My first track day

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

:good

Good thinking there djalbin
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

I agree, good thinking there, Don. Considering I had to drop nearly $500 on books for this semester last night (and I'm still not done!) I don't think a third bike is in the future anytime soon...lol.

There was a married couple at the track who go around and take photos for NESBA for free. He started getting pictures posted up last night. He said that Gingerman is a tough place to get decent shots, but they still got some good ones. Here's a few "action" shots of me....

I'm really glad they were there to take photos. Funny how you think you are hanging so far off of the bike when you still have a good ways to go. Without the photos they took I would never had guessed I was that far off. I need to move further forward and get that leg out more. Looking back I leaned too much directly to the side instead of to the side and forward. I've been having problems with my left knee over the past few weeks. On the second to last session it decided to pop out on me going into turn 1. Not a good think when your leg locks up and can't move it at all going into a corner. Had to ease up and take a slow lap around until I get pop it back into place.

Damn I wish I could hit the track again this year!

Here's a link to my album: http://mwaphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/570 ... 5625_8QkQh

And pictures of everybody else: http://mwaphoto.smugmug.com/2008%20NESB ... ays/486583

I'll have to figure out which folder it's in, but he got a good sequence shot of a guy that low sided.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Good stuff Nate.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Funny how you think you are hanging so far off of the bike when you still have a good ways to go.
I know exactly what you mean orion, but don't worry about it, I've been racing since the mid 90's and have yet to get my knee on the deck.

It all comes down to your individual riding style and what works for you.
We have John Surtees come down every once in a while for a big classic meeting in February and has has the smoothest tucked in style you could imagine and he is lapping very close to the modern machine times on his old MV's.

Work on being smooth and find your own style.
Throttle control and breaking points are probably the first thing to work on, if you can get on the gas 1 second before the guy behind you on a similar bike, you'll be 6-10 bike lengths ahead of him at the end of an 800 meter straight.

Actually I tell a lie - I did get my knee down, unfortunatley it was the same time as I got the other knee down and witnessed my bike lying down on the job :? :?
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o