Ok, it's lid time, need input please

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Ok, it's lid time, need input please

Post by Mad Hatter »

My KBC Force S is about done. Too noisy for me. I just purchased an Arai Quantum/F but it ended up being too big for some reason. So that will go away as eBay fodder. (PM f interested, it's brand new, never worn and a Large)

I have been looking at the Arai Vector and it fits me great in a medium. But before I chunk $500 on a lid I'd like to hear some input on alternative helmets. Let hear what you have and your likes and dislikes.
1987 Excite Bike Champion

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

jimcos3
Veteran Poster

Post by jimcos3 »

I've been wearing Arai Quantums for a long time and have been really happy with them. I just bought an Arai Astral on Ebay for $200 (new) in my medium size and it fit terrible. Way too tight. It also deosn't have some of the bells and whistles (like the retractable chin deflector). I heard later that Arai has 3 different head shapes that there helmets are made for and you need to be careful that the style suits your head. I think I read about that (the size types) on the Arai website. So I don't recommend that hat but I love my old Quantum.

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

jimcos3 wrote:I've been wearing Arai Quantums for a long time and have been really happy with them. I just bought an Arai Astral on Ebay for $200 (new) in my medium size and it fit terrible. Way too tight. It also deosn't have some of the bells and whistles (like the retractable chin deflector). I heard later that Arai has 3 different head shapes that there helmets are made for and you need to be careful that the style suits your head. I think I read about that (the size types) on the Arai website. So I don't recommend that hat but I love my old Quantum.
MotoLiberty here has a full line of Arai lids. The RX7, Quantum2, Astral, Vector, etc. I tried them all after I found my size. The Vector fit perfect. I would like to try a Shoei TZ next and see what the hubub is about.

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Suomey. or Shoei
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

In the uk, Arai & Shoei make shells differently so they cater for differnt shaped heads and of course different markets

You either have an Arai head or like me...a Shoei (which I can't fault) :D

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

How long do you guys usually use a helmet for? I know the mfgs recommend replacing helmets every 2-3 years. The reasons are justifiable, but I have a hard time laying down $500+ for a helmet I could only use for a few seasons.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

I wear a HJC CL-12 Street Fighter full face helmet. DOT and SNELL approved. Very comfortable fit for me. Good ventilation. I only replace my helmets if they are dropped, damaged, or begin to deteriorate.

Don

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i'm with don on the replacement schedule.

bicycle helmets are also supposed to be replaced every two years. but they also have a large portion of the impact absorbing foam exposed directly to the sunlight which speeds up the breakdown of the foam.

my kbc lid is ok, but the liner is starting to fall down in the front and it puts a tad too much pressure on my forehead. it's about two years old.

i tried on every arai shell shape and found that the astral fit me very well. a shoei also fit nice.

i like the suomy stuff but got some pressure on the front and back of my skull.

how tight to the circumference of your skull do you guys go when choosing a helmet?
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I like mine pretty snug however I leave just enough room to wear a balaclava in the cooler weather. It's a real tight fit then but this also leaves a little breathing room in the summer time. I'm currently using a HJC Yikes III which you can see at :

http://www.newenough.com/product_pictur ... silver.jpg

I like it a good deal better than my old Shoei's however they were real old (NOS) when I bought them. I replace helmets about every 3 years unless they are getting really funky.

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

I get it tight enough that it wont turn from side to side w/o the cheekpads.
It is snug.

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

Agree with Don

unless its damaged...i'll keep it

My last Shoei cost £200 ($400) and then the paint job was another £300 ($600)
...so I won't be replacing it in a hurry :?

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

This guy has about 50 or so helmets....

And yes, the leathers and helmets once belonged to:
Lucky Strike: Darryl Beattie (Suzuki)
Marlboro: Wayne Rainey (Yamaha)
Rothmans: Mick Doohan (Honda)
and you can see one of Rossi's helmets as well.

This guy is one of our members and has way more than this, you just wouldn't beleive. I can't beleive it everytime he send's me more pics. Be it Gear or Bikes........ WOW!
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Does he wear all that ?

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Doubtful as each racers Leathers are pretty much custom made for them. As far as the lids go? Same thing different size heads.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

Like Shoie for racing and Arai for street, Local club requires new lid every couple years and Shoie cost @ 1/2 of Arai tho comfort and noise level are worlds appart. for dirt, HJC is the lightest , most comfortable lid I.ve encountered.G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

RUFtech
Veteran Poster

Post by RUFtech »

I've tried on Shoie's and Arai's. Both cover my eyebrows which keeps me from being able to wear my sunglass and it also feels like they are trying to push my eyes closed. I bought a Suomy Extreme and love it. It fit super snug at first. After about 2 weeks it formed to my head and now is snug but very comfotable. I wear a large. It sits above my eyebrows. It is a little noisy due to how much air comes through the vents. It flows a lot of air and stays fairly cool even in our Texas summers. I have an HJC that is really quiet but can't wear it if it is even a little warm because it makes my head sweat like crazy due to crappy venting. It seems better venting means more noise.
Bob
'97 YZF750R (sold)
'87 Porsche 944 Turbo
'04 GTO
If you haven't seen god your not going fast enough

Mad Hatter
Veteran Poster

Post by Mad Hatter »

Thanks for the input fellas. I decided on a Arai Vector. I guess I will be spending a lot of time in it since I can't get my truck running. I guess I;ll call the "Cash for cars running or not " guys.

1989 FZR 1000
1999 CBR 900rr

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i'll take that phone number once you're done with it.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

I've got two that need to go somewhere soon. A '95 Mercury Villager with 350,k miles, a barely functioning transmission and missing half the dash due to a heater core issue. Also a Ford Ranger that I haven't had the time to work on yet. I think it just has a blown clutch. Either on the road or down it they go as soon as spring breaks. Anyone making out in selling parts on Ebay ? I was wondering if it's worth the time to bother with it.

Regarding the Arai helmets, are they much quieter than the HJC's ? I like my HJC but the amount of wind noise is significant. Guess I should duck behind the screen a little but there's this accumulation of carbs in the way.

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

Noise from the wind ain't an issue from any lid when you're a short R's like me ... need a cushion just to see over the top of the screen so don't get alot of buffeting from the wind :D