ANZAC MEETING

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

ANZAC MEETING

Post by kiwi60 »

Right then, last night I went to the committee meeting for the NZ Post Classic Racing Association and proposed that us Kiwis send a container of bikes over to the Barry Sheene Memorial meeting at Eastern Creek for 2011 - AND THEY HAVE ACCEPTED TO MOTION!!!!!!!!!

So - here we come :banana :banana

BUT...

we thought it would be a good idea to start dialog with the Aussie racing body who runs this meeting as our eligibility rules will be different to yours.

Weve spent 5 years establishing the pre'89 class and have a well thrashed out rule book now, which we are happy to make available should anyone over that side want to have a look at how we're policing things, and just as importantly, we would like to have a look at your rules to see if we'll be stepping on any toes with our bike set ups.

Some of the guys taking their pre'82 bikes to Philip Island in 2011 for the Classic Meeting will be having them transported up to the BS meeting as well, so it looks like it's going to be a real good time.

Four bikes confirmed as of last night, and I don't think it will take long for the numbers to build.

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1040 race bike SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD
Now he's got a KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope - Sold that one too
Dang - he’s got a Triumph now :o

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

yee haa!! Come on over & have some fun. If you need to be billited a couple of you can stay at my place. If im still racing in 2011. Sure you couldnt make it to the 2010 BSfos??

This may help>>http://www.postclassicracing.com.au/pages/home.aspx
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Thanks for the link, I'll have a good look through this evening.

2010 is a bit soon as there is a lot of organizing containers, co-ordinating whose going, arranging the carnet, fuel, MAF inspections, transport to and from the curcuit, etc etc.

To arrange next years race trip to the Philip Island Classic meeting, we're already under way with the planning, full list of racers going etc, so 2011 is the safe way to make sure we arrive all ready to play.
If im still racing in 2011.
I'll need you out there to show me the way round...I'll just follow the rubber you leave coming out of the corners.

I wonder if we can tepmt anyone from other countries to head down under as well :roll:
“I venture not to cross that finish line in a neat, tidy well ordered bundle, but to slide across it sideways in a shower of spark’s, leaking oil, hissing steam shouting ..Geronimo !!!!! “

2005 SV996R SOLD
1988 FZR750/1000 - the next project CHANGING THE LOOK AGAIN, BUT STILL ON THE ROAD

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

It's not so much leaving the country as getting back in, is my worry. Would love to come over for SURE!!!!
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

If things keep going the way they are here in the states, I might ship all of my stuff down there and stay. I've been wanting to visit anyway. An extended visit (permanent) would do I guess. :roll:
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

kiwi60 wrote:Thanks for the link, I'll have a good look through this evening.

2010 is a bit soon as there is a lot of organizing containers, co-ordinating whose going, arranging the carnet, fuel, MAF inspections, transport to and from the curcuit, etc etc.

To arrange next years race trip to the Philip Island Classic meeting, we're already under way with the planning, full list of racers going etc, so 2011 is the safe way to make sure we arrive all ready to play.
If im still racing in 2011.
I'll need you out there to show me the way round...I'll just follow the rubber you leave coming out of the corners.

I wonder if we can tepmt anyone from other countries to head down under as well :roll:
If you already have the Island classic sorted, it would be nothing to tack on the Barry Sheene as well. Even if you left the bike out here & went home. Then came back for the Barry. Im sure we could find homes for the bikes, in the short term..
Im not aloud to ride in the Island Classic, my bike is to young..
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Im not aloud to ride in the Island Classic, my bike is to young..
Same here, it's only the pre'82's that we can run there so my FZR has never got the chance, and this is exactly why I proposed the trip to EC, time to race you lot.

Next year we're sending two 20 foot containers of bikes to the Island Classic and hoping to talk some of our top international riders from the last few decades into giving them a dam good thrashing!!!!!
It's not so much leaving the country as getting back in, is my worry. Would love to come over for SURE!!!!
Just come on down, we'll figure out a way to get you back (or not as the case may be).
If things keep going the way they are here in the states, I might ship all of my stuff down there and stay. I've been wanting to visit anyway. An extended visit (permanent) would do I guess
We have a lot of new NZ citizens from the US, and all are welcome - especially if you bring your bikes

2005 SV996R SOLD

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Can you get Aaron Slight out of retirerment, or better still Simon Crafer, nar, Simon was odd to watch (with that straight head thing going on!!) but Slightly was always a pleasure to watch race

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

spook
Dolphin-headed purple plasma TLR thing?

Post by spook »

Or get Stan out of retirement?..... (and suddenly, it all went quiet!!)

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Were definatley going to approach Slighty, probably for the PI classic meeting for next year, but he hasn't seemed to be too keen on getting back on a bike for some years now (maybe a phone call from Rob Phillis could help there).

One of the other top 80's riders we have living in NZ is Fred Merkel, and I'm due to visit his company in Taupo in the next 8 weeks...hmm

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

Okay! I just phoned MA (again) with questions regarding the formalization of an 80's class, and it sounds as if there is some serious movement in this direction now. There is a forum being convened in Sydney on the 27th June to investigate the appropriate road to go down in this regard.

There is some talk of forgotten era (P5) being extended to to 82 and period 6 being 83-90. Ross at MA is sending through some info, so when it arrives I'll post it here. Period 5 was formalized in 1990, so the next era in my mind is well overdue.

He also indicated that the process of ratification usually takes about 18 months, so there is a chance that the Barry Sheene event, and perhaps even the Island classic will have ratified P6 events.

I reckon the fact that NZ is bringing a P6 contingency out for the Festival, may be a significant motivator in making it happen. Ross certainly was interested to hear about what your mob is up to Kiwi. Perhaps you should send yourself over for the June meeting Kiwi?

I mentioned a formula 750 class (80's superbikes) And he indicated the class if it eventuates will be strickly limited to 750 cc. So we will have to chuck our 911 and thou motors :)

Interesting.....

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

Almost time to bring my old beast back into the family

750cc you said....mmmmmm

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Hmm, this sounds really interesting, however the 750cc restriction not the right way to go as most production racing at that time was dominated by the big motors, and one of the major draw cards of the pre'89 class is the affordability of getting out on the track without having to needing to sink major $$$ into the motor.

If MA go this way, it will turn the class into cheque book racing and stifle the grids.

We have our rules onhttp://www.nzpostclassics.org.nz, and they cover all aspects of what is now the fastest growing racing class in New Zealand.

Somehow I think that if they put a 750 limit on it, kiwis won't bother coming over as most of us have gone, or are going the big cc low stressed engine way to keep costs down.

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

All the more reason for your mob to get involved in the discussion Kiwi. It (this) has nothing to do with me btw, I just phoned them to see what they where up to. You may remember a year or so ago I made same call to a majorly brick wall. One thing I do know is the politics of sport, and know once the window is opened, and the first rays of light shine through... well, it is time to move.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

Quite right there spook, don't worry - I know your just the messenger in this case, and this is vital information!!

Just a thought, have you got an email contact for who you've been talking to at MA?

I can email them and tell them that we are planning to bring bikes over in 2011 and we'd like to align our rules with theirs so all our bikes will be allowed to run.

If we can get onto PI as well - that's one fantastic bonus, I could then fall off at two aussie tracks :banana :banana

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

I think i may go to the conference in June, just out of interest. The info promised has not arrived, so I will ring again Monday. The fellow i spoke to is Ross Martin, he is the Commissions and Committees Manager. Email address is mail@ma.org.au, Website is www.ma.org.au

I'm not sure how they will end up organizing the classes, definitely no point leaving it to others to structure and then hating it for ever more! I think they will be keen to get it right.

Currently in Victoria Road Racing is divided into the following classes:
up to 125cc
132-250cc
263-350cc
526-1300cc
in period 3-4-and 5 there is a Formula 750 class 526-750cc

Even if they run a 750 class, there would be an unlimited option within the same race. I currently have to run in 526-1300cc when Basset was a 750cc I didn't have a chance against the 1200cc gsxr's. Whatever happens, there will be a class to race in. I certainly don't want to have to shelve 2xcira 1000 engines I'm building... And i wont have to :)

That said i do have one 750 that is going to stay that way! Cheers.

sbutler
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by sbutler »

P6 from 1983 to 1990 is a bit short. It needs to be a decade block IMO 83 to 93. That way Katanas,oil cooled GSXRs ZXR750s & the like would fit & it would exclude the GSXR750T and the ZX7rr. Which are 96 models anyway & shouldnt be racing in Pre modern anyway.
96 GSXR 750 racer gone
90 GSXR 750 racer gone
ZRX 1200 Roady to enjoy.
Retired TeamExup racer.

kiwi60
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by kiwi60 »

P6 from 1983 to 1990 is a bit short. It needs to be a decade block IMO 83 to 93. That way Katanas,oil cooled GSXRs ZXR750s & the like would fit & it would exclude the GSXR750T and the ZX7rr. Which are 96 models anyway & shouldnt be racing in Pre modern anyway.
I hear what your saying as we went through all the formula's concerning the cut off point and Dec '89 is the one that works as over the next 4-5 years significant advancements happened in motorcycle technology such as upsidown forks, the Fireblade (which made every bike before it obsolete), 6 piston brake calipers, etc etc, and if you let the earlier machines run these components it can quickly become cheque book racing, we also set it up as a silloette class so the bikes have to look period as well. :)

It's all about keeping some continuity in the racing, a bit like the Z1 Kawasaki not being allowed to race in the pre'72 class even though it was available in some markets in 1972 in limited numbers - it would simply blow all other machines into the weeds.

2005 SV996R SOLD

spook

Post by spook »

kiwi60 wrote:we also set it up as a silloette class so the bikes have to look period as well. :)
Same in our recognized classes Kiwi. The MA web page link will take you to a page that will allow you to down-load the entire 2009 manual of Motorsport. All the regs are there :)