Muffler mods ?

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Muffler mods ?

Post by silver »

I have a Yoshi RS-3 slip-on can on my '92 FZR1K and I found that at least one of the rivets at the base of the can is missing. Are these special rivets ? I'd imagine they need to withstand higher than normal temps and corrosive exhaust fumes. Also can the can be polished/plated/refinished ? Lastly can it be shortened a little ? I was thinking about cutting off 2" (5cm) and then re-riveting it.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Why not call/email Yoshi and ask about the rivets? Don't see why you coludnt shorten it, but take the baffle out first just so you know what you have in-store for yourself....
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Oh I'd certainly be taking it aparts prior to cutting it down. I was just hoping that someone else on the board might have already done this.

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

Wouldn't have thought the rivets would have been anything special. The temp isn't too extreme so stainless or mild steel will surfice.

As for reducing the can length.....
once its in pieces its easier to reduce the seperate parts by the same length than to cut the whole can all the way through

If the internal baffle is shorter than the outer sleeve by "X" inches...its easier to reduce the length of the outer by say 2" and then the baffle by 2"....
this still gives the "X" amount of clearance as the factory item and so things should fit back together as before...only shorter

does this make sense? (does to me) LOL

MIOB
Regular Poster

Post by MIOB »

I've just shortened mine, I used normal rivets, but I know taht there are also gastight riverts available. I think the normal rivets will be fine (especially when you have a carbon exhaust, they don;t get that hot), but they might not be airtight (not that that really mathers that much).

I shortened mine by cutting it up without disassembling first. I can recommend you to disassemble it first since the internal tube will probably have to be a bit shorter than the outer tube (I had a hell of a time trying to fit the endpiece back on).

temporary result (I'm a very inexperienced welder, so it still needs some work):

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Hope your right boot is heat resistant or you really dont mind burns. :lol:

Really never understood why people are so infatuated with underseat exhaust.
YZFRob

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

MIOB wrote: I can recommend you to disassemble it first since the internal tube will probably have to be a bit shorter than the outer tube (I had a hell of a time trying to fit the endpiece back on).
This is what I tried to point out :poke ;)

Bucko
New Poster

Post by Bucko »

Try this link for a how to on making a shorty can:
http://streetfighters.com.au/ASF_HT_shor_can.asp

MIOB
Regular Poster

Post by MIOB »

Stig wrote:
MIOB wrote: I can recommend you to disassemble it first since the internal tube will probably have to be a bit shorter than the outer tube (I had a hell of a time trying to fit the endpiece back on).
This is what I tried to point out :poke ;)
I was just underlining your point ;)
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert