KIWI's Race Day

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

KIWI's Race Day

Post by kiwi60 »

The alarm went of at 5.30 and it was out of bed and soon on my way to the track.
It's about an hours drive, but mostly motorway so it was an easy cruize.
I got to the track just after eight and found a spot with the other Post Classic Racers.

I still wasn't 100% happy with the front brakes so I got Duke22 to bring out some brake fluid and we got some more air bubbles out :banana

Timed practice went really well and a time in the 1.09's is my best by over 2 seconds :) This got me fifth on the grid, right behind pole.

I got a good start and got my head down (as much as I can) and was having a great time trying to get passed an extremly fast, well ridden GS1000.

Everytime we came over the hill (up and over a 70 degree RH corner) I was having to roll off the throttle as the GS carried less corner speed than me, but I still couldn't get past him on the straight - that thing just rocketed out of corners.

I had a go at getting round the outside at the end of the second to last lap at the end of the start finish straight, but he closed the door on me.

I figured I had one chance, and that was over the hill coming onto the front straight so I let him get about 20 meters in front at the start of the hill and started winding it on.

I caught him right on the crest and decided the the outside line was best.
I drifted a little wide towards the ripple strip, no problem I thought, but I drifted a couple of inches too far and ran over the start of the strip which has had a depression dug out of the dirt due to the cars doing the same thing.

The impact of front wheel with the edge of the ripple strip was enough to rip a 2" chunk from the rim, and split and bent the rear rim.
A violent tank slapper followed and I was a passenger on a wildly vibrating bike heading up the grass on the side of the track with no chance of either controlling or slowing the bike (two flat tyres).

It must have only been a second or two but I decided the grass was softer than the amco and bailed out, but unfortunatley the bike continued down the track for quite a way and ended up clobbering a marshall (not too bad though).

I'm bent and bruised, but nothings broken (trip to the out patients and x-rays confirmed that), but it will be a while until the bike is back on the track.
My wife saw the whole thing and remained remarkedly calm, and I was on my feet within a few seconds and walking back to the pits, and any off you can limp away from isn't too bad.

Damaged seems to be 2 knackered rims and tyres, top fairing, foot pegs etc - oh well, I was going to re-paint it anyway :roll:

If anyone can tell me how fast 8,000rpm in 4th gear on and EXUP with std gearing is, I'd be interested to know.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i have been waiting for this race report to be put up, i didn't expect it to end like that, man that must have been a massive hit

But as we all know, if your prepared to race, you have to be prepared for an off, I'm glad your Ok Kiwi, and look foward to seeing the next paint job

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Dude...I feel your pain!

Any crash you walk away from is a good one. Sounds like you and the bike were going well too.

Bring on the next paint job :)

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

ozzyfzr
Veteran Poster

Post by ozzyfzr »

Glad your OK, bikes can be fixed!!!!
Regards
Ozzyfzr
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

Holy crap what a first race!!!
Glad your OK the bike doesnt seem that bad, so lucky is the word of the day..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

Nelis
New Poster

Post by Nelis »

Damn man that sucks. Lucky you hot out of that crash unhamed. Good luck rebuilding your bike!
YZF 750 SP '94

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Holy crap what a first race!!!
As they say - 'that's entertainment'

Yeah, everyone in the pit was saying the same thing - what went wrong - Graham never crashes...well not for the last two seasons I raced in anyway.

I went up to the control tower and had a look at the video footage and it certainly looks good :oops:

I've asked for a copy of the video and I'l post it when / if it arrives.

Duke22 was a great help getting the remains back home.

I'll have a good look at the riding gear during the day, but I can certainly confess that good gear pays off when you need it, time to go shopping for at least a new helmet though.
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

duke22
Veteran Poster

Post by duke22 »

What Kiwi doesn't make clear is that after he bailed out the bike hit the fence on the outside of the track, then veered back on to the track and ran most of the length of the start finish straight, slowly drifting across the track and scaring the bejesus out of following riders racing for the flag. It then hit the fence on the inside of the track, right by the start finish line and fell over, clipping a slow moving start line marshall on the way. The poor woman was probably the most unlucky part of the whole thing and was later seen on crutches.

I don't wish a crash on anyone, but if you're going to do it you should try to do it with style, and Kiwi gets ten out of ten for that. No anonymous gravel trap out on the back of the circuit for this lad... :) It was certainly the talk of the paddock for the rest of the day.

How's the bruises today Kiwi?

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

What Kiwi doesn't make clear is that after he bailed out the bike hit the fence on the outside of the track, then veered back on to the track and ran most of the length of the start finish straight, slowly drifting across the track and scaring the bejesus out of following riders racing for the flag.
Can't say I saw any of that, when I stood up, the bike was know where to be seen!!!
I had no idea which way it went after we parted ways, and I was most surprised to see how far it went with out me.
if you're going to do it you should try to do it with style, and Kiwi gets ten out of ten for that. No anonymous gravel trap out on the back of the circuit for this lad... It was certainly the talk of the paddock for the rest of the day.
If your going to do - do it well :banana oh how we laugh - until I have to move...
How's the bruises today Kiwi?
Um, a quiet day at home today - I've found a whole lot of new sore bits this morning and didn't get any sleep last night.

I checked the riding gear out this morning - helmets well and truly munted, looks like it possibly bounced off the amco on the way past, but everything else has a liberal coating of dust and grass but no major damage.

2005 SV996R SOLD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

clipping a slow moving start line marshall on the way. The poor woman was probably the most unlucky part of the whole thing and was later seen on crutches.
Just got an email from the race organisers, apparantly she managed to do it while running across the track to see if I was ok

By the way, the damage to Leanne wasn’t caused by the bike hitting her, it barely touched her – it was the sprint across the track in the face of oncoming bikes that caused the damage!! And that’s from the ambos!

2005 SV996R SOLD

Mike_SS
Veteran Poster

Post by Mike_SS »

Look forward to seeing the vid. Sounds pretty spectacular.
looks like it possibly bounced off the amco on the way past
Did the ambos check your helmet out? Standard practice over here after any crash. You made it through the night so you'll probably be OK. :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

1994 YZF750R Race/Track Bike
1992 FZR1000 Race/Track Bike

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Just got this shot from one of the race organizers...couldn't help adding the caption

2005 SV996R SOLD

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Did the ambos check your helmet out? Standard practice over here after any crash. You made it through the night so you'll probably be OK. Smile
No need to, the helmet is a write-off as soon as the gelcoat has been broken, and there are three very small points where this has happened and a bit of gravel rash on the side.

Ambo's and medical centre gave me a full check up - all ok apart from the obvious.

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Wow... I picked a morning for a sleep in! I usually check in to see if there are any morning updates from the early risers in NZ. This certainly isn't the news we wanted :cry:

However, the good things are that you are okay, and the bike looks pretty good considering. Sounds like the ripple strips are fairly vicious over there at Pukekohe. (Winton here are huge also)

Thanks for the great write up, I found myself having a (albeit guilty) chuckle reading how it all unfolded. Do you get any points for the bike going over the line... even without you on it :) Can't wait to see the footage. Cheers,

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Thanks for the great write up, I found myself having a (albeit guilty) chuckle reading how it all unfolded.
Happy to entertain you spook, just repaying the debt after reading of your PI off.
Do you get any points for the bike going over the line... even without you on it
Nah - they listed me as a DNF.

I did have the satisfaction of having a look at my race lap times which were all in the 1.11 / 1.10 range, and it felt comfortable - as in not happening to fast.

The bike was super stable everywhere and for the first time I was blueing the front discs under braking, which is something that wasn't happening with the same pads when I was running the 750, so I'll have a look at EBC HH pads.

It's this stability that gave me the confidence to go for the outside pass and no blame can be put on the bike, it's just a combination of pilot error causing a racing incident. :oops:

The extra padding I put on the back of the seat worked a treat keeping me in place with the wheel coming up out of a medium speed corner onto the back straight.

One of the other guys on a GSXR1100 made the comment that the bike certainly was hauling ass and he couldn't get by me on the back straight like he had for the last few years.

I'll leave the bike for a few weeks as my darling wife seems to have lost her sense of humour about racing just now, but is happy for me to get back out there again next season; which is what I'm planning anyway.

Will have to make a few decisions on replacement wheels, would prefer to have the same again, but it will depend on what's around.

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

Don't get me wrong Kiwi... No chuckling regarding the prang at all, but you and Duke tell a good story :) And yes I spend more time fixing than riding.

Sounds like you have quite a weapon in the old FZR, not sunrising considering the thought and development that has gone into it.

In regards to wheels, R6-R1 front and the R6 rear would probably be the lightest and most plentiful, though you would have to find some R7 discs to mate them to you 320mm forks and brakes. If your interested in disc spacing etc pm, and if you also let me know what you are fitted up with now I might be able to find some over here also.

I've just about finished a nose cone mould, so may be able to help there.

Take time to rest... the day after is always the worst, that's when you find out what you have really hurt. When you go to get up and move around and the Missus is near, it's okay to scream as long as you follow the shriek with "God That Feels Good" :) Take care :)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Don't get me wrong Kiwi... No chuckling regarding the prang at all, but you and Duke tell a good story Smile And yes I spend more time fixing than riding.
No worries spook, I took it the way you ment it :)

I was running the '88 FZR front wheel and an '89 EXUP 17" rear rim, and will probably stick with them as it was all working really well.

I think the politically correct thing for me to do is lay low around here for a few weeks, Lesley is happy for me to get back out there, but I’d better not push things – if you know what I mean.

Besides, I have no strength in my right hand so I can't even make a start for a while yet :| other wise the ol' bod seems to be settling down, so I'll head back to work tomorrow.

2005 SV996R SOLD

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Kiwi, sorry to see you come off like that, never seen damage to rims like that from running off, quite remarkable, I'd be sending the bill to the circuit owners! Could have been so much worse I guess, so that's one good thing. I nearly joined you on the weekend, I ran off the end of the back straight at Mac park, into the deep sandtrap, lucky to keep it upright and then paddle my way out and not get bogged. That was after I nearly highsided it. They're dangerous these bike things aren't they ?? !!

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:Lesley is happy for me to get back out there, but I’d better not push things – if you know what I mean.
Believe it or not, I do! It really is amazing how much support one gets from friends and loved ones with this sport. It really doesn't make that much sense to the casual observer, nor to the participant at times... especially when your in the process of sailing over the bars. I've know guys that have scared-hurt themselves so badly they have never got back on a bike :?

So Jason, rnd one of the Hartewll championship? How did you go???

JasonL
Veteran Poster

Post by JasonL »

Spook,

Went ok, lucked in for P6 and won the heats, (only 5 entrants!) didn't go so well on the 400, its a really competitive class and I never felt comfortable on the bike all weekend, my times stayed static and I ran about midfield all weekend. Had a big front end slide though a fairly fast right hander which put me off a bit. On the 750 I improved by 2 secs over the two days. I also ran the 750 in Pre Modern, which is for anything 10 yrs and older, so I took it out amongst the early R1's and fast 400's and the like, only 10th in first heat, second heat I was running 6th and ran off (again) and dropped 2 spots for 8th. I hadn't put in much effort qualifying for Pre Modern and was 15th on the grid but I didn't realise that down here that's where you start all races, and not where you finished in the previous race (ie: you can't make your way up the grid) so qualifying is crucial. Just makes me keener to get this FZR out for Hartwell Rnd 2 at Winton late April - if I'm right and it'll give me 2 secs a lap over the 750, I'll make more headway in pre Modern.