKE THAT.DEFENATLY A TALKING PEICE. :banana
89 FZR1000
07 CBR1000RR
07 HYOSUNG COMET 250R
Image http://www.freshfm.com.au/

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Simply Stunning and a great read.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

mat page
New Poster

ow 01

Post by mat page »

:P Fantastic,love the story and the pics,the ow 01's rock,they look mean and sexy at the same time,its competitor the rc30 was just sexy,plus it was a h**da.
My dream garage would be my 'exup,ow 01 and a vmax(think i may have a thing for 'yam's) :banana
Yours is the dogs,kept the standard looks but with the 1000 motor to really upset the gixer and blade boys on track,could look at your bike for hours it really is that good,congratulations on a top bike.just wish my wife was as understanding as yours!! :hissy
show 'em how to ride
'89 exup smokes 'em

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Well done slak - a beautifull bike, and by the sound of it, a great wife too.

Cheers
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

haunter
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by haunter »

kiwi60 wrote:Well done slak - a beautifull bike, and by the sound of it, a great wife too.

Cheers
no doubt, my fiance would be extremely happy if I gave bikes up(her only true flaw :) )

would be nice to have her be so supportive!
88 FZR 1000 - SuperTrap, K&N, FP kit - sold
90 FZR 1000 - 1040, Ohlins, 91 USD's...some other stuff - sold

93 FZR 600 - rat/cafe/POS/Trackbike Project
03 SV1000S - bye bye
06 R6 50th Anniversary - slip on, PCIII, race rails

YEC_YZF750SP
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YEC_YZF750SP »

That's an INCREDIBLE story........your wife is definitely a keeper!! Thanks for sharing your sexy OW01!! Absolutely brilliant!! :banana

Julian